Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I am a little surprised about the lack of response on my mileage post . I think it is significant that by putting bigger rims on a car your odometer will no longer give a valid mileage. If one of us were to buy a used car with aftermarket rims on the car and the car had 40000 miles , when in all reality depending on the size of the rims you could be getting a car with as low as 44000 or as much as 48000 with 20" rims. Buy wisely . Rich

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your speedo would be off as well - so in order to correct that you'd edit the ECU with the corrective factor, which in turn would correct the odometer.

P

·
Registered
111 Posts
rich9426 said:
Hey guys , I am a little surprised about the lack of response on my mileage post . I think it is significant that by putting bigger rims on a car your odometer will no longer give a valid mileage. If one of us were to buy a used car with aftermarket rims on the car and the car had 40000 miles , when in all reality depending on the size of the rims you could be getting a car with as low as 44000 or as much as 48000 with 20" rims. Buy wisely . Rich
Its not just the size of the rims, its how you use them. :histeric:
Seriously though, you can go with a low profile tire on a 20" rim and have the same wheel circumference as a taller tire on an 18" wheel. As long as they did the math correctly when resizing, there wouldn't be any issues.
-Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts