Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
WELCOME!!! :wave:

Changing PS fluid is cake....... Correct me if im wrong, but the PS fluid is ATF, right.....

In any case, I am in the process of doing it to my car also..... What I did is got a gallon of the cheap ATF, once a week for about a month (or until your out) and keep draining and refilling.... Its been 2 weeks, and I need to do it again!!

Anyway, just get yourself a turkey baster, or something that you can pump the fluid out with, and pour new stuff in.... I had a rigged turkey baster bulb with about 2ft of hose on the end..... Which allowed me to get in there and get quite a bit of fluid out.....

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
Check your manual, many vehicles CANNOT use ATF due to seal compatability. I think most newer cars are ok but I still use P/S fluid instead.

I agree here, What would be the point of putting ATF in the power steering? Power steering fluid is the proper thing to use here. ( That might be why they call it "POWER STEERING FLUID" )

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Im just saying.... In my FSM, they say to use only dextron ATF.......

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
522 Posts
elwesso said:
Im just saying.... In my FSM, they say to use only dextron ATF.......
Mine says use only GM power steering fluid - i think its not ATF...or it is???

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I stand corrected :eek:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Some cars DO in fact use ATF but SOME cannot. Years ago, I used ATF in everything and started noticing a rather higher incidence of leaks. That's when I found out that SOME vehicles P/S system cannot tolerate ATF. Since then I always recommend P/S fluid because it's the SAFEST choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts