Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power antenna motor in my 1989 Cadillac Brougham will not stop running. The antenna isn't moving anymore but the motor never stops. I took out the relay and pushed the antenna back into the housing, but I am not sure what to do now. I'm wondering if this is a mechanical failure of the power antenna or an electrical problem?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Mark Woodley said:
The power antenna motor in my 1989 Cadillac Brougham will not stop running. The antenna isn't moving anymore but the motor never stops. I took out the relay and pushed the antenna back into the housing, but I am not sure what to do now. I'm wondering if this is a mechanical failure of the power antenna or an electrical problem?
The motor in them just goes. I pulled the fuse on mine and now its up all of the time.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Look for a broken limit switch at the bottom of the antenna mast. It may just not be able to tell when it is all the way down.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
The Antenna Has A Nylon Cable At Its End Which Wraps Around A Roller Inside The Motor. If The Mast Breaks Away From The Nylon End The Motor Feels No Tension And The Limit Switch Will Not Engage Allowing The Motor To Continue To Run. Replace The Antenna Assembly With A New One From Gm. They List A Replacement Mast Part Number, But Getting The Antenna Motor Opened Is Alot Of Work. Also The Warranty Will Be On The Mast Only And The Motors Can Fail From Running Continously. Aftermarket Units Dont Fit Well On The Fender And Require Wiring Modifications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts