Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Re:
2006 DTS Performance
Mileage = 123,126
I bought the car with 47k miles on it in Nov, 2014 from a Cadillac dealer in Houston, TX.

I just had the power steering hose replaced at a local shop; not the dealer. Now, the steering is stiff all the time and the steering wheel will not return to center when turning. I have power steering, but not like it was prior to the hose replacement. Brief history:
  • I was seeing fluid on top of the engine cover. Thought at first it was engine oil. I would clean it off, check a few days later, more drops of fluid on the cover.
  • One morning I heard a horrible growl when turning the steering wheel. I knew then it was power steering fluid.
  • Checked the reservoir and it was almost dry, just enough to cover the bottom of the tank. Added fluid and noise went away. Drove for a week with no issues.
  • Today I took the car to the shop. The hose did have a small split. The mechanic replaced it.
  • I knew from reading many posts in this forum about purging air from the system, so I performed the "lock-to-lock 20 times each way" procedure (car running, in neutral). That didn't help.

The leak is fixed, I have power steering, and there is no noise or vibration at all when driving. I know the steering is supposed to stiffen up as speed increases, but now it is stiff period.
I am returning the car tomorrow. Any ideas? The Variable Effort Steering actuator?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I just checked the fluid before I started the car this morning. It was too full. When I twisted the cap off, I heard a whoosh sound. I sucked out some of the fluid and went for a drive. It seemed to improve but not 100% yet. I also learned I should have done the "lock-to-lock 20 times" procedure with the cap off. So I will try that and make sure the fluid is not overfull. No noises. Just drives like a tractor.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
467 Posts
I believe Performance models have Magnasteer, whatever that is, and other DTS don't.
I had no problems after my PS hose was replaced, and I didn't do the 20 turns bit (don't know about my mechanic). But I didn't let the fluid level get that low.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
422 Posts
Try jacking up the front of the car and then do the 20 turns lock to lock slowly or at medium speed not fast and see if that helps. Google power steering bleed and you will probably find a lot of other information also.. Sometimes you can even put a vacuum on the system that will help if nothing else does.

Roy

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,
I thought all DTSs had the Magnasteer but not the magnetic ride control struts. Only Performance had the expen$ive struts. I'll have to check again. I did search "bleeding power steering" and I found a few videos about it. They showed using a device to create a vacuum and then do the turns lock-to-lock and the vacuum draws out any trapped air. After I get off work I am going to get one of those gizmos and try it. I called the mechanic and he said he turned the wheels a few times but I'm sure that wasn't sufficient given what I know now about bleeding the system. Ugh... some mechanics. Thanks for your replies!

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,562 Posts
Most of these FWD Northstar cars had Variable Assist Steering - the faster you go, the tighter the steering gets - it's done with a variable bypass for steering fluid - easy power steering at slow speeds; tighter at high speeds.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
467 Posts
Hello,
I thought all DTSs had the Magnasteer but not the magnetic ride control struts.
Yes, you're right.
found this: On GM's Magnasteer racks, loss of current to the magnetic coils would cause a loss of power assist at low speed.

I wonder if the wire to the magnets got disconnected when the hose was replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts