Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter was given an 06 sts 4 from her aunt. The car has 175000 miles on it and has been a solid car. We replaced the starter last year and shortly after the power starting stopped working. A mechanic told her that it would be 2000.00 to fix, sounded high to me and I don’t know what he said needed to be replaced. I think it is the pump and wanted to see if this is a common problem In these cars. Other than that it runs good, is it worth fixing?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,200 Posts
Thread relocated from the '16+ CTS-V Appearance Mods forum. ( :unsure: )

3.6 or Northstar?
The steering works, but there's no power assist? Or is the steering locked up?
Assuming the steering works, but there's no power assist... Is the fluid level OK? Any sign of leaks anywhere?

Without knowing what the mechanic identified as the problem, it's hard to say whether that $2k makes sense. But buying all of the parts to replace the entire steering system - the pump, the rack, and all of the lines - would only cost $500 or so, so $2k sounds like a grossly inflated estimate to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a 3.6. The fluid was the first thing I checked. I added a small amount so I don’t think it’s a leaking issue. It wasn’t making any noise prior to this, it just stopped working.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts