Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 CTS4
4,383 Posts
The headline says strike vote but the article is one of many I've read about the union trying to unionize the Ultium Cells employees. Remember, this isn't GM so the UAW doesn't automatically represent the employees of this joint venture with LG so they have to go through the whole process of signing up enough members to meet Ohio's requirements and be recognized as the union for those employees. This has been dragging on for quite some time now and clearly the UAW is trying to get some attention for the cause.

The employees who have signed up can vote on whatever they want but they can't strike until there's a union so, no, this won't affect production in the slightest. By my reckoning, the earliest there could be a strike would be in about two years - and that would be only after a successful unionizing drive and failed negotiations.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The headline says strike vote but the article is one of many I've read about the union trying to unionize the Ultium Cells employees. Remember, this isn't GM so the UAW doesn't automatically represent the employees of this joint venture with LG so they have to go through the whole process of signing up enough members to meet Ohio's requirements and be recognized as the union for those employees. This has been dragging on for quite some time now and clearly the UAW is trying to get some attention for the cause.

The employees who have signed up can vote on whatever they want but they can't strike until there's a union so, no, this won't affect production in the slightest. By my reckoning, the earliest there could be a strike would be in about two years - and that would be only after a successful unionizing drive and failed negotiations.
thank you, that was confusing to me

·
Premium Member
CTS, SRX, March 18 RWD White LYRIQ on Order
851 Posts

Good insight, thanks

·
Premium Member
2010 CTS4
4,383 Posts
Good insight, thanks
FWIW, the UAW wants to fast track the signing up process and Ultium Cells is doing what one would expect them to do - which is to move slowly and not cooperate any more than the law requires it to. For example, they are not allowing the UAW access to its facility to collect signed cards which are necessary for the UAW to apply for recognition. Instead, they have to hang out at gates and other off property sites - which is obviously less than ideal for the UAW but it's not against any law.

I've studied the car industry for decades. This stuff isn't new.

·
Premium Member
2010 CTS4
4,383 Posts
Biggest mistake was Ultium Cells locating in Lordstown. Second biggest mistake was paying less than the GM wage. Now, they will likely have to anyway but they could have avoided a union altogether. Instead, they bought a few extra months of lower wages. Regardless, we'll see how the timeline unfolds.

In comparison, Honda has three plants in Ohio and they've remained union-free for decades, mostly because they've steered clear of Eastern Ohio and compensated their employees adequately.

FWIW, I have no skin in the game and I absolutely support workers getting good wages for the work they do. I am always neutral in these discussions and have not even the slightest political view on this issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
2010 CTS4
4,383 Posts
This article is so wrong on so many counts that it hurts to read it. For example, the Lordstown Ultium plant has nothing to do with GM's former plant in that town. The UAW and the joint venture between LG and GM will continue to thrash things out but the writing is on the wall that the Ultium plant will eventually be unionized.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts