Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 deville concours
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all. 1995 Concours.

Had hints of engine running rough lately but not terrible. I was driving home after work today. Car started hesitating/surging starting from a red light and on gear changes it seems? Like there's a resistance and then it pushes through it.

Got the Service Engine Soon light.

Pulled over to check what was going on.
Codes were P036H, P095H.
(also S030H and S032C).

Got back in to drive home. SES light came back on.

Drove a bit more - more of the same but nothing too outrageous.

Then power steering died.

I put the hazards on and pulled it slowly to the side. Luckily not too much traffic right then. I must have been braking but I think it also felt like the car was losing power.

Power off. Then codes were P036C, and same others.

Was able to restart. I think it stalled out once. Managed to get home. Power steering was working again.

Ah..

So. I read a little on here about cleaning the EGR valve. Throttle body was recently cleaned - maybe some carbon got shaken down there and jammed it up more? Will try cleaning in a.m.

Is the power steering failure related?

(Also, other background info is: had to leave one old plug in during recent tuneup.. and had AC recharged..)

What you think?

Thanks..

·
Registered
1995 deville concours
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah.. i get it. It sinks in slowly.

Power steering and braking died because of a stall. The dash was still on so it didn't register in my tiny brain that I'd stalled out right then I guess.. Concentrating on getting to the side of the road.

Yeah, found this:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/59077-how-clean-egr-valve.html

If I'm reading this right I'd need to depressurize fuel system and remove the fuel rail and injectors (recall's been done).

Am I reading that right? Injectors must come out too? Saw some other instructions that said just disconnect electrical leads on injectors and pull the fuel rail off them.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
I have the 1995 Deville Concurs too. Waht to remove the EGR valve and ran into your post. I'm wondering if you figured out how to remove the fuel line.
What a pain in the butt! A half hour job turned into a half day job.

Any way would appreciate knowing how to deal with this.

·
Registered
1995 deville concours
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah yes... It took me a bunch of attempts to figure out how to move it. It wasn't obvious just looking at it.

I think the key thing was, you have to loosen and remove all four of the black posts holding down the fuel rail (and which also extend upwards to hold the valve cover.) Once these are off you can lift the fuel rail with the injectors still attached.

The injectors should come right out of their ports once the rail is loose - there aren't any other fasteners - they just have o-rings around them or something.. Just be careful not to get any gunk on them - my engine is really dirty so there was the danger of getting greasy crap on the injectors or in their ports. Once I got the rail and injectors loose i supported the whole assembly on some balled up paper towels so the injector tips were suspended above any grime.

I also disconnected the two fuel lines - but it didn't seem like this was necessary - it seemed like there is already enough play in those lines somewhere lower down to move the rail off the EGR valve bolt. If you do end up having to unhook them, get a fuel line disconnect tool for GM fuel lines - the one i got is like a silver butterfly looking type thing. And also depressurize the system first - there's a schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail you can uncap and relieve - like on a bike tire. Make sure to put a rag under it first and soak up any raw fuel - same with the fuel line disconnect points. But again - i don't think this step was really necessary.. Try to skip it.

Anyway, I ended up replacing the whole EGR valve - tried cleaning it and it started moving, then if froze shut with the pintle stuck open - flush to the top of the hole it's in. It was caked with carbon. I got a new remanned one and a new gasket at Autozone - didn't want to add more time to the whole thing by ordering a Delco part through rockauto.. Would have liked to though. Got impatient.

When you're all done carefully line up all the injectors with their ports and press the fuel rail down till they're snug. Put all the bolts back in, etc. As always, careful with the dropping of bolts.. Heh..

Have fun.

:duck:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts