Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down my road today...in the snow... and the weirdest thing happened. The power steering failed on me. I almost hit a tree actually cause it was in a bend of the road. Then i tried steering back and fourth in it to see if it would happen again. It was very stiff. It wasnt as bad as it was at that instant point in my turn but still stiff. Not even close to what it was before that. Then again at a hard turn, it failed again and i had to really pull on the wheel to turn it. This happened once before for a split second when i was driving out of the dealership on the test drive. I asked the dealer about it and he shrugged it off and i forgot all about it. No failure codes ever came up on the diagnostic panel. But i do have the service suspension system that came on due to a bad strut..which will be fixed on wednesday. I cant see those problems tying in together.

Ive searched for other escalades with this problem but found nothing. I do see the cadi cars have been having similar problems. Just wondering if anyone knows what it could be? how much it would cost? etc. Im sure the dealer will fix it because i bought this truck a week ago today.

Im guessing right off the hop its a power steering pump. The power steering reservoir is full up to the max fill line so i dont get what it could be,

any ideas?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
So you lost power assist COMPLETELY and then it came back normal later? My first guess would be that it is a bad pump, or air in the power steering system etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you lost power assist COMPLETELY and then it came back normal later? My first guess would be that it is a bad pump, or air in the power steering system etc.
ya just went out for a few hours and it seems fine now. I called the dealer and told them i was sick of these things that shouldnt be happening when they did a 150 point check to sell the vehicle. Just proves they took shortcuts on getting rid of it. Since i took over ownership... They have now installed a new battery, a $740 strut, and it looks like a pump. Do you guys have the same deal in the U.S. where when you buy a used vehicle you can return it within 30 days if it doesnt meet up with the standards you believed you were paying for. I have leveridge right now for another 2 or 3 weeks and then when that month is up im on my own....i guess its a good thing that im getting these repairs now rather than a month down the road. yikes that wouldve been costly.

i'll let you guys know what the problem was wednesday afternoon with the power steering.

·
Registered
DHS, 2007 ESV
241 Posts
If you can, return it within the 30 day period. If the early days of ownership reveal that many issues, you are probably in for many more. Not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can, return it within the 30 day period. If the early days of ownership reveal that many issues, you are probably in for many more. Not worth the hassle.
im not quite at the point where im writing this off as a lemon lol. Batteries die, especially after sitting on a car lot in minus 40 weather for 3 months, struts go (especially on escalades), and a power steering pump can go after 80 thou kms, I live in a small town, the last owner was an older women, she had all the service records from same dealer. I just went to get the tints down at the local audio install shop, and the guy says, " you bought *name*'s truck?!?, you got a good truck she babied that thing" that made my day. So unless they are all lying to me I SHOULD be ok....time will tell i guess. i'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

What the real issue is, is the mechanics should have picked up on a nearly dead battery and a strut problem. Thats the bullshit cadillac 150 point check for you. Honest mechanics do not exist, unless you and he are friends. I truly believe that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts