Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm a current owner of a hummer H3, pretty active member in their forums but I'm ready to get a more family sized suv.
I have my eyes on a 2006 Escalade ESV platinum edition with 111,000 miles. They're asking 16,995 for it. I'll provide a link to the listing.

Does that seem fair? Are there any specific problems I should look for on this vehicle? Any input on this vehicle would be highly appreciated.
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=45150&endYear=2016&engineCode=8CLDR&transmissionCode=AUT&doorCode=4&transmissionCodes=AUT&maxPrice=19000&showcaseListingId=386338781&pricesOnly=true&doorCodes=4&vehicleStyleCodes=AWD4WD,SUVCROSS&photosOnlyActual=true&showcaseOwnerId=73938&startYear=2006&engineCodes=8CLDR&firstRecord=26&maxMileage=150000&searchRadius=25&minPrice=4000&listingId=391594287&Log=0

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I would definitely ask to test drive it first before making a decision on getting it
Now during the test drive make sure everything works(work all of the controls front and rear)

Check under the truck for any leaks(shouldn't have any)
Check the air bladders for tears or for holes(blow outs) that can lead to compressor failure
Listen for any noises(moans, popping noises etc)
Do a walk around the truck(day time) and check for any scratches, dents or rust(rust belt)and check that all lights work
Any messages in the dic(drivers information center)
Normal wear is ok(the seats will show wear even on a later model truck)

----------

I looked at the listing and that is a 06 esv with the platinum package and is worth more then a base esv or base escalade

It will be a nice step up from the h3(love the hummers as my dad has a 03 h2 with the luxury package)

I have a extensive knowledge on these trucks and can help out with pretty much anything (audio, wiring etc)

Also if anything messages(service ride control, service air bag) are on the dic use that as leverage to get them to lower the price(I did on my 03 and they knocked 500 off the price)
It may not seem like much but it helps

·
Registered
05 ESV Platinum
161 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm a current owner of a hummer H3, pretty active member in their forums but I'm ready to get a more family sized suv.
I have my eyes on a 2006 Escalade ESV platinum edition with 111,000 miles. They're asking 16,995 for it. I'll provide a link to the listing.

Does that seem fair? Are there any specific problems I should look for on this vehicle? Any input on this vehicle would be highly appreciated.
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=45150&endYear=2016&engineCode=8CLDR&transmissionCode=AUT&doorCode=4&transmissionCodes=AUT&maxPrice=19000&showcaseListingId=386338781&pricesOnly=true&doorCodes=4&vehicleStyleCodes=AWD4WD%2CSUVCROSS&photosOnlyActual=true&showcaseOwnerId=73938&startYear=2006&engineCodes=8CLDR&firstRecord=26&maxMileage=150000&searchRadius=25&minPrice=4000&listingId=391594287&Log=0
Could be a fair price if everything is working properly. Rear shocks and compressor are easy things to catch if you know what to look for, and if are bad can help lower cost. For comparison my 05 esv plat with 148k miles ran just under 14k. Could have negotiated lower if i knew how to spot bad suspension. There was no dic message so dont assume problem doesnt exist with no message. Follow CaddyMans advice and drive it of course. Hope its a gem and works out for you!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Jrader has a point
Also the air ride compressor can sometimes not trigger the service ride control but will still not work
It should normally kick on when the truck is started if it doesn't then it's bad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, awesome information! I can already tell this is an awesome forum. I'm going to view it today, I hope I can become a Cadillac owner!
Thanks all

·
Registered
'76 Coupe Deville, '06 Escalade esv platinum
8 Posts
Hi there, just throwing my 2 cents in. I also have an '06 Escalade esv platinum. Paid 13.5$ with 137,000 on it. In the year and a half I've owned it I've replaced a water pump, starter, front hub bearing, had a rebuilt trans put in as I guess these trucks have trans issues. Also have replaced rear brakes twice. Caliper issue maybe on 1 side. Also went full synthetic on all the oils. Ride is kinda rough like a truck and never hear compressor turn on so thinking that might need replacing with rear shocks. I need to fix rear wiper and defrost as they stopped working. Lock linkage on driver's door came off, buy new tires for it and replace some front end parts. That being said, I love my Candi and hope to get alot of miles out of her. I usually always go with my first instinct, if it looks to good to be true it probably is. Good luck.foxes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Twinkillac,

Sure sounds like a lot of maintenance. I'd hate to fork out that much for replacements when my H3 has been trouble free for 9 years.
I'll have this thread open and run through all the things listed. Again I appreciate the wealth of info, this will save me from buying a busted-up escalade. More to come

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Twinkillac
Did you change the fluid and filter on your tranny before you had it replaced?

I had mine changed and have had no problems with my tranny from it

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Cadillac man, read lots of your posts. Still a newbie on forums and using my phone for internet. No I figured it was to late to try that. I lost 2nd and third gears it seemed and with overdrive off it was worse. Took it to reputable trans shop and he said same thing. Was not a cheap fix for sure. Dude told me with these Caddys that from Gm they dial down the shift pressures for a smoother shift. Researched alot and seems to not happen with Gm's other trucks as much. Oh forgot to mention to op that I also replaced headlight bulb, not cheap, Sboulda researched that more. Also lost center cap for rim and corner of roof rack. Still looking for replacements.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Twinkillac said:
The Cadillac man, read lots of your posts. Still a newbie on forums and using my phone for internet. No I figured it was to late to try that. I lost 2nd and third gears it seemed and with overdrive off it was worse. Took it to reputable trans shop and he said same thing. Was not a cheap fix for sure. Dude told me with these Caddys that from Gm they dial down the shift pressures for a smoother shift. Researched alot and seems to not happen with Gm's other trucks as much. Oh forgot to mention to op that I also replaced headlight bulb, not cheap, Sboulda researched that more. Also lost center cap for rim and corner of roof rack. Still looking for replacements.
Ah no problem
I feel for you as I know it's not cheap to have any tranny work
Now if the shift pressures have anything to do with it I doubt it as my truck has 201,000 miles and hasn't had to have the tranny replaced(just fluid and filter)
I do know it's learns your driving style so that has a lot to do with it(my truck shifts smooth but when needed it will shift firm)
Next time you need bulbs get the Kensun bulbs from Amazon (50 bucks a set) I am on my second set in four years and they work great
If you look on here I recently posted a link on Amazon for some nice replacement caps for the stock rims(mine is 17's)
The roof rack part could be found from a salvage yard and should be cheap

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright just a quick update:
I arrived late to the dealer so I was unable to get much information on the vehicle (mechanics weren't there and salesmen was clueless). I did a Walk around of the vehicle and the only serious issue I noticed on the paint was a 2 inch-wide circle of bubbled paint near the rear windshield wiper arm. Looked like corrosion from the underside of the paint.

I plan to view the vehicle again on Monday, and speak with the mechanics regarding the things you've all listed, and a in depth maintenance history of this vehicle.

From what I gathered, I need to inspect:
Transmission, Shocks/compressor, Water pump, Hubs.

I'm really hoping to get it for around 14,500 or 15,000. Seems like you can typically shave off 10-15% from the price.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
I bought an 06 ESV for $12.9K with 129K in miles in Nov 2014. Runs solid, but have already replaced the airbag main connector. Had moisture in it and would get a service air bag warning light. So had to get the new connectors soldered in at the dealership. Then took it on a 1200 mile round trip. Drove great, but then noticed it was leaking oil. Had to have the oil cooler lines replaced. So 2 repairs in 2 months. I feel I got such a good price on it that it I don't mind spending $1K a year in repairs. Also has an intermittent bad left drivers side tire pressure monitor sensor that needs replacing. But that can wait, just clear it out with the info button on the steering wheel. The steering wheel control lights are mostly burned out, but all function fine. Other than that it's awesome. My wife is the primary driver. So unless we go on a road trip, it will just tool around town. Everything else works on it perfectly. Had the dealership give it a full inspection and no issues. It's got 20in chrome rims with the Diamond White color. She gets tons of compliments. I also put in a Pioneer AVIC-6000NEX Nav radio in it with a back up camera, so she is all set. We love our new Escalade. Just want to get another 50-70K out of it or more, then time for something newer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Norinco, the only thing I'm really pissed about was the trans. Didn't expect to fork out so much cash to get that replaced so soon. All the other stuff I fixed myself and on any vehicle your going to have to fix things sooner or later. Yes my truck has issues but wouldn't give it up, I love her. Also you could take that Esky to your own mechanic and have it thoroughly gone over. Most dealers would let u take it to have own inspection. Cadillac man, I've seen your posts on center cap, just havnt gotten around to getting it. Been researching the rear shocks and compressor and trying to find info on that. Would like to keep it stock and not go with passive shocks.

·
Registered
05 ESV Platinum
161 Posts
Alright just a quick update:
I arrived late to the dealer so I was unable to get much information on the vehicle (mechanics weren't there and salesmen was clueless). I did a Walk around of the vehicle and the only serious issue I noticed on the paint was a 2 inch-wide circle of bubbled paint near the rear windshield wiper arm. Looked like corrosion from the underside of the paint.

I plan to view the vehicle again on Monday, and speak with the mechanics regarding the things you've all listed, and a in depth maintenance history of this vehicle.

From what I gathered, I need to inspect:
Transmission, Shocks/compressor, Water pump, Hubs.

I'm really hoping to get it for around 14,500 or 15,000. Seems like you can typically shave off 10-15% from the price.
My rear windshield wiper has some paint gone as well, but minor cosmetics like that are nothing when youre looking at 8-10 year old vehicle. Drivetrain, suspension, steering components, etc....are going to be your big expenses if bad. Interior and exterior minor damages can be fixed fairly cheap (within reason). Expect some of these things in an older used vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello All,

So after a few test drives we came across new issues.
1. When accelerating/putting a load on the motor the oil pressure gauge would completely bottom out to 0, and as soon as we'd let off the gas the gauge would flicker from 0-40 psi. Then the Low oil warning would show on the display. They told us today its the oil sending unit?
2. The vehicle pulls slightly to the light, it's barely noticeable but you can feel it in the steering wheel and it requires constantly holding the wheel slightly to the left to stay straight. They said they'd give it an alignment, but the vehicle has no wreck history?
3. They can fix the bubbling paint, but the sales manager will take no less than $16,995. This seems steep for a 10 yr old vehicle, 110k miles and a few issues.
4. It had a oil cooler return line leak, they said they fixed it but we still noticed oil around the oil pan?

Regardless, I still loved test driving the Escalade ESV. Much bigger and smoother than the H3, with many more features. If all problems are resolved I'd buy it for 15.5-16k

----------

Here's my current ride. I love the thing, but it's small for a family of 5.
[URL=http://s26.photobucket.com/user/norinco3264/media/IMAG1764.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
The leaking oil cooler lines make a mess, as the oil drips near the fan and can spray around. So that might be residual if they didn't clean it up after replacing. The oil sending unit sounds worrisome, but if they fix it and the pressure normalizes under load then I guess you maybe okay along with your alignment. I would recommend taking it to an independent mechanic and have him check it. I would also check to make sure all the buttons work in the interior along with the HVAC system. Like I said. Bought my 06 with 130K for $13K, and already had a couple of issues. Runs great otherwise and we love the luxury. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another update folks!

The cooler line no longer leaks, The wheel alignment fixed the slight drift to the right, and the oil sending unit has been replaced. They said the sending unit is a common problem, and when I took it on a long test drive it was perfect. All gauges work fine.
The reverse parking sensors do not operate: The parking sensor button was on/illuminated but when i backed up to a wall i heard no audio or visual feedback.
Also about 50% of the steering wheel lights no longer light up. Other than that, everything checks out fine. Tomorrow I will negotiate a price.

What do you think of this compressor noise? Is this how it's supposed to sound? I recorded this today;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKT15ZnYbJQ

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
Yes that how my compressor sounds on my 06 ESV. Also on the backup sensors, do you mean that the push button on the dash by the radio is illuminated? If so, that means that it's disabled. Push it again so the light goes out, and the reverse sensors should function. Truck sounded strong when you fired her up!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
The compressor sounds normal as mine sounds like that after start up

The little light next to the park sensor button means the system is off
If the light is off and the truck is in reverse then they should work
If not then the red led in the rear display will blink to signal a trouble code when the truck is in reverse

1 - 20 of 35 Posts