Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I got up this morning and went to put the front windows down in the Brougham and the Frt Pass window switch on the drivers door did nothing for that window. So I leaned over and put down the window a bit from its own switch. Now that window will not go up. So we have all windows working fine at their own switch and master switch, the right front switch only working in the down position, and the master switch for that window doing nothing (no up or down operation for that window). I switched out the right front door switch with a good one from the back door and the same thing. Just down. Then I switched the frt and back window plugs on the switched in the drivers door, since I know the back switches are both good and the same thing. Drivers door works fine, pass frt, nothing. I dont hear anything when trying to get the window up again but its a bit loud where I am so I'll keep trying. Any thoughts on what it is or just how to get the window up before it rains??? Thanks!

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I hate to say it, but it's probably broken wires in the door. Pull the door panel, and test for power at the window motor itself.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Pull the wires to the mirror and apply 12v directly to the motor wires to get it to go up. If the motor doesn't go up when direct power is applied, the motor is bad and you'll have to unbolt the window from the track, push it up and find a way to hold it up. I usually put a hose clamp around the top of the track right under the window.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep looks like a broken wire. Tested both the main panel and individual pass frt door switch w good ones and same thing was happening. Then got a friend to use a jump and the window went up so not the motor. Looks like I'm fishin for a broken ground, This ever happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Yes it has. My 81 SDV auto door locks gave up due to broken wires in the driver's door. My arms are long enough for me to bend to my right, reach the passenger's door lock switch and lock the doors. As time went by, the passenger's door switch failed too so much digging and testing will be required in both doors now. Usually it is the window wiring that breaks in the driver's door over time. I have already replaced the memory seat harness in that door and now I have to go in again. Bummer.

Cheers.........R.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts