Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2019 Genesis G70
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that most of you have noticed the soot that readily deposits on the bottom half of your car's tailpipes. Although not difficult to clean off, it is an often reoccurring PITA. Has anyone figured out how to prevent these deposits?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance
197 Posts
I also have them. I just use a fine polish and a terry cloth towel at every wash. Might consider giving them a good waxing after the next wash to make the chrome (or polished aluminum or whatever it is) a little more slippery and easy to clean.

I was lucky enough to have a road trip week before last from Northern VA to Pendleton, SC, pretty much exactly 500 miles. During that trip I went over the mythical 1500 miles break-in point, so when traffic and speeds permitted, I ran the car harder, in manual mode, at higher RPMs. *SEEMS* that there was less funk exiting the pipes than usual. But, driving like that all the time isn't practical.

·
Registered
ATS 2.5 RWD
21 Posts
I was going to my local CITGO gas station when I noticed a lot of soot on my tailpipe every time I went out. I read in a post about only using TOP TIER gas, so I went to the TOP TIER gas website and found out CITGO gas was not on the website. I am now using SHELL gasoline and I get a lot less soot on my tailpipe. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Soot is unavoidable. It's a byproduct of burning gasoline.

Maybe try a product designed to keep brake dust from sticking to rims.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soot is unavoidable. It's a byproduct of burning gasoline.

Maybe try a product designed to keep brake dust from sticking to rims.
Understood and a brake dust inhibitor may be worth trying. I don't have a dust inhibitor, but if one of you guys do, give it a try and let us know. But why do I see the soot most on the ATS, while I haven't noticed it on my other cars? I have tried a sealant (Zaino) on the rims, but that didn't seem to make a difference with the soot buildup. Also, all the gas stations in my area use 10% or less ethanol mixed with their 93 O. Could the ethanol be a factor?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good article, but doesn't offer how to prevent soot buildup. So far, simply cleaning the tips routinely will keep them from becoming etched, but I bet we'd all like to prevent the buildup.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
the steel wool part was terrible advice for us...it will scratch our polished exhaust tips....just pre-soak (before car gets wet) with a heavy duty undiluted degreaser (so degreaser is at its thickest so its stickier and less likely to run off) for a few minutes before washing your car.....this is a good time to do yur wheels too s100 wheel cleaner is good stuff and might work for tail pipes but not sure about that will have to try it.....now that your wheels and tailpipes are gooped up rinse them clean when you first start spraying your car (prior to soaping car) having used s100 your wheels are done with the tailpipes depending on what you used they may be done too... if they still need a little help, when soaping your car give the tailpipes a soapy wipe when you're soaping your bumper (with a separate dirty jobs microfiber, not what you use on your paint) and when you rinse car (including tailpipes) your done.....washing tailpipes when you do your bumper should add almost zero time to your washing, and will keep the tailpipes easy to clean because the soot never gets time to bake on and harden

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
But why do I see the soot most on the ATS, while I haven't noticed it on my other cars? I have tried a sealant (Zaino) on the rims, but that didn't seem to make a difference with the soot buildup.
I think the soot increases with a richer A/F ratio. With a turbo, the A/F tends to richer at WOT than an NA motor, although the DI has some major A/F differences compare with regular fuel injection.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
4,561 Posts
I use armorall wheel protectant on the tips, it keeps them clean a week longer or so. A quality synthetic sealant will also make them much easier to clean.

·
Registered
None
178 Posts
I, for one, think this is crap...I am known for being an extreme cleaner/detailer, washing my car twice a week and constantly keeping it spotless but even washing the tips that much, I was pretty surprised to see staining and etching. This shouldn't happen. I shouldn't have to use cleaners on them. And then I remembered it was a lease and that I didn't care that much. :)

·
Registered
Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual
68 Posts
The soot is unavoidable. It is a byproduct of direct injected, turbo engines, although from one of the responses, it seems like a minor issue with the 2.5. I noticed the same soot on a 2.0 Ecoboost Ford Escape that I rented for a week. No surface prep products will prevent soot from depositing on the tailpipes. I just wipe it off with a mild glass/hard surface cleaner on a paper towel every week or so. By the way, the world's best chrome polish is Simichrome, a German all-purpose chrome and metal polish that you can get at fine car product stores or the Internet. I used it on my old Ferrari for years. Once you clean the pipes, it really polishes up the chrome tips (or is it stainless steel?), the door kick panels and stainless steel window surrounds. It is not harsh or abrasive, and such products should never be used.

But the soot will not go away because of different gas, fuel mixture, etc. You wouldn't want to lean out the mixture, even if you could.:yup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts