Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone who gave me advise on the HEI conversion I was considering a while back. I finally did it and was amazed at how easy it really is to change out a distributor. I even was able to figure out the timing and get it all aligned so that it runs smooth with limited knowledge I had from this site and from watching other dudes adjust my timing before. And the thoing runs beuatifully...when I warm it up all the way and advance the timing; In the process of changing out the distributor I further stripped an already stripped stud and bolt. My question is, does the stud the distributor clamp bolts on to, pull out of the block...or am I up s%#! creek.
I'm pretty sure it pulls out...so I was basically wondering what is the best way to pull it out. Right now I have it bolted down just enough so that it doesn't come flying apart....I constantly have to pull over and adjust the thing. I'm glad I don't have a hot wire to the coil anymore. That would suck.

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Glad to hear your conversion went well.

I had this same problem. I simply got out the dremel, cut me a nice slit in the top, and backed it out with a flat head. I'm sure there are more "professional" ways to do it though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an awesome idea. I'm not going to jump right to it, however, because last time I jumped to pulling out a stuck part in this car, I broke the stud off a steering wheel puller in the column, and that was with the correct tools. Any other suggestions...do stud pullers work as well as dremeling the top of the stud and using a screw driver?

·
Registered
1968 Deville Convertible
99 Posts
Put two nuts on the bolt so that they touch and then use the bottom nut to back out the block from the block. Unless the bokt is hella stripped, it should work.

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Colt D said:
Put two nuts on the bolt so that they touch and then use the bottom nut to back out the block from the block. Unless the bokt is hella stripped, it should work.
See, that's what I mean by a "more professional way" lol ;)

·
Registered
1969 Cadillac, 1960 Cadillac
7 Posts
i have a craftsman stud remover that attaches to a socket wrench that pulled mine out easy, i ended up replacing my holddown with a billet piece thats held in by a ss hex bolt so i dont have to worry about it again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts