Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously posted some problems about 6 months ago. I finally got the car to my repair shop today for them to diagnose the problems.

97 Cadillac Deville D'elegance 33K miles.

Problem 1) I was having problems turning left (no power assist to the left).
Answer 1) They told me that the spool in the rack is shot and that I would need a new rack.

Problem 2) Transmission/exhaust noise
Answer 2) Brace under exhaust had been bent up and is rattling against the exhaust pipes. Whew...it sounded like a bad tranny, glad thats all it was.

Problem 3) A/C not cooling.
Answer 3) They said that the compressor is not moving any freon, and that it needed replacing. They would do a full flush and recharge and replace the dryer (whatever that is)

Estimates:
Steering rack: $587
Brace fix: $58
A/C: $780

I will most likely fix the brace myself. However, I am thinking about attempting to replace the rack myself too. I am pretty mech. inclined...have changed a timing belt on a nissan 300ZX.

Any of you guys attempted to do this or should I leave it to the shop?

Also, does the estimate seem to look fair? I have priced the steering rack and the cheapest reman'd one I have found is $399. Also, the cheapest New A/C compressor and clutch I have found is $349.

Thanks for the help guys..I just hate to have to spend my christmas dough on the car.

Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,719 Posts
Well Mr. Bill Gates, the price for the rack r&r seems fair. This job isn't for the faint of heart.
The price for the A/C seems fair IF it includes the compressor.
Best service and prices I've found for A/C stuff is Arizona Air (ackits.com)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...I went ahead and told them to fix the rack. I checked Napa, Oreilly, etc for the price on parts, and it came out to be that he was selling the parts to me at cost.

I went by the caddy stealership to see what they would charge, and they flat out told me to go with the independent shop, as it would likely be almost twice as much for them to do it. They estimated 5-6 hours labor at $89/hr. The shops labor for that was only $200, so it seemed fair.

I used to go to school with the owners daughter, so he cut me a small discount. Additionally, he fixed the bent brace for free.

I'm gonna wait to fix the A/C until it gets hot again. The price did include the compressor, and all other parts that would normally be replaced. It seemed fair price considering it's a $1400 job at the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts