Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning the (one-year old) battery suddenly was drained.

Car was driven three days ago and then everything normal and has been sitting locked in the garage since then.

Due to the covid-19 it has been driven a lot less than normal lately, but has been used for at least 2x20 min once a week as a minimum.

I gone serial-connect an amp meter on the battery ground cable, does anyone know what power usage (amp) in stand by that is normal on our cars (everything OFF & unlocked)?

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,816 Posts
After the RAP (retained assy. power) times out (15 min?), parasitic drain could be around 45 ma. ,but DEFINATELY below 100 ma.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect!
Then I know, plan to check it out this evening
thanks

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just measured it, altered from 8 mA to 57 mA as the multi-meter was very lively, but the average ended around at 40mA were it seemed to stabilize itself after a while.
As the battery needs charging, bad grounding can be ruled out. Battery itself fairly new and the cables are flawless.
Either some user has not turned itself OFF or am I looking at bad charging, is my conclusion for now at least :unsure:

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the car sitting unlocked in the garage for a few days, then checked the battery voltage which was 12.6 V, and as expected the car started fine.
While driving I toggled the info button to show the battery voltage which stayed steady around 14.0 V (a wonderful feature to have available in this situations). So charging seems to be working fine.

Had the car sitting for one day but this time locked with the remote, and today the battery dead again.
Staring to think it is the car security alarm that’s suck the juice of the battery, haven’t pulled any codes yet

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More and more suspect that my one year old 75ah battery is not 100%

Did a 10 sec load test on it which stopped at 11V, which is on the border between the “weak” and “ok” zone.

The voltage goes up to 13.4 V when I charge it and then drops down to 12.4-12.6 were it seem to stabilize itself

Gone a do a last test charging it and leaving it unconnected, if it drops below 12.5 in less than a week I’m going back to the shop, there is a four year warranty luckily

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
what size battery is in the car?
it should be a group-79 size battery -

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s a 12V & 75ah standard (EU) battery; I use an adapter for the plus connector and have replaced the earth cable with an European style.
Has work well for one year until now.
There is an colour indicator for condition on top of the battery; when green=good, grey=needs charging and white=replace battery, it hard to see any colour in that but it doesn't look green

1 - 9 of 9 Posts