Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about the cooling system.
Whenever I get a new to me car, I like to replace wear and tear parts so I know what I have and can rely on it.
I'm going to be replacing coolant, the water pump belt and hoses. Since I have not been into a N* water pump, should I replace it?
I know some designs like the Jeeps are pretty bullet proof.
What do you suggest to do the whole job at one time?

Thanks,
Taz

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
I assume you are talking about the '02 since you mentioned Northstar.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. First off, you need a specail WP socket to remove.install it. Secondly, they are pretty reliable. Cross that bridge when you get to it. I'd just drain and refill it and DO NOT use any sealant tabs aka cooling system supplement. Belts and hose are optional and up to you. Mine are still original.

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:yup:, the '02.
I have a random coolant leak. I drive the car daily now and about 3 times a week I will see about 3 oz of fluid under it. Sometimes in the morning after getting to work I'll check it after an hour or so, sometimes at night. I've been under it 3 times looking for a trail of fluid off a shield or the motor/tranny and I can't find anything.
It appears under the tranny side of the motor so I assume the water pump, gasket or the hose at the pump.
The belt has some cracking so I figure I'll do that and hoses and check what comes out of the radiator.
Yeah, no tabs. :D

Thanks for the info.
I have to say this '02 is turning out to be a very nice car but I'm getting the gas mileage of the '72 (with a 502) and it's the lighest of the 3!:cookoo:
I just finished my first tank with the motor running properly and only got 15.7 MPG. I get almost 19 in the '92 and it weights 600 lbs more.
Taz

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
It appears under the tranny side of the motor so I assume the water pump, gasket or the hose at the pump.
Oh shit! 2000+ engines seem to have crossover manifold gaskets leak with some regularity. Mine was replaced under warranty. Another spot to check in that area is the heater pipes that run along the rear head. I don't recall hearing about them too much on the post 2000's, but the pre-2000's used to rust and leak.

·
Registered
92 El Dorado
127 Posts
Quite the collection of Eldorados !!
do they follow you home or something?

My '92 Eldo also gets about 18 MPG, varies with City driving.. 14,16,17 MPG depends...

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quite the collection of Eldorados !!
do they follow you home or something?
:yup: I get it from my Grandfather, who passed it on to my Father and somehow I got the bug.:)

The '72 was given to me by my Grandfather when he was alive and I inherited the '92 after he passed. He loved Cadillacs. I recently finished restoring the '92 and just put it into storage last weekend. The '72 was restored 15 years ago.

I got the '02 because I was driving the '92 all the time and I want to keep the miles off it (currently at 81k). I really like the Eldorados and prefer driving them over my other daily driver, which I guess is no longer my daily driver. :D

The '72 is obviously a land yatch. The '92 and '02 have the same body, FWD and lots of the parts are the same, and yet they are two completly different cars.

"crossover manifold gaskets leak" I don't like the sound of that. I did a coolant crossover repair on a 8 cylinder BMW which was not fun. It was under the intake and I've had this intake off so it must not be the same. Nothing in there but oak leaves and a starter. :)

Time to research.
Thanks for the heads up.

Taz

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh shit! 2000+ engines seem to have crossover manifold gaskets leak with some regularity. Mine was replaced under warranty. Another spot to check in that area is the heater pipes that run along the rear head. I don't recall hearing about them too much on the post 2000's, but the pre-2000's used to rust and leak.
My pipes look good. I think the front crossover is leaking.
Is there an upgraded parts/procedure to address this, or just replace the gaskets?

Thanks,
Wes

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am a glutton for punishment.

Just for grins, how much would an idie charge for such a job in case I go lazy, uhm...er, I mean hurt my arm or something?

Taz

·
Registered
97sls,09dts
880 Posts
Taz before you start go to autozone rent there pressure tester I think it will be the large kit with 7 adapters (free).

Pressurize the system take a bright light and a mirror and check very close for leaks you might get away with just tightening a clamp or bolt.

I did exactly that and stopped a leak by tightening a hose clamp.Mike

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mike. Great idea.
I still want to swap out gaskets and flush the system. I mean, I have these new parts and all, now I have to put them in.:)

This car will go into storage with the others and I'd like to know I took care of anything possible. Plus, I'm going to drive it a few years and everyone knows I work on my cars. To have one leave a puddle would be embarrasing.:D

Besides, the wife is out of town and this will keep me busy.

I can come up with more excuses....:histeric::helpless:
Taz<---Probably needs car restoration rehab.

·
Registered
'02 ETC 34,000 miles 2002 F55 STS 83,000 miles, 2016 Challenger SRT 392, 6 Sp.
264 Posts
My '02 leaks just a little as well. I was qouted about $850 at the dealer......must be about an 8 hour job, at least according to the book.
I'm just gonna wait and save up a little. For that much, might as well have Jake or Joe stud the block as well and get the HG, crossover, timing chain guides and the crankcase all at once...........Ok maybe preventive maintenance overkill, but I think I can live with the leak for a while, and if your gonna have half the engine all over the floor, you might as well get it all done.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
??? The crossover job is a big PITA, but it's NOTHING compared to what you're suggesting, both labor and cost wise. You don't have "half the engine all over the floor" to replace the crossover gaskets. Intake manifold, TB, crossover. Those are the only "major" parts that need to be removed. A bit less involved than drivetrain removal, major engine disassembly, and drilling/tapping the block...

There's no advantage to studding/inserting the block with no HG issues in the first place (let's not get into that again).

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm with MC.
I've looked at the job at it really doesn't seem that involved. But this is all relative and the parts are easy to get to (again relative to what you are used to).
Anyone have a clue why the new lower gaskets asre colored, one red and one blue ? The funky V shaped ones, not the retangular ones.
I've read a post back in 2005 saying the updated gaskets were black.
Thanks,
Taz

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
Just a guess - red is right, blue is left. The new gaskets have a raised silicone bead section ??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts