Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to pass on some info about the trunk pull down breaking on my 1996 STS. I was having a hard time getting the part #'s for the parts I needed because there are no drawings on the GM online part suppliers websites for the motor mechanism. I found one, but it was hard to make sense of. Somewhere on the web I read about the parts that would solve my problem, but they had the part # wrong. I odered it and it set me back a few days getting the correct parts. The symptom I was having with my trunk was when I closed it, it would start to pull down the trunk lid then it would stop half way or at almost all the way closed and the motor would keep running. I took everything apart and found that the plastic gear was stripped. It was pretty easy to take apart, so don't be scared. I thought maybe the switch on the motor didn't work by telling the motor to shut off and it stripped the gear when it got to the closed state. The switch in the trunk lid was working because I could shut off the trunk light by pushing its flapper in, so I figured it wasn't that. Anyway it works now after I replaced the switch on motor and the plastic gear. The only real problem I had putting it back together was getting the little flip on the motor switch to go between the two metal bends on the ring loop that pulls the trunk down. I was able to slide the switch back into the plastic housing notch and then force the ring loop to one side. I didn't trying loosening things up, so there may be an easier way to do, but it worked. Here are the gm part #'s to help out anyone in the same situation I was in: The switch mounted to the lid that shuts off the trunk light and may do more. (I didn't research any further) is: 16608046. The plastic gear gm part # is: 20160587. The switch that is mounted on top of the motor is gm part #16629927. Good luck with the fix. ---AL

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I reallt don't have the time or the patience to take mine apart, so I'm probably committed to taking it to the dealer. I'm curious if you might know the cost of replacing the entire unit itself as I am almost certain that the dealer will insist on doing this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is a cheap and easy way to deal with this problem. No money and maybe an hour of your time.
Take the rear interior panel out of the trunk that covers this area. Loosen the mounting screws. Unplug the wiring module on top. Manually turn the plastic gear to the closed position. Re-assemble everything, but leave the wiring unplugged. You now have a manual trunk that you close and open like any manual trunk.

A little ingenious tinkering while doing all this will probably convince you that it's not that tough to fix back to new, either.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I reallt don't have the time or the patience to take mine apart, so I'm probably committed to taking it to the dealer. I'm curious if you might know the cost of replacing the entire unit itself as I am almost certain that the dealer will insist on doing this.
im sure the dealer would most likely rape you for the latch and the labor...but you can find a replacement for like 20 bucks and it only takes 5-10mins to swap in the new one....

·
Registered
Cadillac Eldorado TC 1993
5 Posts
i have the same problem, but the broken teeth can be repaired by soldering a piece of plastic from the housing, it is made from almost same plastic, i do it about 380C° temp. the plastic is like a gum and NOT burning to black, after, you must sharp original shape of teeth and also check the motor inside, rotor contact and "carbon brushes", and main switch, there is probably shorted diode inside which must be replaced too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts