Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2016 ELR, love the car. I wanted to take it to a car wash but I can’t figure out how to fold the side mirrors. The manual says that the side mirrors can be folded but I am unable to move them. Is the manual wrong? If not how do you fold them?

·
2016 ELR
16 ELR
96 Posts
They manually fold in. They are a little tough to get going but they do move.

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
343 Posts
yeah it's weird, I feel like I'm going to break them off. Although I finally was able to move my passenger side mirror, I still can't get the courage up to get my drivers side mirror moving. At this point I feel like I'm going to have to do a Hulk Hogan on it to free it up. ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like it will take more strength than I have to move them, as I push I’m moving the car and they still don’t move.

·
2016 ELR
16 ELR
96 Posts
I guess I have never tried the driver's mirror, only the passenger's mirror, so I can't speak on that one. But I would think it would be exactly the same. I can't believe the mirrors don't automatically fold since they automatically move when you go in reverse. It doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was in a XTS once it it has motorized folding mirrors where the entire mirror housing folded, but in the ELR only the mirror itself is motorized

·
Registered
ELR
5 Posts
The weekend before last my wife accidentally clipped the edge of the garage door opening with the passenger side mirror while pulling into the garage and it broke off at the door. Found extensive corrosion of the cast aluminum or pot metal or whateveritsmadeof assembly underneath the exterior shell. I used to be able to fold them both in but haven't been able to for quite some time. I'm certain the corrosion is the reason, as they should have folded inward when pulling into the garage. This car has ALWAYS been garage kept and maintained very clean (as I'm sure we all do, it's such a beautiful car!). The only thing that could have caused this degree of corrosion is from car washes.

Now I can't find a replacement mirror assembly anywhere! I'm so frustrated, this never should have happened. GM used inferior materials on this part, or at least should have applied a water-blocking lubricant where the mirror and door post meet. - - If you can still fold yours I strongly recommend spraying a penetrating lubricant so it doesn't completely freeze up.

I've talked to my local Cadillac dealer, placed an order on GM Parts Direct (back-ordered, ETA N/A) and searched online to find a replacement, all to no avail. Somewhere in this forum I thought I saw a post about a boneyard that had a bunch of early build or flood damaged ELRs. Can anyone point me to where that is, or offer other suggestions as to where I might find a replacement?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,035 Posts
There are a bunch of used ELR parts on ebay, there is at least one place that buys complete cars and parts them out. If there is no mirror listed, message the seller, I'm sure they will list one.

·
Registered
ELR
5 Posts
Wow, I really appreciate the super quick replies for a fellow ELR enthusiast! I bought the mirror and also a replacement door speaker that's been buzzing for a while. I'll need to get it resprayed black to match the car but that's a small task.

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
343 Posts
Yeah I noticed that there's a bunch on ebay in all colors for pretty cheap considering. If you go to the GM Partsonline store, they're 3 times more but new of course. I noticed the odd thing though of what seems to be the mirror assembly WITH and WITHOUT the side detection, which seems odd to me. Why on earth would they offer both? And why would you buy something that doesn't work with blind spot circuitry? Although I have to admit I don't know how that works, if it's a detection from the mirror somehow or linked to a bumper detector. Maybe HT-guy could clear that up for me.

here's the link to the GM Partsonline store for the assembly. The side detection is $60 more..

I'm curious exactly where your mirror broke. If you have the time please post some pics of the damage. I assume no door damage?

·
Registered
2016 ELR
127 Posts
I noticed the odd thing though of what seems to be the mirror assembly WITH and WITHOUT the side detection, which seems odd to me. Why on earth would they offer both? And why would you buy something that doesn't work with blind spot circuitry? Although I have to admit I don't know how that works, if it's a detection from the mirror somehow or linked to a bumper detector. Maybe HT-guy could clear that up for me.
The mirrors just have indicators to alert you that someone is in your blindspots. The sensors are hidden behind the rear bumper. Some other make and model vehicles put the blind-spot and cross traffic radar in rear tail light assembly instead, which is an alternate and effective location.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum
338 Posts
Here's one on Ebay reasonable. He has different colors avail. I bought one and it's factory new. excellent

That is actually quite inexpensive.

My wife used to knock the passenger mirror off of her STS on a semi regular basis.
I'd get a used one on Ebay, have it painted to match and have it put back on.
Wasn't that big a deal, but I got tired of doing it.

Her XTS has power folding mirrors.

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
343 Posts
The mirrors just have indicators to alert you that someone is in your blindspots. The sensors are hidden behind the rear bumper. Some other make and model vehicles put the blind-spot and cross traffic radar in rear tail light assembly instead, which is an alternate and effective location.
Ha ? I knew I could count on you sir! I thought that how it worked but didn't want to assume....

·
Registered
2014 ELR
225 Posts
Yeah I noticed that there's a bunch on ebay in all colors for pretty cheap considering. If you go to the GM Partsonline store, they're 3 times more but new of course. I noticed the odd thing though of what seems to be the mirror assembly WITH and WITHOUT the side detection, which seems odd to me. Why on earth would they offer both? And why would you buy something that doesn't work with blind spot circuitry? Although I have to admit I don't know how that works, if it's a detection from the mirror somehow or linked to a bumper detector. Maybe HT-guy could clear that up for me.

here's the link to the GM Partsonline store for the assembly. The side detection is $60 more..

I'm curious exactly where your mirror broke. If you have the time please post some pics of the damage. I assume no door damage?
The blind spot part of the mirror is only the yellow flashing symbol in the mirror. The rest if the system is in the rear fenders.

·
Registered
ELR
5 Posts
Wait a minute - these mirrors don't seem to cross reference with any other vehicle, but based on what hightech-guy we don't need the mirror wit side detection because it's hidden behind the rear bumper. Uggh! I bought a mirror WITH blind spot detection. I wonder if it'll work?

·
Registered
2014 ELR
225 Posts
Wait a minute - these mirrors don't seem to cross reference with any other vehicle, but based on what hightech-guy we don't need the mirror wit side detection because it's hidden behind the rear bumper. Uggh! I bought a mirror WITH blind spot detection. I wonder if it'll work?
The only thing in the mirror is the yellow indicator for side detection. The rest of the system is in the rear. The mirror will work on your car but it won't give you side detection.

·
Registered
ELR
5 Posts
Here are a few pics of the broken mirror after I took it off the car. You can clearly see how much corrosion was present. Unfortunately there was some damage to the passenger door. The scratches buffed out and paintless dent removal took care of 99% of the rest. It took the technician the entire afternoon for the two dents because they were near body lines and pinch welds.

Attachments

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
343 Posts
Yikes! Wow that's crazy! Sorry for your mishap. I've never seen the paintless dent removal guys in action but this is an art I'd really like to observe. Thanks for posting pics sir.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts