Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'89 Eldo.
I need to remove the powertrain to replace the transaxle and also remove the smog stuff plus the A/C compressor. Is it easier to drop the cradle, or pull it out the top? Brake unit looks like it may be in the way (not Teves), but it looks like it could be moved to the side.
One issue I've discovered is the PO has removed the cat, and welded up the exhaust, so there's no way to drop the cradle without cutting the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
I have to say I've never seen a thread on pulling a 4.5 and never looked it up when I owned my CDV. I would not start the job without FSM (and :alchi:) As for the exhaust: can you drop the manifolds and pull the whole thing back or do you get stuck on the cross over?

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the FSM (have one for EVERY car I own), and plenty of beer. The Y pipe is weird; it goes UNDER the cradle, but does have a slip fit joint for the forward manifold, right at the oil pan, and I can get to the two bolts for the rear manifold. Then cut the pipe back where the cat was. I'd then put a coupler (splice) at the cut when I put it back. Kinda Rube.
I'm used to pulling Northstar's out the bottom, but never did a 4.5.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts