Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 DTS 110,000 miles. For a few months I have been adding a shot of power steering fluid every month or so (not a bad leak). Based on my knowledge of Northstar engines, I assumed it was the high pressure power steering hose.

Today I am changing the alternator and looked for the leak while I was under there and found the leak, but it is coming from a bolt.
I was tempted to assume it was the drain plug and thought about tightening it up, but then I know some people have regretting doing something without making VERY sure what the part is.

The "bolt" is on the driver side of the rack and pinion. I see no other leak around the area and am 95% sure, it is not dripping onto the bolt ( giving a false impression of where the leak is).

Attached is a picture of the "Bolt". The picture is taken from under the car under the driver seat facing towards the front of the car.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. It is not a drain plug. Apparently there is a spring behind it and needs to be torqued.
The dealer said $2,150 to replace the rack and pinion. I am shocked, I would have guessed $1,500.

So, my next question is how hard is it to change the rack and pinion?
And how long does it take?

I do work on cars, but never did this particular thing.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,357 Posts
Rack and pinon may or may not require a subframe drop. I'm in the process of this on my 96, and I'm hesitant to proceed due to that fact. The shop manual says drop the subframe, though I'm curious if it's necessary.

·
2011 DTS
2011 DTS Luxury II
37 Posts
YouTube is your friend -- several good vids on changing the rack. You don't have to drop the entire sub-frame, merely loosen the frame and lower the rear section. This vid shows a good DIY approach done in a driveway.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rack and pinon may or may not require a subframe drop. I'm in the process of this on my 96, and I'm hesitant to proceed due to that fact. The shop manual says drop the subframe, though I'm curious if it's necessary.
Yea, I have the FSM for the 2009, and it says to drop the subframe just enough to remove the rack and pinion. That was one of the 3 things I am uneasy about.
The 2nd is how to disconnect the steering column. There is a plastic cover and I can't see how to remove it to get to the Nut or bolt.
And the 3rd item is the FSM says to remove the bolts on the transmission mount. but doesnt say if the transmission side needs to be supported.
I am sssuming the bolts is so you can drop the subframe .

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YouTube is your friend -- several good vids on changing the rack. You don't have to drop the entire sub-frame, merely loosen the frame and lower the rear section. This vid shows a good DIY approach done in a driveway.

Thanks!... I have seen the older ones, but I am a stickler for details. I could not find one for 2009 DTS, but tomorrow when I have time, I could watch this one and see if the idea is basically the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts