Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over in the suspension mods section, but its probably more appropriate over here:

"It's cold in Ohio, so I haven't done any measuring, but I've been investigating the possibility of utilizing Koni's road-racing strut inserts on my '89 Allante.

P/N is 8610-1149 (around $180/each). Essentially, you cut the top off your stock strut casing, then you have to fabricate mounts and bushings to fit the Koni insert into your old strut casing.

They are three-way externally adjustable for rebound.

There are three 8611-series strut inserts, that are adjustable for both rebound and compression. A little more pricey though (around $240/each). (8611-1256, 8611-1257, 8611-1258)

Allante SDD (Speed Dependent Dampening) struts have been discontinued by GM for years. Our only choice is basically Monroe Sensatracs (or equivalent)."

These may or may not work. Key issues include the dimensions of the strut housing and the stroke. Plus, both options are a little pricey, although Koni's are supposed to last close to forever.

·
Banned
701 Posts
I would be interested in learning more about this. Are the struts on the "93" the same as your "89"? I have not gotten the dreaded message on my DIC yet, but when I do get it I would be interested in your research and results.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the struts are the same. Typically, I can't find a listing for struts for a '93, but I can for 87-92 (non-SDD).

It may be because GM still sells 93 SDD struts - I don't know. There was apparently a redesign of the struts when the '92 Eldorados and Sevilles came out - perhaps the '93 Allante got those.

That's not to say the same thing wouldn't work. As long as the dimensions of the stock strut housing are large enough that the inserts will fit, then it should be "doable".

I just bought a small lathe, so I have the ability to do some pretty extensive fabrication to get it to work, although it doesn't appear to be a difficult proposition - the strut insert has a big bolt at the bottom - you drill a hole in the bottom of your housing and bolt it in. May need to add a spacer at the bottom, but that's not a big deal. Up top, you just need a spacer around the insert to keep it from rattling in the old housing - adding some means of fastening it together wouldn't hurt.

That's assuming the inserts are of the correct dimensions...

There's lots of info on Koni's site. Have to look in the road racing catalog. Some of the guys on the Taurus SHO and GP boards have done this on their front struts.

Here's some info from the GP boys...
http://www.gp-owners.com/upgrades/struts/

They're using inserts specifically designed for the SHO. I contacted Koni and they told me they wouldn't work with the Allante struts due to dimensional issues. They're significantly cheaper, so I haven't ruled using these if I have to do some fabrication. Here's what Koni said:

"I'm sorry but we do not have anything for the Allante. We do not recommend trying to utilize the inserts from the SHO as there are differences between the strut diameters that will cause issues."

"Differences in the strut diameters" to me doesn't seem like an insurmountable issue unless the inserts are too large to fit into the strut casings.

The weights of the Taurus and Allante are similar (but not exactly the same):

SHO ('91): 3459lbs distributed 63/37
Allante ('89): 3492lbs distributed 57/43

(I can't find any info on the spring rates of either car to compare.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I acquired some struts off e-bay. They're off brand, old stock. Plan on doing some measuring of the case and the stroke to see if the Koni thing is doable.

I've never heard of the company that manufactured them, but I should at least be able to get close. The only problem I can see is if the Koni stroke is shorter than these.

I'll post if I find anything useful.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW,

Looked in ACDelco's part catalog for the '93 Allante. Uses the same struts as all '93 Cadillacs, and the '94 sls and concours.
(22064515(L), 22064516(R)). They also list 22064503 (L) for Allante only (no corresponding R).

I don't know if they're still available, and/or if they are active or passive. I do know, they aren't cheap!

·
Banned
701 Posts
I think I will go with passive struts when the time comes. To be honest, I don't think I would be able to tell much difference not to mention the price difference. I am interested in your project, so keep us informed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I did some measuring last night.

Results were partially good, partially inconclusive.

The Koni 8610 struts are 330mm long, 43.5mm in diameter with a stroke (151mm) that varies from 451 total mm to 550 total mm.

Strut casings, if cut at highest point, would be about (f) 333mm and (r) 343mm. OD of strut casings are (f) 54mm for both, so unless the walls are 5mm thick, the casings should fit comfortably inside.

The potential problem is the stroke. I'm still working the numbers, but in any case, the total stroke of the Koni's will be less than that of the struts I have. That might not be a problem - without looking at the suspension, I can't tell if the entire stroke is "used" by it. In any event, it looks like 20mm too short, which isn't all that much (these same struts fit rivs and toronados, which have softer, more compliant, suspensions).

Pehaps I'll have to add some jounce rubbers to get things to work - I'll have to do some on-car measuring, and that's a subject for warmer weather.

That will also give me time to save up on the cost of the koni's (or other strut inserts).

I'm also going to see if I can get the specs on the SHO struts since they're a lot cheaper than the 8610's and designed for street use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to replace my electronic struts on my 92 Allante with after market passive struts. Can someone give me a recommendation on manufacturer and/or what years/models will work in my 92.
Thanks
Harvey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
GSXNR