Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just FYI for anyone driving a pre-2000 Catera...

My '99 had an oil cooler leak at 52,000. This cooler is located under the intake manifold and is water cooled. It looks like a small radiator. When this unit gets even hariline cracks, the engine's oil gets sucked into the radiator / coolant system. Luckily, I was able to shut mine down immediately and have it serviced (as soon as engine oil light came on). The coolant overflow tank was oozing what looked like hot carmel. :mad: The oil cooler is a $250 part, but you will be out of at least a grand after the installation, thermostat replacement, gaskets / seals, and flushing.

This happened due to corrosion on the oil cooler. Please flush your Catera's coolant system and add a PH balance additive to the new fluid. This will save you from a costly repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1998 Catera. I have had persistent coolant leaks. I have taken it back to the dealer for the same problem 5 times. I finally had it and went to an attorney re: Lemmon Law. Since I bought it as "used certified" I will not get much help. My warranty is expiring in March and I still do not feel confident that the item is fixed. I drive around with a gallon of coolant in my trunk. The last time they "fixed" it, they said the oil cooler was the problem. I brought it in again and it was another item. I am smelling the coolant again, gassing off, when I open my window or car door when it is running. I am really fed up with this. I had a 91 buick that had no problems, and this is suppose to be a Cadillac.
Anyone have a persistent problem like this??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a friend that has a 98 catera , im trying to help him with his oil cooler, but I cant find the part for less than $549.00. If some one can help as to where to get it cheaper it would be great. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP..... THANKS NJPETE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts