Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had my last straw with the Fleetwood's power trunk lid pull-down this afternoon. It worked fine until a few weeks ago, when I had opened the trunk to look for something and when I closed it down as usual, it latched, but there was no pull down. Tried it a few more times, and finally it pulled down. The next week, it did it again and I had my dad look at it. He sprayed a few pieces and of course it worked every time he tried it, but seemed to need to be closed harder for it to work.

Then, today on my way home from school, my brother had to stop at the store for some big posterboard. I didn't want to bend it up on the inside, so I opened the trunk and layed it down. Close the lid as usual, and nothing. It latched, but wouldn't pull down--great :mad: ! Tried it a few more times. Nothing. Completely dead. After about 8 more tries, I gave up and just decided to drive the rest of the way home with it sticking up about an inch, since it was safely latched. I told my father who was home early today (that's another story...) and we went out to see what we could do. Of course, it didn't work at all.

I had thought this was kind of cool to watch it suck itself closed, but was otherwise dumb, since you have to kind of close it most of the way anyway. We had a mission--get rid of the power assist. After examining every piece and not being able to find what was wrong, he just took the motor apart and hand cranked it to get the lower latch to retract back down manually, since it had powered up when I first opened the trunk. We got it adjusted to the right level, disconnected the power, and removed the corresponding fuse. We also kept all of the pieces that were removed, in case we ever want to restore it in the future.

But for now, it's fixed, and I can just close the lid the full way manually, and not have to worry about the stupid motor being dead and not pulling it down the rest of the way. ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
That sucks

That sucks dude. Just another pointless feature Cadillacs have that break down. I can't wait for that to happen to my deville..........

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
The trunk pulldown on my 78 FW and formerly my 75 Deville both still work. And they both have pretty big trunks and I can see how an old person (obviously Caddys target buyer) would appreciate a feature like that so they don't have to slam it and break their arm or something. But I can see how it would be annoying, because a fuse went out on my 75 and it wouldn't work... fortunately mine was just a fuse.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
The trunk is easier to close then a car door, so I think someone who is going to have problems closing it has something else to worry about :(

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I'll tell you what's annoying, watching somebody SLAM your automatic-pull-down-trunk because they don't KNOW that all they have to do is make a "touchdown".

My old man's ex-Mercedes had that feature on all the doors. It looked to me like just one more thing that would go wrong in time. The newer Mercedes don't have that.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
Elvis said:
I'll tell you what's annoying, watching somebody SLAM your automatic-pull-down-trunk because they don't KNOW that all they have to do is make a "touchdown".

My old man's ex-Mercedes had that feature on all the doors. It looked to me like just one more thing that would go wrong in time. The newer Mercedes don't have that.
Yeah they do

·
Registered
1993 Sixty Special, 1991 Allante
138 Posts
FASSTWOOD said:
Yeah they do
This same thing happened to my '93 Sixty Special recently. I bought a new closer from a GM parts department (had to switch some of my old parts onto it) for less than $72 including tax. A local garage installed it for me for $28. So, the problem was solved for less than $100! The mechanic told me if he owned the car he would change it to close manually. I told him I don't want things on this car to stop working and leave them like that. I also told him that it's a Cadillac, not a Chevrolet.
'Nuff said! :banana:

·
Registered
1993 DeVille
173 Posts
Fellas...My 72 has the pulldown....But it is not electric !
On the right side of the trunk behind the trim panel
there is a loooong spring/shock absorber thing that
pulls the trunk down !

Anybody else have/seen one in a older Caddy?.....geo

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Yours probably is not even electric. Check the button in the glove box for vacuum lines. Thats the way it would have been if my car had remote trunk release.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts