Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very slow leak in the area shown in the picture. Am I correct in saying it is the junction to the oil cooler and thus has two low pressure lines attached? I read somewhere that the aluminum tubing can get pitted from road salt and will need to confirm, but may have to replace the cooler tubing. Anyone else want to comment/chime in?

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 srx V6
44 Posts
Not sure about low pressure , but it is where mine leaked, got part from dealer was like couple hundred bucks in canada because they wont sell just one piece of aluminum or hose you have to buy like the double line and its like 2 sections.Still better than dripping on driveway and refilling.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Yes, the pressure is low because the flow is out of the rack, through the cooler and back to the reservoir.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am considering replacing the two solid lines that run from the bottom of the radiator up to the actual power steering oil cooler. I have located a source for replacement set. Has anyone else done this? Any instructions?

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Looks straight forward, just access by removing upper grill.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I replaced both hoses coming from the PS oil cooler and tightened them with new clamps. Three of the four are fine, but it is still leaking at the same cooler line junction (bottom of the rad). I am almost certain the clamp does not leak and think that the aluminum line is leaking where it runs through the sleeve and clamp that holds it to the radiator. If so, what is the easiest repair? Has anyone else had this issue? Any power steering experts out there? I was thinking of removing the line from the clamp and running the rubber hose over the entire section and use multiple hose clamps.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Issue fixed.

Well I decided to take off the bracket for the power steering cooler lines at the bottom of the rad and observe. Sure enough, the aluminum tubing was leaking right where the bracket sits! The cause was pretty clear, as there was corrosion where it was in contact with the iron bracket. Add some road salt spray and voila, aluminum pitting occurs. To fix I slipped the hose onto the tubing more to cover the hole and used hose clamps on both sides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts