Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing stays up, and its 20 degrees in Buffalo, so hand washing my car is out of the question. I want to keep the car clean to keep salt and stuff off of it, so I like to take it thru an auto wash every week or so. However, I think its gonna snap the thing off (and getting no radio reception would suck!!). I went thru oce last week, and it got pretty bent up (I had to CAREFULLY bend it back to normal), and I am pretty sure it will eventually snap. Is there anything I can do about this? I wish I could manually put it down, but I guess u cant. I was just wondering if there was some way to get around this, or make it so it wont snap off.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You probably need a new antenna mast...... Happens on every car....

There is a nylon belt inside the mast that puts the antenna up and down.... Over time it breaks.... I replaced my mast for about $20 and about 25 mins of my time.... its super easy....

Until that time, unscrew the antenna, and pull it out.... Cut the belt, and put the antenna back in..... Then you can get a new mast when you are ready.....

Search the forums for more info, this topic has been covered....

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
well, on my '93 CDV, you CANNOT get a replacement mast... it is like $150 to buy a whole new power antenna..... the ones on ebay are cheap crappy ones...

... I would go to a junkyard and find one there, I got mine for $50 (also came with a 4ch amp that I am trying to sell) that would probally be your best bet...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem with my '82 Coupe Deville. Could this be a reason why I am not getting any FM reception? (AM reception is fine).

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Youll be getting as good reception if your antenna is up..... But if its down youll notice a difference.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
elwesso said:
Youll be getting as good reception if your antenna is up..... But if its down youll notice a difference.....
So maybe there is no power to the antenna or that the wires to the antenna have somehow been disconnected. How can I check if there is power going to the antenna? Is there a fuse for this or do I need to take the radio out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
brucewayne00