Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Seville STS & 1991 Sedan Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 Cadillac sts 4.9. a few years ago had some gurgling from overflow tank, everytime I shut it off. Seemed to have an exhaust smell in tank. So I purchased the gasket set and put some radiator flush in just to flush it out before doing the repairs. The problem cleared up the next day. Now 2 years later it has came back with a vengeance. Same gurgling in the over flow, no heat and lots of pressure when removing the cap. Cant block test it because with cap off and it running coolant just spurts out of the radiator. Radiator was cracked, a water pump bolt was loose and had a small leak. Fixed all today flushed out block, new thermostat, radiator, hose clamps, and filled with coolant. Ran fine tempature was normal so I drove it 2 miles, tempature rose fast and I parked and and tried to release lever on cap and the overflow tank shutoff from pressure.

At my wits end as I have a small fortune sunk into this car. I do all the work myself but still. Everyone says its not head gaskets but tis is classic symptoms to me. Is there something else it could possibly be??? Also is there some kind of snake oil I could use to fix it until I can get another car? I don't believe in a mechanic in a bottle but if something works just to get me until I fix my Camaro I can deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Classic HG symptoms.

If it is gurgling after you shut it down, it's probably gurgling while it's running. That is exhaust gases escaping the cooling system.

·
Registered
1992 Seville STS & 1991 Sedan Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that's what I am assuming, I put a lower lb pressure cap on it and now it runs steady at 185, still gurgles a little on shutoff and yes probably while running, and I have heat but I do realize its time to move on. Do you think its worth doing head gaskets on this? My fear is I do it and I have a cracked block, etc.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Unless you have had water in the cooling system and it froze, chances of a cracked block are relatively slim. Whether or not a HG repair is "worth it" is up to you and would depend greatly on the condition of the car and the cost of the repair (having it done or doing it yourself).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts