Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced teh power antenna in my 90 Brougham, becasue the old one wouldnt go down, and i thought it looked crappy. Now im regreting it. When its really cold it wont go up all the way, probably because its frozen, or the moisture inside is.
I bet im not the only one to have this problem.

Is there something I can put on it? to keep it from doing this??

I dont want to strain it and have to fix it again.

Thanks

Anthony-

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Take some Tri-Flow on a rag and rub the antenna (once you get it up all the way). Turn the radio on and off a few times to get it to work itself in. Worked fine on my 85 Parisienne.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Hi,

After working with power antenna problems in the car business for many years I've tried just about everything to get them to work.

In my experience, the best way to keep them operating for the long term is to simply keep them clean. Use a glass cleaner to completely polish and wipe it down. For absolute best results, use a micro fiber cloth. Clean off the antenna every time the car is washed.

Spraying lubricants and/or solvents creates build-up inside the antenna assembly over time. There are fine gears and moving parts that can be easily damaged in the assembly. Plus, lubricants attract dust and road salt which are pulled inside every time the antenna is raised and lowered.

If the antenna is older and not moving as it should, the best thing to do is to remove the antenna mast from the assembly, follow instructions in the service manual, and, once the mast section is removed, clean it with completely with a solvent, such as gasoline or pro-sol, and get the built up gunk out of the sections of the mast. Then clean and polish as noted above and re-insert the mast into the assembly. It should work just fine without lubricants and last the lifetime of the car.

Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
My 94 did the same thing a month ago or so. I was forced to disable it in the up position due to the cold (sub zero F).

It warmed up a touch, maybe I can get it back to working again.

·
Registered
1993 FWB, 1979 COUP DE VILLE,'92 ROADMASTER
195 Posts
Bro-Ham said:
Hi,
After working with power antenna problems in the car business for many years I've tried just about everything to get them to work.
In my experience, the best way to keep them operating for the long term is to simply keep them clean. Use a glass cleaner to completely polish and wipe it down. For absolute best results, use a micro fiber cloth. Clean off the antenna every time the car is washed.
Spraying lubricants and/or solvents creates build-up inside the antenna assembly over time. There are fine gears and moving parts that can be easily damaged in the assembly. Plus, lubricants attract dust and road salt which are pulled inside every time the antenna is raised and lowered.
If the antenna is older and not moving as it should, the best thing to do is to remove the antenna mast from the assembly, follow instructions in the service manual, and, once the mast section is removed, clean it with completely with a solvent, such as gasoline or pro-sol, and get the built up gunk out of the sections of the mast. Then clean and polish as noted above and re-insert the mast into the assembly. It should work just fine without lubricants and last the lifetime of the car.
Good luck!
Dave
THANKS, DAVE. I WILL DO AS YOU RECOMMEND. MINE IS HANGING UP IN COLD WEATHER.:yup:

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Constantly have this problem too, in the '93--the only solution so far just being waiting until enough sun and warmth from the car itself gets the antenna unstuck, or just drive the whole time with no radio:bigroll:

I like the concept of a power antenna--hiding away when not being used--but think I might end up switching to something else, just because it'd be nice to be able to turn the radio on when it's cold outside:thumbsup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
lets not make any of this difficult

If you want to disable the power function just disconnect it whent he radio is on and it wont go down anymore.

What I do when I have these problems I either pull it up when it won't go all the way up fully and i spray wd-40 on it then i wipe it down and make the antenna go down and up a few times I only do that about maybe twice a year and it works fine.

Rarely it won't go all the way down so I just push it down and that's it.

I think the 2 or 3 times I've had problems with it I could tell the antenna was all black with gunk all over it so when i wiped it down with wd-40 it helps a lot.

Just pull it or push it down mine hasn't been damaged when I do so.

My antenna is aftermarket though because about 3 years ago when I went to chicago and parked in a garage I didn't notice the garage was too low and it clipped the top of the antenna bending it down and making it unusable.

Once I did disable it because my antenna fuse kept blowing and I didn't know why :banghead: I still don't know why it did I just waited a week and reconnected it. :D

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Another little thing I need to fix on my new '95 is the antenna. Drove it home and around the next day with the radio on, but didn't notice until I went to look that the antenna only can come up about half way on its own because it's both slightly bowed (if you pull/help it the rest of the way up, you can see it) and kinda dirty.

I would just clean it, but it's a little curved like I said, so replacement time is a-comin. Any good suggestions? I've been looking at the power antenna replacement they have here:

http://antennax.com/

But still not sure. Which one did you go with ocjmakaveli?

Looks like I can just disconnect the old and put a new one in, the trickiest part getting the exterior nut/trim off--what do you need to do that?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I was talking about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power-ANTENNA-Kit-Cadillac-Deville-Fleetwood-Allante_W0QQitemZ8031064116QQcategoryZ33639QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But on second thought, I think I'd rather just have a manual replacement, and wonder if something like this would work for me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5832952898
or this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5832866330&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Any suggestions about doing a manual replacement one, besides the looks? It'd probably be even easier, plus I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning the mast often or having it freeze down inside in the winter.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
I use heavy thick grease on my antenna, just a dab at all of the joints where it expands/contracts out of. WD-40 dissipates while the thick grease stays all winter long.....
It coats all these joints and keeps ice/water from forming on the antenna. Dave (Bro-ham) made a good point, however, that I never thought of. The grease and stuff can build up and get in the motor assembly.....

So be sparing I guess is the solution. I dunno.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Good suggestion, I guess, as long as it doesn't get gummed up in there.
Problem with mine is that it has a curve to it once you manually help it up AND is dirty/rough in spots. I could clean it, but that won't help the bent factor.
I like the idea that it can be fully retracted when need be, but for me, I think a typical standard mast replacement would suffice, and I'd never have to even worry about maintenance for it.
Just can't figure out which one to go with...or if, maybe, even to go with another power replacement if I change my mind. Thoughts?:cookoo:

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Any thoughts as to replacing the power mast with one of those fixed Antenna-X brand ones? I want to get this fixed ASAP when I get back home in March, so I have to decide whether to find a OEM or similar power unit or just do a fixed mast...:cookoo:

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
With a fixed mast I think it screws onto a stud that is a fitting that mounts on top of the fender.

With the stock power antenna, it rises out of a ring (or hole) in the fender, meaning that to add a fixed antenna you'd have to alter the "ring" on the fender top become a fitting on top of the exterior of the fender to add a screw-in antenna over the top of it.

What may be possible (never looked closely at the design of FW antenna) is to make the stock power unit a "manual" antenna. I've done this to past vehicles which have a traditional power antenna operated by a tape reel on a small motor. The tape reel winds and unwinds on a reel to make the mast go up and down automatically. If the tape breaks or is severed, then there is no resistance anymore in the mast and you should be able to pull it up or down by hand.

If the FW unit indeed operates by the tape reel method, then you may be able to remove the antenna, take apart the housing, and then alter the tape (cut it) to work like the old fashioned way.
:)
It's cheaper than buying a new anteanna or altering the mount for a screw-in type.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Yeah, I've pretty much ruled out buying another antenna for now. I talked to my father last night (I'm away at school) and he said he's going to try and just clean it up and lube it--it really isn't bent, per say, that badly and still goes up, but needs some help to get the whole way. When up, just has a slight curve to it, which he thinks he could straighten...but we'll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts