Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XTS V-Sport Platinum
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 2006 STS4 today. It is nice for the most part, and priced right. The one item that I couldn't get to work was the voice button on the steering wheel. It just did nothing. I looked through all the settings I could find, but saw nothing. Can this be turned off, or is a more likely story a bad button?

Charles

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
If it has nav then it is indeed for voice command, if it doesnt have nav i believe its for onstar or just a mute button. To answer your ? though no its not a feature that is turned on or off, and either way you will be disapointed with the voice command, its pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it has nav. I just want everything to work when I buy a car...even if it sucks. Plus, I can use the fact that it doesn't work as a bargining chip. The switch must be bad. The heated steering wheel part of the switch does work, however.

Charles

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Its a rocker, the contact could be bad.
IF it did work an image or a microphone would pop up on the corner of the nav and youd hear a beep indicating the system is waiting for a voice command. If you say nothing or get the statement wrong 3 times it will say System now canceling the voice recognition.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the switches available by themselves, or do you have to replace the steering wheel? I know there is a link to a parts fiche for my 2000 STS here on the site, but I don't see one for the 2006...

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Not that I know of, the switches are replaceable, you have to get the whole left side of the switches though (with the mute and source button or GAP if the car has ACC).

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,215 Posts
Are you aware that you must press and hold it for (IIRC) 3 seconds before you'll hear the beep for voice commands? Pressing it momentarily will only mute the radio. You also need to have a nav disc installed for the voice recognition to work. There have been other threads where users indicated a nav disc appeared to work, but some functions didn't. The discovery was an incorrect disc for the vehicle. Just some things to consider...

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
21 Posts
You do want this to work. Contrary popular opinion, the VR works great for 'Phone Dial Name' & preprogrammed phone numbers as voice nametags. This button answers calls to your Bluetooth phone, too.

I do freely admit that the rest of the VR takes practice & care to work at all. It's weak at best. Since they obviously didn't have VR technology perfected, they should have designed the system so that the owner could record their own nametags. These work quite well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you aware that you must press and hold it for (IIRC) 3 seconds before you'll hear the beep for voice commands? Pressing it momentarily will only mute the radio. You also need to have a nav disc installed for the voice recognition to work. There have been other threads where users indicated a nav disc appeared to work, but some functions didn't. The discovery was an incorrect disc for the vehicle. Just some things to consider...
Not so at all.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Could be a 08+ wheel change.
On 05-07 you just press the button, no holding.
Must be a software change. This is from the '08 manual...

"(Mute/Voice Recognition): Press and release
this button to silence the vehicle speakers only.
The audio of the wireless and wired headphones, if your
vehicle has these features, does not mute. Press and
release this button again, to turn the sound on.
If your vehicle has the navigation system, press and
hold this button for longer than one second to initiate
voice recognition. See “Voice Recognition” in the
Navigation System manual for more information.
If your vehicle has OnStar®, press and hold this
button for longer than one second to interact with the
OnStar® system. If your vehicle also has the navigation
system, press and hold this button for longer than
one second to initiate voice recognition and say “OnStar”
to enter OnStar® mode. See the OnStar® System on
page 2-48 in this manual for more information."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry ddalder, I forgot you have the 2008. They changed quite a bit in giving you six toggle buttons compared to my four. I have no Mute function. Even the 2007 models with ACC need the Lockpick with the switch because there is no Steering Wheel Mute function to activate it.

For me to activate Onstar, I press a button on the mirror. (If I subscribed!)

I do wish I had Cruise Cancel and Next Preset on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Sorry ddalder, I forgot you have the 2008. They changed quite a bit in giving you six toggle buttons compared to my four. I have no Mute function. Even the 2007 models with ACC need the Lockpick with the switch because there is no Steering Wheel Mute function to activate it.

For me to activate Onstar, I press a button on the mirror. (If I subscribed!)

I do wish I had Cruise Cancel and Next Preset on the steering wheel.
My fault entirely. I completely forgot about the difference in steering wheel controls after 2007. The '08 is definitely different. I always try to look at the model year when someone posts a problem, but I overlooked it this time. I have service manuals up to 2009 so I usually look for year specific info. Many of the other cars I've worked with are much more similar between model years than the 2005-2011 STS.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, EChas3, the far left mute button on the 2006 STS4 does not work with the lockpick? As far as the voice button is concerned, I pressed the button and held the button...no difference...the radio doesn't even mute. And never a beep.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the 2007, if you have a mute button, the Lockpick works good (there are some exceptions - probably early builds.) 2005 & 2006 need the Lockpick with the switch.

2005-2007 cars w/o ACC have a Mute button and a VR button. If you have ACC, the Gap + & - uses one whole toggle button and there is no Mute. Mute looks like a speaker with an X through it. VR looks like the profile of someone talking (with lines representing their speech.)

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts
You do want this to work. Contrary popular opinion, the VR works great for 'Phone Dial Name' & preprogrammed phone numbers as voice nametags. This button answers calls to your Bluetooth phone, too.

I do freely admit that the rest of the VR takes practice & care to work at all. It's weak at best. Since they obviously didn't have VR technology perfected, they should have designed the system so that the owner could record their own nametags. These work quite well.
LOL..you are being very generous
The VR does not work as designed
Can you do some of the items( with an the upgrade) that the system was meant to do?..yes

Keyword there is "some"
The VR system on these cars is terrible...... do yourself a favor;drive ANY other make with VR and compare

This system was less than perfected..on these cars..in my mind it wasn't ready for release
Did they ever get this right?...does anyone know ..or will they have it right..ie...where is actually does the functions that they advertise it will..on the XTS?

Warren

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree it shouldn't have been released as is for the US market. The forum has a few posts from people that speak the other languages and they don't report the same trouble. At the time it was designed, the best systems had the ability sync with different voices or by recording phrases. Honestly, the only VR I need or want is dialing the phone and it does that nearly every time.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for all of your input. In checking out a potential car, what areas are especially important on these? I know what to look for on the previous generation Seville, and sure wish I could pull codes on this generation. Is it worth the money to have a dealer pull codes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your best protection when buying a used car is a buyers checkup by a trusted mechanic. My guy pulls codes as part of his checkup, but YMMV and only the best readers pull all the codes. I think I paid less than $100 for him to 'bless' my purchase.

The CTS forum of this site used to be frequented by people who would run a GM VIN Report. I found that more informative than Carfax but as cars leave the warranty period, less service is performed by dealers and is therefore not in those reports.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts