Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Looks clean. Rod knocking probably means the motor is toast, or needs to be rebuilt. If you have a pick-n-pull yard local, you could yank an engine and throw it in. Also some affordable used/rebuilt engine sellers online. As long as you don't mind the work, you could have an extra nice car for very cheap. Or pay other people to do it and have an extra nice car kinda cheap.

·
Registered
91 brougham
77 Posts
I have a 91 thats better than that one. I put a new GM crate motor in it years back. It came with a 305 Chevrolet and I replaced it with a 350. The cost was $1500 and has been trouble free for years and I only run Mobil 1 in it. It also had a one year warranty with it. I did the same with the transmission and bought it directly through GM. I use it only for road trips and have replaced about every mechanical part on it that you can think of. When I figure out how to load pics online I'm going to sell it for $5500.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the ad the engine has never been overheated , so Im hoping engine will be rebuildable. Im still waiting for a picture of the engine so Im positive its a Chevrolet engine.

Hope I can make this deal happen it looks like a nice car.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its looking like this deal may happen, darn towing prices are crazy, supposed too call the person after 6 to make arrangements.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I hope it works out well for you! I have heard of people changing to a thicker oil, and the knock goes away and they drive for years. Definitely not the norm, but maybe you'll be one of the lucky few? Either way, that ride looks nice.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope it works out well for you! I have heard of people changing to a thicker oil, and the knock goes away and they drive for years. Definitely not the norm, but maybe you'll be one of the lucky few? Either way, that ride looks nice.
If the car is as nice as in the pics I will fix it properly.

I once had a rough 87 brougham that knocked, I took the oil pan off and polished the crank as best I could, new rod bearings and drove the car over 5 years. But like I say the car was a little rough.

Parts are still reasonable for the 350 chevy engine, I don't think it would be worth spending time on any temporary fix.

Im kinda of excited!

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
You don't have a truck or a friend with a truck? You can rent a uhaul trailer for the day for $55 around here. I will travel 3-400 miles to buy a car but not much farther.

It sounds like this car just needs a new/rebuilt crank and bearings.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't have a truck or a friend with a truck? You can rent a uhaul trailer for the day for $55 around here. I will travel 3-400 miles to buy a car but not much farther.

It sounds like this car just needs a new/rebuilt crank and bearings.
My truck is all apart, and calling on friends can be a hassle.

Anyway the owner said they parked the car as soon as they herd the knock, so the engine may be rebuildable.

Everything is set up and unless something happens the car should be here tomarrow.

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
Yes, do it! Being a 350 Lac, its only logical to make this your reliable, bulletproof Cadillac for decades. It's in good shape. Even if the 350 was crap, a new one is a cheaper option than a full rebuild. Now, add vorteC heads and intake for the TBI, and tell us about it. Hopefully you own this beauty.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did manage to get her home! And after putting a battery in it its started right up, but the engine will definitely have to be disassembled. It does move forward and backwards.

The interior is really very nice, the radio <and antenna> work the dash and trim look as new, and the door panels all look as new. The seats have some very minor scuffing/finish wear, but no cuts or seams coming apart.

The chrome on both bumpers are near perfect, as well as the chrome trim on the window frames. The top is ok but shrunk up on one corner, don't lknow if that's "patchable". The paint is not very good at all.

3 tires are like new and one is worn, I think the RF may have a bad ball joint, hope I can find the same tire.

Over all Im pretty thrilled and think its going to be a jam up car for less than 3K.

I absolutely love the white with dark blue interior.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm glad you got it. It won't take too long to make it look great. More importantly, you have several engine options ahead of you that mean you could do it inexpensively and have a great ride, or put every penny in it and have an even better ride. PLEASE keep us informed about what you're doing with it!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies fellers.

Im somewhat reasonabley sure the engine is rebuildable, an I will kep as close to stock as possible, .010 pistons etc.

I took the cover off the steering wheel and the leather is in perfect condition, no shrinkage cuts tears, just the finish is worn. Its the same color as my other 90 and I still have pleanty of dye left. The steering wheel on it turned out real nice, but there is some shrinkage.

It needs floor mats and I may have a set.

Other than that the interior is really nice, all the chrome accents and wood grain on the dash are like new. The door panels and window switches all look as new.

The exterior will need paint to be prestine. The top is sort but has some shrinkage on one of the corners so Im not sure if what to do about that.
The Bumpers front and rear look as new, as well as the mirrors, door handles, and chrome on the window frames. The 1" chrome strips that go on the body have fading, theres been a few threads about them but has anyone been able to make them look new? Hubcaps are super nice, not new but really nice. All the lenses look in real nice condition also. And do need the bumper fillers.

Ive been dreaming of a low mileage super clean 90 to 92 Brougham, but there nearly impossible to find local, so we will see how this one turns out.

I figure around 250 hours of my labor and less than 3000$ I will have pretty much satisfied my car collection dreams.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts