Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost 50 and looking at getting a more grown up car. A little about me for context, i have owned GT500s, C7 Vets, 370zs and also trucks such as the Ford Raptor.
As far as luxury cars they were sporty also such as the G37 (okay maybe not that one) and the RCF (not the Sport the full F).

Okay that is the context. I am looking for something that is more suit and brief case. Frankly i don't want to cough up the money for a new Audi A7 (might have been my first choice) or to pay the "new car depreciation" tax ANYWHERE in the luxury market. Eating 5k to 8k on a mustang in depreciation is one thing, eating $30k to $50k in the higher segments is quite another (That RCF was a lexus corporate car bought used also)

Here is where i need your help.

I found two deals I like.

1) Deal one. Lightly used GM program car: 2019 Less than 10k never titled in customers name so technically new. CTS V Sport in black
2) Deal two: CT6 Limited. White with Tan interior. 2016. 20k miles.

If i buy the cpo warranty on the 2016, the above two vehicles cost the exact same amount.

They are very different animals and I like them both. Coming from sporty cars the V sport is a more natural transition, but I am very tempted to go all in on the luxury of the CT6 for those long trips or when I want to impress. Many of you will say looking at my past cars get the V sport but I am wondering if i am done with being a hooligan and doing things that are likely to land you in jail, at my age spending a night in jail for going 120 sounds less fun than it once did and staying away from the V sport might help with my temptations.

Just some thoughts of mine, i want to hear from you on the above two cars.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,150 Posts
Welcome to the Funny Farm !!!

As with all automobiles neither of your choices is without its warts. Get into the forums for those cars and do some snooping. It's all there, as both models have quite a following in here.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
317 Posts
Really interesting post. There are a couple ways to go about this.

My immediate instinct is to say hey, you've had plenty of sporty cars, lots of different varieties of sporty cars, and though the CTS VSport is an excellent car, its undeniably sporty...I think you're ready for a more...premium experience (should have gone into sales haha). Coming up on 50 years young, you may find that this is the perfect time in your life to swing the pendulum away from luxury sport, and over to dedicated luxury. But that'll always be your call.

Beyond that, I'd say you would definitely be in the market for a solid CT6. However...I would not go with the 2016 CT6 you found with 20k miles. Why? The 8-Speed transmission has been well known to have issues. Hard shifts, lurching, clunks, the whole deal. This was the case across the GM range, Silverado, Camaro, CT6, Yukon, you name it, if it had the 8 speed, it was likely to have issues, even if not certain to have issues. Because I don't pretend to be the wizard of the GM 8 speed issues, here's an article from GM Authority. The writers there know GM inside and out - it's a very accurate, yet basic account of the 8 speed.

GM Authority 8 Speed Transmission - 10 Speed Replacement

Despite that, however, I don't think you need to run away entirely. In 2019, the CT6 got the new 10 speed automatic tranny that GM jointly developed with Ford (you'll see this in the link above), and the near unanimous consensus is that the 10 speed is vastly superior to the 8 speed in not only every performance metric, but in build quality as well. Additionally, the 2019 CT6 got the next generation (and also vastly superior) CUE infotainment system, which is so far improved from the old craptastic units that its not even funny. Put together the great new tranny with the new infotainment setup, and the two glaring CT6 issues are remedied.

After a little basic price-comparing, I've found that the fair market price on the CPO 2019 CTS VSport you found (assuming it's the straight VSport, and not the VSport Premium Luxury) with about 9k miles is between $42,500 and $48,500. This is without knowledge of options and all that, so it's strictly ballpark. However, you could also get yourself into a CPO 2019 CT6 3.6 Luxury for between $44,300 and $49,000 fair market value, total ballpark estimate. That being said, if I were you, I would definitely consider the 2019 CT6 3.6 Luxury if I were you, as you'll be getting all the crucial 2019 updates, while still staying close in (ballpark!!) value to the CTS VSport. Plus, the CT6 Luxury trim is very well-equipped, and I believe is AWD.

While the CT6 will definitely feel bigger and more luxurious than the CTS (it is on both counts), the CT6 has always had high praise for being the preferred driver's car in it's class. So you can still have a blast tossing the thing around corners for when you miss the sports car dynamics. The Comfort mode is very smooth and luxurious, while Sport mode tightens things up for sime fun.

So that's just my two cents (maybe more, long post after all). Either way, I'd definitely head over to CTS and CT6 forums to gather up lots of helpful info. Make sure you report back here during the process, we'll be interested to hear which path you take!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really interesting post. There are a couple ways to go about this.

My immediate instinct is to say hey, you've had plenty of sporty cars, lots of different varieties of sporty cars, and though the CTS VSport is an excellent car, its undeniably sporty...I think you're ready for a more...premium experience (should have gone into sales haha). Coming up on 50 years young, you may find that this is the perfect time in your life to swing the pendulum away from luxury sport, and over to dedicated luxury. But that'll always be your call.

Beyond that, I'd say you would definitely be in the market for a solid CT6. However...I would not go with the 2016 CT6 you found with 20k miles. Why? The 8-Speed transmission has been well known to have issues. Hard shifts, lurching, clunks, the whole deal. This was the case across the GM range, Silverado, Camaro, CT6, Yukon, you name it, if it had the 8 speed, it was likely to have issues, even if not certain to have issues. Because I don't pretend to be the wizard of the GM 8 speed issues, here's an article from GM Authority. The writers there know GM inside and out - it's a very accurate, yet basic account of the 8 speed.

GM Authority 8 Speed Transmission - 10 Speed Replacement

Despite that, however, I don't think you need to run away entirely. In 2019, the CT6 got the new 10 speed automatic tranny that GM jointly developed with Ford (you'll see this in the link above), and the near unanimous consensus is that the 10 speed is vastly superior to the 8 speed in not only every performance metric, but in build quality as well. Additionally, the 2019 CT6 got the next generation (and also vastly superior) CUE infotainment system, which is so far improved from the old craptastic units that its not even funny. Put together the great new tranny with the new infotainment setup, and the two glaring CT6 issues are remedied.

After a little basic price-comparing, I've found that the fair market price on the CPO 2019 CTS VSport you found (assuming it's the straight VSport, and not the VSport Premium Luxury) with about 9k miles is between $42,500 and $48,500. This is without knowledge of options and all that, so it's strictly ballpark. However, you could also get yourself into a CPO 2019 CT6 3.6 Luxury for between $44,300 and $49,000 fair market value, total ballpark estimate. That being said, if I were you, I would definitely consider the 2019 CT6 3.6 Luxury if I were you, as you'll be getting all the crucial 2019 updates, while still staying close in (ballpark!!) value to the CTS VSport. Plus, the CT6 Luxury trim is very well-equipped, and I believe is AWD.

While the CT6 will definitely feel bigger and more luxurious than the CTS (it is on both counts), the CT6 has always had high praise for being the preferred driver's car in it's class. So you can still have a blast tossing the thing around corners for when you miss the sports car dynamics. The Comfort mode is very smooth and luxurious, while Sport mode tightens things up for sime fun.

So that's just my two cents (maybe more, long post after all). Either way, I'd definitely head over to CTS and CT6 forums to gather up lots of helpful info. Make sure you report back here during the process, we'll be interested to hear which path you take!
I can get a 2019 ct6 Sport version that is also a GM Corporate car (I think some of these might be review/press cars) that has the super cruise, 34 Speaker bose, rear entertainment system with only 2,000 miles, but the price of admission for that is an additional 18k and that not very attractive red color, though it is still 24k off the MSRP and even with negative trade value i would only be borrowing 70k on it, which isn't a steal considering i have seen some models with as much as 12k off.....but none with those options or in a color i would prefer.

Still.... that deal for under 70k with my negative trade value to boot would give me a very nice road trip car.

My daily driver is a Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 .

·
Registered
317 Posts
An addit
I can get a 2019 ct6 Sport version that is also a GM Corporate car (I think some of these might be review/press cars) that has the super cruise, 34 Speaker bose, rear entertainment system with only 2,000 miles, but the price of admission for that is an additional 18k and that not very attractive red color, though it is still 24k off the MSRP and even with negative trade value i would only be borrowing 70k on it, which isn't a steal considering i have seen some models with as much as 12k off.....but none with those options or in a color i would prefer.

Still.... that deal for under 70k with my negative trade value to boot would give me a very nice road trip car.

My daily driver is a Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 .
An additional $18k over the 3.6 Luxury? That's an interesting deal. The fact that it comes with Super Cruise and has only got 2k miles is what got me. What is their asking price, just for context? And how important is it for you to have Super Cruise? I assume your Ranger Lariat isn't your trade-in car, too.

Report back with more details about the particular car and the offer, that'll help with a little comparing and contrasting to see what is the best deal for you with the options you want. What options are most important to you, anyway?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An addit

An additional $18k over the 3.6 Luxury? That's an interesting deal. The fact that it comes with Super Cruise and has only got 2k miles is what got me. What is their asking price, just for context? And how important is it for you to have Super Cruise? I assume your Ranger Lariat isn't your trade-in car, too.

Report back with more details about the particular car and the offer, that'll help with a little comparing and contrasting to see what is the best deal for you with the options you want. What options are most important to you, anyway?
Around $63k. I found an 18 with the super cruise that is a dealer demo its a premium luxury that is only $57,500 might be the cheapest way into super cruise. I tried it out today and it was awesome. Better color combo as well.

For anyone looking. I also found a never titled ATS V 18 for like 43k with very little miles on it. These are all GM coporate cars (supposedly) or dealer demos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the Funny Farm !!!

As with all automobiles neither of your choices is without its warts. Get into the forums for those cars and do some snooping. It's all there, as both models have quite a following in here.
I can't get into the Ct6 forum to either read up OR ask questions. I have no priviledge evidently.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Both of you - just click on that heading "Cadillac CT6 1st Generation Forum" - that's the link to CT6 forums.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Also Allenfrx, that sounds like a solid deal on the 18 Premium Lux with super cruise. I see super cruise is a must for you, and I don't blame you, it's an amazing system. Just make sure you get into CT6 forums (see my post above this one) and do all your homework, especially on that 8 speed, as the 18's all had the 8 speed tranny. Good luck! The guys in CT6 forums will be a major resource for you.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,357 Posts
Certainly test drive any car with the 8 speed. In the CT6 it's the 8L45E, whereas the trucks (I believe) got the 8L90E. My Silverado has the 8L90E and it has had nowhere near any of the issues I've certainly read about. Shifting is smooth, precise, and well timed. The 1-2 shift can be a bit crisp at times, though I think the valve body bolts could use a retorqueing (will do that at my next trans service in 16k miles). They're not all good, but they're not all bad.

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
467 Posts
Wouldn't buy anything with that 8-speed. Mine's ok (2016 ATS) after several interventions but still not good, I've driven 2017-18 CTS that were near perfect, and the worst one of the bunch was a 2019 CTS that was so harsh I wouldn't have bought a Cadillac if that was the one I test drove prior to purchase. Too inconsistent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts