Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI

Copyright 2011 General Motors. All Rights Reserved.
Program Bulletin
Bulletin No.:
Date:
February 2011
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM
SUBJECT: Premature Timing Chain Wear – Reprogram Engine Control Module
MODELS: 2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007 GMC Acadia
2009 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with HFV6 Engine
Due to the availability of the required calibration, this program is being administered in phases. This first phase will include the Cadillac vehicles only. You will receive a dealer message when the calibration and VINs are being released for the remainder of the vehicles.
THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 2013.
CONDITION
On certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine, under certain driving conditions, and with extended oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.
CORRECTION
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor.
Page 2 February 2011 Bulletin No.: 10287
VEHICLES INVOLVED
Involved are certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine
Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.
PART INFORMATION
No parts are required for this program.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
Engine Control Module Programming
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2® and TIS2WEB with the calibration update. When using a MDI or Tech 2® for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.
For Cadillac vehicles: Use TIS2WEB on or after 1/9/11 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Centre and it will be provided.
For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.
1. Capture and record Engine Oil Life information. Write down remaining oil life as a percentage.
2. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
3. Reprogram the engine control module (ECM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
3.1 Connect the MDI or Tech 2® to the vehicle. If using MDI, connect to programming terminal with the cable (USB or LAN).
Page 3 February 2011 Bulletin No.: 10287
3.2 Select J2534 MDI or J2534 Tech 2® and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.
3.3 Select ECM Engine Control Module—Programming from the Supported Controllers screen.
3.4 Follow the on-screen instructions.
4. Clear all DTCs using the Tech 2® or GDS.
5. Use a scan tool to reset the Engine Oil Life Remaining back to the original percentage recorded before completing the programming event.
Note: If a programming failure occurs, refer to Engine Control Module Recovery Steps in this bulletin.
Engine Control Module Recovery Steps
1. Disconnect the programming device.
2. Power down the control modules connected to the GMLAN bus by disconnecting the positive battery cable for 2 minutes.
3. Reconnect the positive battery cable.
4. Determine which programming device will be used to perform the recovery steps.
If using MDI, connect to the programming station or Notebook using a cable (LAN). Proceed to Step 5 and then Steps 6-8.
If using a Tech 2® proceed to Steps 6-8.
5. Reboot the programming station or Notebook. This is to make sure nothing is in memory.
Note: Selecting Replace and Reprogram from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Process Screen is REQUIRED because some of the calibrations may be erased from the initial attempt to reprogram the module.
6. Reprogram the engine control module. Select Replace and Reprogram from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Process Screen.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the programming event.
8. Clear all DTCs using the Tech 2® or GDS.
Note: Repeat Steps 1-8 above IF another programming failure occurs. If the second attempt to reprogram in unsuccessful when following the Steps 1-8 above, then contact Techline Customer Support Centre.
COURTESY TRANSPORTATION – For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.
Page 4 February 2011 Bulletin No.: 10287
WARRANTY TRANSACTION INFORMATION
Submit a transaction using the table below.
Labour Code
Description
Labour Time
V2385
Reprogram ECM
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION – For US and Canada
General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).
CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION – For Export
Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.
DEALER PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITY
All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through February 28, 2013.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the involved vehicle listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service through February 28, 2013, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the tools, equipment, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
We Support
Voluntary Technician
Certification

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
i'll be honest, i more or less just skimmed that, but what i got out of it was that it is just an ECM reprogram that is only good for us first Gen drivers if our car is a 2007... but really, what will an ECM reprogram do to help with a stretched timing chain? and wtf is this 2007+ horse shit?! lol

maybe i should have read the entire thing through but after i saw my car (2006) wouldn't be helped my caring dropped significantly.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,880 Posts
I skimmed over it too. But it appears they want to reprogram the ECM, which controls the oil life monitor, it a lesser frequency.

Meaning for someone like me, instead of chaining the oil every 10,000 miles. It would 8,000 miles. Because I go by the oil life monitor, not the 3 months/3,000 miles.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
ah i see, so they are attributing timing chain failure to long term oil life performance..? if that is legit and the "root cause" (which i dont think it is) of the timing chain fiasco then im glad i do my oil every 10000km (6200mi) with a second filter swap at 6000km... but im still not happy we pre-07 owners get the shaft

·
Registered
Friend of CTS Owner
60 Posts
As a non-CTS owner I still find this response from Cadillac offensive.

I'm a professional mechanic and I've always told my friends and customers that conventional oil changes should be done at 3K miles and synthetic should be changed BY the 5K mark. Yet when you turn on the radio you hear advertisements saying that those intervals are too frequent. You hear so called automotive experts and frugal experts saying that we are trying to stick it to our customers and use oil changes as an excuse to get customers in the door for bigger services.

Well... what did a 8-10K mile oil change do for the 3.6L owners? Thinner, worn out oil is the cause of the timing chain issue and the problem isn't going to get any better until people start checking their oil levels and topping it off as well as changing the oil sooner, like we used to do 5-10 years and more ago.

Check out the pictures in my thread below, it's a thorough documentation of the timing chain and guide set replacement:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...rum-2003/221574-05-cts-3-6l-timing-chain.html

Timing chain stretch is an over-used terminology and it's my opinion it doesn't match the symptoms nor the ultimate failure and here's why. When we had timing chains that didn't run a tensioner (think old school V8 cam-in-block) we'd hear the timing chain rattling around and would have spark knock, spitting back through the intake, or engine vacuum related signs to support the noise and the assumption that it was the chain.

On the CTS there are tensioners, guides, camshaft position sensors and crankshaft position sensors which all play in to spark/fuel timing. Now... if it TRULY were a timing chain stretching then we'd develop camshaft/crankshaft correlation codes because at some point the crank is going to get too far ahead or too far behind the camshafts and the computer will set a fault code. The 3.6L especially has three different tensioners to take up any slack that may develop from a chain that stretches.

The 3.6L has FOUR different sensors that detect camshaft position orientation and ANOTHER sensor dedicated to locating the crankshaft position. Cam/Crank correlation codes can be set with these rotating components being out of sync by just a few degrees so stretch isn't even possible without setting a code first.

Even if the chain was stretching, all three of these tensioners have a tremendous amount of range to compensate for it. Check out the pictures where I've got the tensioner disassembled in my hand. You'll see what I'm talking about.

The issue is the oil change intervals and owners who rely on a digital display to tell them when their oil is low and when they should change the oil. Fewer and fewer people pull dipsticks these days and even fewer understand why it's important to run the correct viscosity oil with VVT engines and change the oil frequently.

What's happening to these engines is they are being starved for lubrication. Not necessarily oil in all cases but rather lubrication. At 8-10K miles the oil has had so many heat cycles, so much acceptable blow-by and so much exposure to other contaminates that it no longer has it's original viscosity. The end result is the load bearing surfaces of the primary chain gears and the guides begin to wear the most. Next comes the secondary guides and then the gears.

The failure is driver induced based on bad directions from the manufacturer. The fact that they change their directions is proof enough. Why tell you to change more frequently??? Because they told you wrong the first time. Why won't they change anything for the earlier models? They're out of warranty and GM doesn't have to fix em no more.

Besides... if they did have a flash to change the interval would that fix the chain??

Remember when you got oil change stickers in the window from jiffy lube? Well... all they did was take a really expensive digital sharpie and sticker (aka that annoying service reminder on the dash) and changed your reminder information. The issue was worn out oil and the lower mileage gets you out of warranty before you have engine damage on their watch.
Doug

·
Registered
07' Sport, Ming Blue
53 Posts
Yea I remember someone telling me that oil today has no sulfur and other chemicals in it like in the old days. those additives are what kept oil from breaking down due to heat and losing viscosity and lubricating properties. 10k seems like a stretch for oil changes.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
Let me get this straight! GM wants to change the oil life monitor interval for example my car is about 11k miles per oil change and now it will go down to let say, 7 or 8 k miles for example, right? The reason of doing this is because premature wears on the timing chains due to extended oil change interval?

If this is the reason OR the solution to it, it means that the OLM wasn't properly calibrated to our car so it means one thing:

Gm should give our money back to those who pay, like me when the warranty was out, 2500$ at the dealer for new chains and tensioners, don't you think?

·
Registered
06 Cadillac CTS 3.6L [Sold :( ] 02 Mustang GT 5Spd
1,161 Posts
Let me get this straight! GM wants to change the oil life monitor interval for example my car is about 11k miles per oil change and now it will go down to let say, 7 or 8 k miles for example, right? The reason of doing this is because premature wears on the timing chains due to extended oil change interval?

If this is the reason OR the solution to it, it means that the OLM wasn't properly calibrated to our car so it means one thing:

Gm should give our money back to those who pay, like me when the warranty was out, 2500$ at the dealer for new chains and tensioners, don't you think?
I think this whole thing is ridiculous. It's pathetic how GM is handling this problem, they are doing everything in their power to AVOID helping the customers of some of their best branches. I have a tough time with the whole issue because I refuse to buy foreign. And Chrysler...is Chrysler... So I might be moving to Ford for a while until they can get their crap together and create a customer service/satisfaction department that actually answers the phone. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L Thunder Grey
203 Posts
I OLM does not go by miles it has to do something with engine revolutions, which is why sometimes mine will call for an oil change after 8K and sometimes after 10K.

I doubt this will help ease any timing chain issues. Oil should definitley be changed after 6000 miles regardless.

And Im sure they only issued this for 07+ models because the 06+ will likely be out of bumper to bumper warranty, and GM has no obligation to fix the OLM if thats the case.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
15 Posts
If my previous history shows me, this will eventually become a class action lawsuit and people who forked out money to replace will get a refund if they maintain paperwork. It's happened to me on my window regulators on a VW New Beetle I had and my bearings on my Buick Rendezvous. Both times seemed like premature failure, both got sued, both sent me checks.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
15 Posts
I read the top posting and i'm offended too. My timing chains just went... and trust me, i'm smarter than letting some digital gauge tell me when to change the oil. I religiously was changing it every 6k miles and/or 6 months regardless of what the OLM said. In fact, my last oil change (the one 3 days before my check engine light went on, and now I'm replacing timing chains at 76k miles), the OLM still said 55% and I was just at 6k miles and about 7 months from the last oil change.

Now that I think about it, i've been complaining about how it seems to use a lot of oil.. In 6k miles, it wouldn't be uncommon for me to add 3 quarts between oil changes (thats a quart every 2k)... it's documented complaint. I'm wondering if there was a problem while under warranty and just dismissed as... "Oh, this is normal on these SRXs."

·
Registered
2007 CTS
1,572 Posts
I read the top posting and i'm offended too. My timing chains just went... and trust me, i'm smarter than letting some digital gauge tell me when to change the oil. I religiously was changing it every 6k miles and/or 6 months regardless of what the OLM said. In fact, my last oil change (the one 3 days before my check engine light went on, and now I'm replacing timing chains at 76k miles), the OLM still said 55% and I was just at 6k miles and about 7 months from the last oil change.

Now that I think about it, i've been complaining about how it seems to use a lot of oil.. In 6k miles, it wouldn't be uncommon for me to add 3 quarts between oil changes (thats a quart every 2k)... it's documented complaint. I'm wondering if there was a problem while under warranty and just dismissed as... "Oh, this is normal on these SRXs."
If I'm not mistaken GM believes a quart of oil every thousand miles is acceptable:anibs: I think the timing chain failure is more of an issue with not keeping the oil full!

·
Registered
2009 CTS
1 Posts
Interesting thread. I just got my '09 CTS back from the service department after having the timing chains replaced under warranty. Just under 37K miles. The check engine light was on when I got it back from an oil change, not before.

I think I'm going to need an extended warranty!

·
Registered
2013 Acura ILX / 2011 Camaro LS
1,007 Posts
Yeah, I do my oil every 5-6k but I add oil as needed as well. My oil life monitor is a joke,I change at 5500 and it still says like 53%. I don't even really look at the miles anymore, I just wait for the oil to say 55% and I plan to change. My camaro though get's to 0 by 5k, the camaro is odd though as it's a 3.6 as well but did not come with full synthetic. I swapped to mobile 1 the first oil change so usually at 4500 I have to reset the monitor so it won't keep telling me to do oil change. I wonder if any of the 3.6 camaro guys have the same problems as the CTS guys? It's the same motor except using less quality oil

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,695 Posts
The oil life monitor is based on operating temp and revolutions/ RPM. I know that it 'works' becaause my When a fan went out on my Fleetwood back in 2002, it lit up to change the oil only 1500 miles after i had just changed it (Fleetwoods never has a % countdown - it just lit up when the OLM decided it was time to change the oil). When i checjed out the engine compartment, ithat's when i noticed the primary fan wasn't running!

On to CTS. so they apparently miscalculated how much to allow. hmmmm This has me wondering since our 2008 CTS4 has just over 40,000 mi. I don't want in engine interior problem in 2 years...

I agree though than changing @ around 6,000 is much better for these cars, than waiting for it to go to 0%.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
For anyone who comes along later, here is the Bulletin in a more readable version. I don't who writes these things but they must get paid by the word, and get a bonus for being as confusing as possible.

Bulletin #10287 February 2011 : Premature Timing Chain Wear

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642 or equivalent) to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
Ensure that the MDI or Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.
Refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal for instructions.

Reprogramming the Engine Control Module

1. Capture and record the engine oil life percentage.

2. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts.

3. Reprogram the Engine Control Module.

..3.1 Connect the MDI or Tech 2® to the vehicle. If using MDI, connect to programming terminal with the cable (USB or LAN).
..3.2 Select J2534 MDI or J2534 Tech 2® and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.
..3.3 Select ECM Engine Control Module—Programming from the Supported Controllers screen.
..3.4 Follow the on-screen instructions.

4. Clear all DTCs using the Tech 2® or GDS.

5. Use a scan tool to reset the Engine Oil Life to the original percentage recorded during Step 1.

[Engine Control Module recovery if a programming failure occurs]

1. Disconnect the programming device.
2. Disconnect the positive battery cable for 2 minutes. The control modules connected to the GM LAN bus will power down.
3. Reconnect the positive battery cable.

4a.If using a Tech 2® to reprogram the Engine Control Module proceed to Step 5.
4b.If using MDI, connect to the programming station or Notebook using a cable (LAN).
Reboot the programming station or Notebook (some of the calibrations may have been erased by the initial attempt to reprogram the module).

5. Select Replace and Reprogram from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Process Screen.
6 Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the programming event.
7. Clear all DTCs using the Tech 2® or GDS
If programming failure occurs, repeat all steps.
If the second attempt ends in failure contact Customer Support.

·
Registered
2007 cts 3.6
120 Posts
Hi this is my first post here, my name is Pete and i live near London in England and i am a member of the Cadillac owners club uk. I read this thread with alot of worry, i have a 2007 3.6 CTS Right hand drive love it its great .

The is only about 250 or so 3.6 gen 1 CTS in the whole of the UK. And the is only one Cadillac dealer in the UK in Manchester that is about 250 miles away from me which i had to take the car to last year for a recall on the diff seal and front brake hoses which was paid for by GM.

I have had my CTS for about a year now she has only 17000 miles on her, and when i brought her only about 14000 miles That is when she had her last oil change. As i only do very few miles in her as gas here is £6 a gallon thats about $10, so it only used now and then i have a boring modern MG for every day use. I was going to leave it for a few more month's before i have the oil changed as it telling me the is still 72% of oil life left. but after reading this thread its being done next week. Getting filters etc is no issue here, and i will use 5/30 oil, and my local BMW dealer say they have no issue with servicing it. The car was first registed new in the UK in December 2007, but by the vin number it was built in 2006 i think the recall is only for cars built in 2007. My worry is if i have a major issue with it here i am up S--t creek. I have only seen another CTS at an American car show last summer. It is very rare in England so reading this some what of a worry.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts