Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, what I want to do is wire something up where I have moderate bass, but I dont need like 2 12"s so they can hear me in the next county.... I just want a little extra thump so my rear speakers done have to work so hard!

I also want to keep my stock head unit! And Id like to keep it fairly inexpensive!

Someone said something about powered subwoofers..... Then all id have to do is hook the powered sub up to my rear speakers and then I could crank the bass on the sub and leave the rest of the bass at a moderate level!!

Thanks for your ideas!! I am fairly illiterate when it comes to this sort of stuff!!! Its not something I really care about, but I do want to learn more!

Also, another thing is trunk space.... The Q is very limited when it comes to this! I have a CD changer on one side, and room on the other side.... Its not deep at all, so having a box in there isnt really an option.....

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Yeah there are powered subs.. they're not too expensive either. Of course you'll still have to run a power wire, and if you plan on using the hookups from your back speakers, make sure the built in amp has high level inputs (I'd assume most do but I don't know).

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think that would be the appropriate setup for what Id want?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive heard of those.... Those are a type of powered sub right??

Has anyone ever used one?? how does it sounds in comparison to regular type subs......

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
elwesso said:
Ive heard of those.... Those are a type of powered sub right??

Has anyone ever used one?? how does it sounds in comparison to regular type subs......
They are powered, never used one personally but i have put them into cars. Don't know that much about them but they won't rattle your trunk like a sub will but it will take the stress off of your rears.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again, I dont need it to rattle the trunk or to be able to be heard in texas, just a little boost!!!

Do you think that is the more economical solution???

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
elwesso said:
Again, I dont need it to rattle the trunk or to be able to be heard in texas, just a little boost!!!

Do you think that is the more economical solution???
YES,YES, and Yes if you missed it.
For subs you are going to need to buy a lot more than people realize. You need an amp, then you need a thick power wire, ground cable, boxes, subs. Plus to get the subs to sound the way they should your better off upgrading to an aftermarket headunit.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know of any specific ones that are really good???

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for those links!!!

Obviously im gonna need some help when it comes time for me to actualyl do this!!!!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
elwesso said:
Thanks for those links!!!

Obviously im gonna need some help when it comes time for me to actualyl do this!!!!
I have been putting stereos in for awhile now and they are very easy to the mechancally inclined. the hard part is the knowledge on what is good and where to leave the setttings for better sound.

S

·
0 Posts
for someone like you, i'd say just get a bazooka tube... simple to hook up, powered, the only thing you'll have to do (other than install it) is get the little adapter for your head unit (you say it's stock) so you can hook the bazooka tube up.

tubes are easy: no complicated wiring, no box building, just screw it wherever you want, run the wires, and thats' it

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Those tubes in the links there are more expensive than I remember. $220 and up for 150w rms. I spent $250 and got 400w rms (course that was $60 off from regular price). I got my power wire for free since my uncle is an electrician and had some wire, and the rca cables cost about $15. Now I know you probably don't need 400w rms but it's better to have it in case you decide you want it.

I'm leaning towards reccomending regular subs if you can afford the space.

S

·
0 Posts
you can get an amp kit for $20-$25.00 that comes with 10 feet of 2 ga power wire, a foot of 2ga ground, 15 ft RCAs, remote wire, and everything else you need to wire your amp

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Space is a big factor...... With a tube I can just put it next to the gas tank underneath the rear package shelf..... Or in a little compartment in the package shelf itself!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I too wanted a little bass but not too much. I found a good powered sub to be the cost of a decent amp and a good woofer enclosed in a box. I also think that the powered ones don't sound right, you can get a 10" sub and a 300 watt amp and have it produce a little bass with really good response.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didnt know they made those??? so they make a sub/amp already in a box, so all you gotta do is plug and play??? And Id still be able to use my stock headunit right???

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
5 Participants
elwesso