Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering pressure hose is leaking on my 2004 srx. Teflon tape was suggested but didn't work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
738 Posts
Replace the entire hose assembly.
I got mine from NAPA.
O'Reilly also sells them.
It's a bit of a tight fit getting a wrench on the pump fitting. Remember you can move the engine quite a bit on the mounts using a helper with a 2by4 or jack handle.

·
Registered
2006 SRX 3.6 RWD
7 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Spend the money on an AC Delco power steering hose that was made for your car. I went through three Gates hoses from Rock Auto. They wouldn't work because the flange on the Gates hoses is different than the OEM flange. Yes, it took me three times to figure that out. :bigroll: The fourth hose I bought an AC Delco hose made for my Cadillac. That's when I LOOKED at the flange and was like, wtf? If you do decide to go the after market route, compare each end of the hose to the one you took off (assuming it is the OEM hose you're removing) and make sure the fitting is correct.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,164 Posts
I had similar happen on a 2008 V6. There is a short high pressure bend that connects two aluminum tubes. I went to a hose place and found one of the right diameter and psi capacity. I can't remember how high the pressure gets, but it is substantial so I went with a steel mesh enforced hose and it has been in place for a couple of years now without any issues.

·
Registered
'04 SRX Northstar
15 Posts
I had similar happen on a 2008 V6. There is a short high pressure bend that connects two aluminum tubes. I went to a hose place and found one of the right diameter and psi capacity. I can't remember how high the pressure gets, but it is substantial so I went with a steel mesh enforced hose and it has been in place for a couple of years now without any issues.
Do this.

Far easier and cheaper, because typically it is only the rubber which wears out. I believe the proper ID heater hose is what I used, and so far it is holding up. Repair was done in January.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
738 Posts
Almost 16 years and my engine and trans are totally leak free....but I've had ps leaks three different places:

pressure hose leaked at fitting to pump
return line rubbed through on bracket
VES solenoid leaked

maybe there's some benefit to that electric assist...

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
218 Posts
Had leak in return(low pressure) p/s line. There was a small, pin hole leak from corrosion on the flared end going into the rack. Was a real pia trying to find that one!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought both lines, pressure and return. Has anyone out there replaced them? Is it very difficult? Apparently my local garage doesn't want to touch it, so I may have to do it myself.
Thanks/

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
738 Posts
Turning the pressure line nut on the pump was hard to access....very close to the inner fender. An assistant can use a 2x4 or jack handle to push the engine a bit on the rubber mounts to get more wrench clearance. Otherwise I don't remember any issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
If we are talking about the H shape two hoses right behind the front bumper. Then it was for me(not professional) not that hard to do from under the car after removing the plastic cover underneath.
I have ordered the spare from GM via Rockauto. Daily use for one year, no leak whatsoever by now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts