Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 LUX AWD; 2011 SRX AWD LUX (sold)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time this year the power folding mirrors failed in the closed position. Last time it was the passenger side, now it's the drivers mirror. Had to drive home 39 miles at night with no mirror! Frozen in the closed position. Though I generally like to fold them in a crowded parking lot, now I regret it. While I wanted to jam it back, I used better judgement because I envisioned the entire motor assembly would be damaged. I'm guessing mucho dinero on that. Was able to un-freeze the mirror housing using the windshield de-ice spray and run it through a few cycles (needed to help it along). Guess I should have known better to use them with all the ice and salt out there. Now I refuse to fold them until this harsh winter is over. Just an FYI for you mirror folders out there!

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
1,865 Posts
This is the second time this year the power folding mirrors failed in the closed position. Last time it was the passenger side, now it's the drivers mirror. Had to drive home 39 miles at night with no mirror! Frozen in the closed position. Though I generally like to fold them in a crowded parking lot, now I regret it. While I wanted to jam it back, I used better judgement because I envisioned the entire motor assembly would be damaged. I'm guessing mucho dinero on that. Was able to un-freeze the mirror housing using the windshield de-ice spray and run it through a few cycles (needed to help it along). Guess I should have known better to use them with all the ice and salt out there. Now I refuse to fold them until this harsh winter is over. Just an FYI for you mirror folders out there!
From the 2010 SRX manual:

The heated outside rearview mirrors
turn on when the rear window
defogger button is on and helps to
clear fog or frost from the surface of
the mirror. See Heated Mirrors on
page 1‑22.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 LUX AWD; 2011 SRX AWD LUX (sold)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Steve, I can de-ice the mirror itself using windshield defog, but that is not the issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't help when the whole assembly is turned in! Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
When the cold weather hits, I spray all the Door rubber molding with Clear silicone spray. A few squirts in the mirror assembly at the joint will help tremendously. The Snow and Ice just cant stick. It also helps when those few times when the Rubber Door seams are wet / damp then the temp drops drastically, you cant open the doors. I've been doing this for years with great results. I also spray the entire Snow Blower inside and out with the clear Silicone, the snow will not stick... :yup:

·
Registered
None
805 Posts
When the cold weather hits, I spray all the Door rubber molding with Clear silicone spray. A few squirts in the mirror assembly at the joint will help tremendously. The Snow and Ice just cant stick. It also helps when those few times when the Rubber Door seams are wet / damp then the temp drops drastically, you cant open the doors. I've been doing this for years with great results. I also spray the entire Snow Blower inside and out with the clear Silicone, the snow will not stick... :yup:
My snowblower seems to be frozen at the moment. I'll consider trying this out if it ever thaws out. In the meantime I'll have to make due with a shovel.

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
The vehicles with power folding mirrors have the 'breakaway' ability. As in, if you hit the mirror on something, the power operation lets go and can be reset by following the procedure in the manual.
If you're really worried about breaking something, don't fold the mirrors.
Also, power items hate ice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts