Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catera 1998: My PS is normal the first few minutes after start-up, and at speeds 10mph+ while accellerating/turning. Steering/parallel parking is difficult and when slowing down and then turning. Yet the fluid level is normal and clean. I was told there could be an air-gap in the line/hose and that I should flush the line, and add new PS fluid. If that doesn't solve the problem, simply replace the PS pump. OK. I know where the PS fluid container is, but where's the pump located? Is it under the battery housing area or near the PS fluid container? Is there a thumb-screw or bolt-head to unscrew to drain the PS fluid... to add new fluid?

Any help would be appreciated. Enz

·
Registered
97 Catera
31 Posts
Enz your PS steering pump is located on the drivers side front of your engine and driven by your serpentine belt, havent actually looked at it but in my experience there is no drain plug.. shops use a machine with 2 motors and 2 hoses and some filters as well as a couple reserviors, one for new fluid, one for old fluid, what happens is they turn on the one motor and it pulls the old fluid out till the PS system starts to make a racket and then start adding new fluid with the other pump, they continue this process for 5-10 mins till they think they got all the fluid swapped out...costs around 20-30 bucks most times and is very fast and easy to do, this machine is used for changing the fluid in transmissions as well. if your going to do it yourself id suggest disconnecting the hoses from the P/S pump and letting the old fluid drain out then re-attach the lines and refill with new fluid, most air bubbles in the P/S system are worked out on thier own..so i dont really know why they would tell you theres an air bubble "stuck" in the lines... you say the fluid looks clean and is full, so i really dont know why theyd tell you you need this operation performed.. once again i think they saw you comin from a mile away and you are being taken for a ride so to speak...

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ty steven420
I think for all its worth, I'll take it to a local shop - not the dealership. All the same, if the fluid level hasnt changed and is clean, and yet the PS works... but not all the time. Perhaps a new PS pump installed will solve the problem.
Enz

·
Registered
97 Catera
31 Posts
Enz, its an expensive part to just TRY to change and hope it helps but IMHO its probably whats wrong with your Cat. if its not too much of a hit to your finances id give it a shot. at least if it doesnt fix it you know whats NOT wrong with it...vague i know but without more information or being able to see or experience the aforementioned problem its all i can tell ya. your P/S system is a variable speed ratio steering, the major components involved are your P/S pump, of coarse the belt, the recirculating ball steering assembly, theres also a pressure regulating valve and a speed sensor that senses your speed and changes the amount of effort that the P/S system applies at a given speed..3-4 MAJOR components and the neccesary wiring and fluid hoses related to them. i explained this system in detail in a previous post that you responded to but for the life of me i cant find it on short notice >.< im sorry i cant help you more and i hope you can get your problem resolved, if not then please keep me/us updated and we'll do our best to get you through this : )

i can only suggest that a dealership or Catera experienced shop would know alot more about this system than I, but stranger things have happened and most Catera mechanics have had 5-7 years to forget what they may have known about these cars...GL

Steven

Doh! Found it :http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/112248-help-cadillac-catera-98-a.html

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
i can only suggest that a dealership or Catera experienced shop would know alot more about this system than I, but stranger things have happened and most Catera mechanics have had 5-7 years to forget what they may have known about these cars...[/url]
Speaking of which, it may very well be a variable effort steering module. Almost identical symptoms between a pump that is weak and a module that won't allow full assist. I've seen more modules bad than weak pumps on Cateras.
If it is a weak pump, the effort will get easier with RPM. Put the car in neutral, start turning the wheel stop to stop with one finger (if you can), then raise the RPM to 1500 and see if it gets considerably easier. If so it's a weak pump, if not it's a module.

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks your suggestions as I'll apply what I have learned...
TY: Stven420 & Cadillac Tech gurus. (Fact: PS works at higher rpms... so, 51% convinced its the pump).
Enz

·
Registered
2000 Catera
314 Posts
Just replaced a power steering pump yesturday successfully, fairly easily. I was having the same symptoms. No power assist at idle speeds. If it were a module that check engine light would come on. If anything electrical were wrong it would come on. But anyways i have a couple tips to make anyones repair a bit easier. Before you start anything make sure you loosen the screws on the pully before you take the belt off. Otherwise you'll be working with a rotating pully trying to get them off. Secondly when it's time to take the belt off, there is a shiney steel bar that runs from one side of the engine to the other that can be pulled out on the passenger side by a clamp, pull that out. This way it will give you more space and leverage to loosen the tensioner. It really gets in the way, and you could risk breaking or bending it if you don't. It's a fairly simple repair. All it is, is a pump mounted to the front of the engine by three screws with a hose running to the resevoir and another running to the sterring gear. Undo these and it comes right out! LEAVE THE HOSE RUNNING TO THE RESEVOIR ON THE PUMP! You'll never get it back on the pump when it's mounted to the engine. You'll see what I mean when you actaully get to it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all of you ~ I just went to my local car-guy to have the PW pump replaced; I thought I'd do it myself, however paid about $350 for a new pump and had the serpentine belt replaced becuase it had visible cracks. PS is wonderful! I will never go back to a cadi-dealer to get this (1998 catera; 93K) fixed ever again.

Previously, the dealer wanted close to $900 for a new radiator+labor = installed. I bought one online from http://www.rockauto.com/ for $198+250 labor. Dealer wanted $1500 for a new EBTCM; I paid $200 to have mine pulled and sent it to http://modulemaster.com/index.html ... and for $200 they fixed my original. I personally replaced the speed sensor, the front brakepad sensors, and brake pads. Paid for a transmission rebuild with 5year warranty and crack shaft senser...

Why do I love this car so much? I bought it in FL for $2500 from my brothers neighbor; drove (1300 miles) to WI without and problems two summers ago and figured I'd eventaully have to put some $$$ into it. No - matter. It runs great, PW works and I feel pretty safe driving it.

I'm still paraniod though, as evident when I hear squeeks or whines - say at a stop light... and think: "Oh no now what's happening to my cadi..." and cringe!

But its the car next to me! LOL

Enz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts