Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I took my car to Patrick Cadillac, because my car almost stalled at a light and also sometimes the steering gets very stiff when I turn. First they diagnosed that the ignition coil #1 is going bad. Which I needed replaced. Not covered under my powertrain warranty. Also they said I need the power steering rack replaced also not covered. The power steering rack would be 1950.00. My question is why the powertrain warranty does not cover the power steering rack? I ended up paying for the coil 504.00. Not happy with GM right now. I only have 34000 miles on my CTS premium.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
604 Posts
Powertrain warranty is typically just engine, transmission and possibly other driveline components. So no, a coil and rack would not be covered by that. BTW those coils are I believe <$50 and not that difficult to replace, easier than spark plugs since you have to remove the coil to get to the plug anyway. Regarding the steering, do you mean it is stiffer at higher speeds? It has variable effort steering which makes it easy to turn at slow parking lot speeds, but gets firmer as you're driving.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the feedback. No it gets stiffer when I am turning into an ally or just trying to park the car in the garage. It doesn't happen all the time. As for the cartridge, live and learn. Next time I will do it myself. Thanks again.

By the way! I love my car would not trade it for anything. They gave me a new ats loaner to drive and wasn't too impress with it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi remmyman,

I took it to the dealer and they were the one who checked it and diagnosed the problem. I will take it to a shop near me and see what they say. Just like getting a second opinion from a doctor. I don't mind spending the money to get it fixed. My car is in superb condition and I love it. I am a caddy man and will not buy anything else, except a corvette! Who wouldn't want one of those!

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
Hi, thanks for the feedback. No it gets stiffer when I am turning into an ally or just trying to park the car in the garage. It doesn't happen all the time. As for the cartridge, live and learn. Next time I will do it myself. Thanks again.

By the way! I love my car would not trade it for anything. They gave me a new ats loaner to drive and wasn't too impress with it.
I wonder if they tagged in a charge for the loaner since your repair wasn't covered. Over $500 leads me to believe they did since that's WAY too much for replacing 1 coil. I would be back at the dealership asking to see the manager over that price.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
I agree with HurstGN. $500 is a ripoff. My dealer charged me $300 OTD for a new plug and a new coil. $500 is out of line. I will be glad to send you a copy of my invoice if you need it for ammunition.

----------

I am a caddy man and will not buy anything else, except a corvette! Who wouldn't want one of those!
Can you say, "CTS-V"?

·
Registered
2010 CTS Premium Sedan, RWD/3.6 DI
100 Posts
Most of the things that lead to stiff steering are wear related. Considering the low mileage; hard to believe you have any mechanical issues; unless the car has been in an accident (or in water)? If no accidents or other damage you are aware of; I would start with an inspection by an independent shop. If nothing found, I would suggest a fluid flush.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, thanks for the response. I am starting to believe I got fleeced. The only reason it was 500 is because I got a 10% coupon off their site. Well, I ended up checking my power steering fluid and guess what it was low. I can't believe the dealer didn't catch that! I called them and got the old song and dance. I will not ever go back to that dealer, for the remainder of my powertrain warranty I will take it a Chevy dealer that is close to my house for repairs. This is not the first time I had an issue with them. The only reason I was taking it to them is because they are near my job. I am so mad right now.

----------

I agree with HurstGN. $500 is a ripoff. My dealer charged me $300 OTD for a new plug and a new coil. $500 is out of line. I will be glad to send you a copy of my invoice if you need it for ammunition.

----------

Can you say, "CTS-V"?

I would like a GM representative to contact me, I know they lurk around this forum. I would like to tell them all he issues I have had with this dealer.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
No question that the PS fluid should have been checked, and checked first by the dealer. Start with the easy stuff and work down to the harder stuff. Also a hard learned lesson (again) that you should check some of the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No question that the PS fluid should have been checked, and checked first by the dealer. Start with the easy stuff and work down to the harder stuff. Also a hard learned lesson (again) that you should check some of the easy stuff first.
Live and learn as they say. I will be more hands on for now on.. I do appreciate everyone's input.. Thanks!

On a side note, I will be looking for another caddy in the near future and I am considering a V. I just got a promotion at work and now it is attainable!

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
What are you waiting for? I still have one of each! CTS Performance package is my daily driver, the V, well, the V is my fun one. I probably should edit that to read FUN one! Definitely more smiles per mile.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now I am happy with my current caddy, even with the couple issues I have had. I want a 2015 but want to wait till the end of the year, by then any issues with the new models will be ironed out. I never driven any car with more than 350 ponies... My friend has the Viper and that thing is a beast.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
194 Posts
Kind of unusual to lose that much steering fluid without some kind of leak somewhere. I would check the power steering fluid lines for leaks.

Hi, thanks for the response. I am starting to believe I got fleeced. The only reason it was 500 is because I got a 10% coupon off their site. Well, I ended up checking my power steering fluid and guess what it was low. I can't believe the dealer didn't catch that! I called them and got the old song and dance. I will not ever go back to that dealer, for the remainder of my powertrain warranty I will take it a Chevy dealer that is close to my house for repairs. This is not the first time I had an issue with them. The only reason I was taking it to them is because they are near my job. I am so mad right now.

----------

I would like a GM representative to contact me, I know they lurk around this forum. I would like to tell them all he issues I have had with this dealer.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I topped it off yesterday, drove it to work 20 miles. And at lunch today I checked and it was just fine. I did look for leaks but didn't see any. If it is leaking it must be a very small leak. Or at the dealer they did something and some of the fluid drained and they never topped it off. I will keep monitoring it for sure now. Might even take it to an independent repair shop and let them look at it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I work at a GM dealership. List price of a single coil is about $92. Even if "matrix" pricing is applied, I can't see more than maybe $125-$150 for a coil. It's held in with a single bolt and sits on top of the valve cover.

My guess is that you were charged one flat rate hour diagnosis and another hour to remove and replace the coil.

You may have an issue to bring up to the service manager. I'm pretty sure the flat rate time to R & R a coil is not one hour but something significantly less.

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
My invoice, invoice # CDCS126670 dated 10/29/14 from Claude Nolan Cadillac in Jacksonville, FL breaks down as follows:
1 ea. part number 12622561 Spark Plu 2.270 Y $10.72
1 ea. part number 12632479 Coil 2.170 * Y $89.36
Total Parts $100.08
Labor $165.00
Shop supplies were $14.85 and Hazardous Materials $1.50 plus sales tax $19.70 for a grand total of $301.13

There were no diagnostic charges, I just took it in and told them I had the CEL on and git 'er done. They did. They done you wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My invoice, invoice # CDCS126670 dated 10/29/14 from Claude Nolan Cadillac in Jacksonville, FL breaks down as follows:
1 ea. part number 12622561 Spark Plu 2.270 Y $10.72
1 ea. part number 12632479 Coil 2.170 * Y $89.36
Total Parts $100.08
Labor $165.00
Shop supplies were $14.85 and Hazardous Materials $1.50 plus sales tax $19.70 for a grand total of $301.13

There were no diagnostic charges, I just took it in and told them I had the CEL on and git 'er done. They did. They done you wrong.
Some dealers will bury the diagnostic charge in the flat rate labor to R & R the part(s). Others show it as a separate line.

Flat rate labor is another bone altogether. Some dealers use GM warranty time. Others use Motors or All Data. Many will charge whatever the technician feels like charging for the job.

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
I do understand nothing in life is "free". As we used to say in college, "Gas, grass, or ass, nobody rides for free!"

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I took it in, I did not question it because I was in a hurry to get out. Had to go to the Hospital to visit my Dad. He was going to charge me $130 for the diagnosis if I didn't have the car done by them. Now think of it he must of charged me and included it in the repairs. My invoice is as follow.

Replace ignition coil and spark plug #1....... $403.50
1. 126324479 W-(S) Coil ......................... $92.96
1. 12622561 (S) Spark plug ..................... $18.12
misc. Charges ........................................ $27.50
Tax.......................................................... $12.48
Total ..................................................... $554.56
Less Coupon .......................................... $50.00
$504.56

1 - 20 of 30 Posts