21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
500-CID said:
Dave, I think you know my answer..:burn:
Yeah I guess so :D What kind of 75 Caddy do ya have?

MMNineInchNails said:
You really want that q-jet, huh? what cfm is it?
795cfm I believe and I don't see enough differance between a QJet and any other carb to justify spending any money on it.. keeping in mind that I already have the QJet so I won't need to spend any money on it except maybe some carb cleaner.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
500-CID said:
Its a coupe deville:D
Hey all who is looking for carbs, rebuilt carbs or to have yours rebuilt. There is a guy down the street from my house (4 doors down) who does that all day long. I know he has stuff on ebay his website is carbdoctor.com He did the carb on my chevelle and it is a work of art. Completely cromed out, and looks/works great

·
Registered
520 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
I'd buy a 1989 Nissan 240SX throw a turbo on it and throw on some a 100 shot of nitrous and walla! Instant low 13 sec 1/4's!
Blackout, I've seen several of your posts and I really need to ask a question. I'm not being a jerk so don't get emotional abouthis, it's just curiosity.
People ask questions related to buying or working on a Cadillac and invariably you seem to memtion how you would spend the money on some sort of Asian import. And that wasn't what was asked. Your info descrices you as a "Cadillac fan" but you don't own one and keep telling everyone to buy Jap.
My question is, Why are you here ? Wouldn't you honestly be happier spending your time at a forum dedicated to the cars you seem to love so much ?
Just honest curiosity.
You don't have to own a Cadillac to join this forum, but you don't even seem to like them at all.
Bob

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I don't own a Cadillac either. Don't even own an American car. Mine are Japanese, Swedish, and German.

But I'm emotional about the Cadillacs my parents had when I was growing up--I loved those cars (and I loved IN those cars! :histeric: ). Even after my test-drive of an Acura TL Friday I'm still very likely to pick up a DeVille when the time comes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Elvis said:
I don't own a Cadillac either. Don't even own an American car. Mine are Japanese, Swedish, and German.

But I'm emotional about the Cadillacs my parents had when I was growing up--I loved those cars (and I loved IN those cars! :histeric: ). Even after my test-drive of an Acura TL Friday I'm still very likely to pick up a DeVille when the time comes.
I didn't mean to imply you had to own one. But I've yet to read Blackout having any kind of positive comment about Cadillacs. Or any other American car.
Maybe it's because I worked for GM for quite a few years, I don't know.
But you said yourself, you like the cars. That's a major difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
bob2231 said:
I didn't mean to imply you had to own one. But I've yet to read Blackout having any kind of positive comment about Cadillacs. Or any other American car.
Maybe it's because I worked for GM for quite a few years, I don't know.
But you said yourself, you like the cars. That's a major difference.
As for the original post about a $2500 dollar build
Some of your prices are a bit high
from me a cam springs and lifters are about $400
pistons are a little under $400
need to add rings $80 or a bit more
youll need gaskets/bearings
what you really left out is machine work and that will add around $1000 to your build if you intend to do it right
something to remember about a SBC build is that the engine will in no way or shape move a 4000 lb caddy like a 472/500 will even in near stock form
if you decide to do something i can steer you in the right direction and save you some money
later

·
Registered
36 Posts
and oh yeah

JWalker said:
what you really left out is machine work and that will add around $1000 to your build if you intend to do it right
something to remember about a SBC build is that the engine will in no way or shape move a 4000 lb caddy like a 472/500 will even in near stock form
if you decide to do something i can steer you in the right direction and save you some money
later
there are alot more parts missing such as pushrods /rod bolts/head and main bolts/header flanges to convert your chevy headers
and on and on

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
JWalker said:
later
If you were talking about my 500 build up, that was mostly off the top of my head. It doesn't make much differance anyway since I can't afford to do anything other than a pretty much stock engine. I'm hoping I can do it without rebuilding the engine. There's a rusty coupe Deville up the street that I have to ask the person about.. dunno if its a 472 or a 500.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
davesdeville said:
If you were talking about my 500 build up, that was mostly off the top of my head. It doesn't make much differance anyway since I can't afford to do anything other than a pretty much stock engine. I'm hoping I can do it without rebuilding the engine. There's a rusty coupe Deville up the street that I have to ask the person about.. dunno if its a 472 or a 500.
75 & 76 DeVilles had square headlights and came from the factory with 500's. 68-74 DeVilles had 472's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dave,
Sorry to find this so late. You were right in the beginning about parts and building up a 500. A STOCK 500 ('71-73) makes 375 hp and 500 ft.lbs. of torque. The best engine, the'70 Eldo, makes 400 hp/550 ft.lbs.. The last of the 500's, the '76, was the lowest at 300 hp and 468 ft.lbs..
The Edelbrock intake is specifically made for the original Q-Jet. Also, the original Q-Jet on all 472/500's is 800 cfm which is good to 500 hp. The STOCK A-6 compressor will not fit. This is what they are refering to. However, the newer style R-4 compressor might. You will have to modify/have made new A/C hoses. At the worst, you would have to build a compressor mounting bracket that raises the R-4 compressor.
While parts cost more for a 472/500, you START with much more and for a lot less. To have the Q-Jet get a performance rebuilt (the Carb Shop for example) is $300. They will professionally rebuild and set the carb up to your car/engine specs.

davesdeville said:
An Edelbrock performer manifold (2115) can be used with a QJet. Found that out by rereading Cad Companys catalogue.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Cadillac Pat said:
To have the Q-Jet get a performance rebuilt (the Carb Shop for example) is $300. They will professionally rebuild and set the carb up to your car/engine specs.
I'm glad I went ahead and rebuilt mine myself if it was going to cost me $300.. What do they do to call it a "performance rebuild"? Change jets, metering rods or something?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts