Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have u guys ever heard of priming the oilpump by adding twice the ammount of oil in the engine

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,111 Posts
Yes. The pump is not submerged and if it looses it's prime you have to submerge it. Put 16 qts of oil in it and run it. Rev it a few times then drain half out.

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Yes. The pump is not submerged and if it looses it's prime you have to submerge it. Put 16 qts of oil in it and run it. Rev it a few times then drain half out.
Wow!, who would of thunk,what are the indications of a dry pump?,what would cause it to lose it's prime?.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,111 Posts
The indications are no oil pressure and an oil pressure message telling you to shut down. Debris holding the check valva open would cause it. Not very common.

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
The indications are no oil pressure and an oil pressure message telling you to shut down. Debris holding the check valva open would cause it. Not very common.

One more reason to do regular oil changes.

·
Registered
1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)
1,702 Posts
Ranger is correct for why...and how.

I did not lose prime when I did my HG project. I left the oil pump in place - also the lower end. Oil pan and heads and manifolds and chains and tensioners were off. I just left the indicated ignition module connectors disconnected per the FSM and cranked without starting for 20-30 seconds - then reconnected the connectors and it started right up with no oil pressure issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts