Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our old '08 V6 is now our daughter's car but I still do the wrenching. I heard a squeal just after a start up this past winter. Noticed that the PS fluid was below the hash marks. Added fluid and that fixed the problem. Checked the fluid regularly and it appear to be leaking a little bit of fluid but not copious amounts. Have been checking the fluid regularly and haven't really needed to add a lot - maybe 25 mL at a time and no more frequently than every 3-4 weeks.

Went under the car a couple of weeks ago and confirmed that the leak was around the steering pump. Absolutely coated with oil.

The above picture is sideways. At the time, I didn't know where the leak was coming from. I assumed it was this solenoid but I wasn't sure because absolutely everything was coated with either grime or PS fluid.

I monitored it and then finally did a degreasing this past Monday in order to be able to pinpoint the location of the leak.So, here's that same solenoid after cleaning. This was taken three days ago. The orientation of this picture is upside-down (sorry). I used a degreaser and steam to clean everything just so I could check in a couple of days later. I knew I couldn't wait too long otherwise the coating of oil wouldn't necessarily be close to the source of the leak.

Yesterday, I jacked up the car and took the LF wheel off, eager to see the great reveal!

And there you have it.

The part number is 19257738 and it looks like this:

I suspect that one or both of these o-rings have failed. If it was just the o-ring, I would replace only that under normal circumstances. The solenoid does not look good from the outside so my instincts are to replace at least the solenoid.

My research concluded that the solenoid is (a) not cheap and (b) about 3/4 the price of a NOS OEM rack which includes the solenoid so I've ordered the rack and should do the replacement of whatever I need sometime in June after it arrives.

I will keep this thread posted.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
296 Posts
I've only replaced that solenoid once, not due to a leak, but due to an electric fault which effectively disabled the power steering. When replacing just solenoid, be sure to find yourself a massive set of claw wrenches to get it off. The orientation in there is really tough to wrench on if I can recall. I feel like I had to destroy the old solenoid to get it off.

Smart going with the whole rack. Probably easier, and let's be honest, you replace the solenoid and the rack would have failed you weeks later. Murphy's law LOL

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
708 Posts
Mine looked just as nasty as yours...like a rust magnet. The housing is a crappy stamping with zero protective coating. Great pics though. I wonder how many hundreds of bucks this costs to fix at the dealer? You can see why nobody wants a Caddy beyond the three year lease period.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've only replaced that solenoid once, not due to a leak, but due to an electric fault which effectively disabled the power steering. When replacing just solenoid, be sure to find yourself a massive set of claw wrenches to get it off. The orientation in there is really tough to wrench on if I can recall. I feel like I had to destroy the old solenoid to get it off.

Smart going with the whole rack. Probably easier, and let's be honest, you replace the solenoid and the rack would have failed you weeks later. Murphy's law LOL
Thanks for the warning! On the other hand, my seal is quite well lubricated and the o-rings are undoubtedly going to be on all that tightly...

Mine looked just as nasty as yours...like a rust magnet. The housing is a crappy stamping with zero protective coating. Great pics though. I wonder how many hundreds of bucks this costs to fix at the dealer? You can see why nobody wants a Caddy beyond the three year lease period.
I'm surprised that it isn't at least a galvanized housing.

The list price of the part (assuming that the dealer would only replace the solenoid) is about $400 (plus PS fluid) and labour would be over two hours - call it a grand. The satisfaction level of SRX ownership is directly correlated with the ability to do your own wrenching.

Frankly, my experience with our GM cars (I've had nothing but GM for 20 years and that's after 20 years of exclusively Japanese cars) is that it's gaskets, hoses, and o-rings that you have to watch. On this car, I would add rust. So, had I undercoated, I might be more inclined to keep this car longer. It's a decision I will not repeat in the future. My CTS is only a year newer and it is way less expensive to maintain and significantly less rust-prone. My other daughter's '12 Cruze is in good shape and 100% of its problems are related to failing hoses, gaskets, and o-rings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts