Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2008 sts4 with the 3.6. When I got it, it was low on PS fluid, if not empty. I put some in, but the problem still persists. There’s little to no power steering when in park idling or moving at a slow speed. If I rev it up to 2k it will work. The power steering likes to cut out at a lot of corners too, regardless of how fast I’m going. At least then it’s moving pretty good and it’s a lot easier to steer, but it’s very difficult to park or even take a roundabout. The fluid is full and I’ve since flushed it and put new fluid in. The belt is not loose either. I think it’s probably the pump but I’m not entirely sure.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,097 Posts
Your power steering pump is shot. This is a very common event. If you go to a dealer they will first hit you with $100+ charges for trouble shooting and flush/fill. Then change the pump for even more money. The hardest part of DIY is getting the pulley off the old pump and onto the new one. Removing and replacing the high pressure hose is tricky as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and the reassurance. I started to remove the pump today, got as far as removing the surrounding brackets, then figured I should get a second opinion before I remove it entirely. I’m also wondering if this car has some sort of awd steering assist. Looks like the rest is going to be quite a pain to do. I guess I won’t go for the cheapest one I can find, I don’t want to have to do this again. Not sure why but parts for this car are difficult to find.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,097 Posts
It has just the normal power steering. You can usually borrow or rent a special puller for the pulley on the pump. Don't try an ordinary puller. All it'll do is break a chunk out of the pulley and then you are really screwed.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
358 Posts
You can also call around and find a shop that will change the pulley for you.

Roy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts