Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any experience with duplicolor paint? I want my grills, my wheels, and my chrome window trim blacked out (or at least shadowed in the case of the chrome)...thoughts?

·
Registered
08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 13 cts vagon
1,611 Posts
I used it on my wheels looks great so far 1,500 miles. On chrome I don't think it will stay. I spent 1hr on each wheel sanding and cleaning it off it's all in the prep. I know some people that powder coated their grill and it did not stay. So I think paint won't eather. Ryan

·
Registered
2015 XTS Premium
1,182 Posts
I would recommend against it for anything on the front of your car. Paint on the front of a car, since it's subjected to alot of impact stress, should always be baked on or powdercoat. Also, since the grill and trim are chrome, you will need to make sure that you thoroughly sand as much of the plating off as you can, otherwise even powdercoat will chip right off.

I have, however, used dupli-color with great success on brake calipers...the calipers on my Trans Am looked beautiful for six years after being done with dupli-color base/clear.

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
In areas where impact resistance is a concern, Powder is better than any liquid paint. The surface MUST be media blasted and cleaned for it to last. Since it is on the outside, be sure to use a polyester, not an epoxy powder.

·
Registered
2008 Black Raven STS-V
35 Posts
You can also anodize the chrome parts black, but the downfall is the black will fade to a carbon gray over the years if subjected to year round sun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts