Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS(Pluto)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this issue has been hit a few times before, i have read up on what others have said. Unfortunately I have called the dealer and gave them my VIN and I think I am out of the 5/100K powertrain warranty. I bought my CTS used and i thought the noise was coming from the tires. I'm in the process of getting staggered 20's put on but I think I need to get this issue fixed first. Seems like this will be very costly coming from Cadillac since its not under warranty anymore. I am guessing it maybe the driver side bearing that the noise comes from because when i curve to the right the ride is quiet. For a diagnosis its $80, then for one replacement Cadillac told me over $400. Could anyone give me some advice or feedback.....don't want to put rims on and still have this irritating noise. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2008 CTS(Pluto)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anybody has had this same issue, I found new HUB and bearing on gmpartsdirect.com for $137.33.....has anyone gone this route? If so what would be an estimate on labor?

·
Registered
CTS4
600 Posts
Unless you know a mechanic most won't take a part from you and install it. If they do they'll charge you more than labor.

Most places not only make money installing items, they make money getting that part for you.

·
Registered
2008 CTS(Pluto)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I'll end up spending close to a grand....sometings gotta give!

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4
394 Posts
If you want people to assist with your diagnosis, you need to be much more specific about the noise conditions. I thought for sure I had a bad wheel bearing on my right front of my CTS. Enough that my dealer replaced the wheel bearing with no further investigation based on my description of the noise. Funny thing was, they rotated my tires and the noise appeared at the back left of my car. My car had something going on with the alignment, it feathered/cupped the tires making them sound like a lifted 4x4 with off road tires driving down the road. New tires solved the problem, though after some time I expected the noises to return. Ultimately I traded the POS in to get rid of all the BS problems.

·
Registered
2008 CTS(Pluto)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want people to assist with your diagnosis, you need to be much more specific about the noise conditions. I thought for sure I had a bad wheel bearing on my right front of my CTS. Enough that my dealer replaced the wheel bearing with no further investigation based on my description of the noise. Funny thing was, they rotated my tires and the noise appeared at the back left of my car. My car had something going on with the alignment, it feathered/cupped the tires making them sound like a lifted 4x4 with off road tires driving down the road. New tires solved the problem, though after some time I expected the noises to return. Ultimately I traded the POS in to get rid of all the BS problems.
Ok.....I have an 08 RWD with 65K on it, the tires are not brand new but tread is still deep. When I get over 20MPH is when I notice my smooth silent ride turning into an off-road expedition. It seems like the noise is coming from only up front. No steering issues or shaking/vibrating steering wheel. While driving thenoise goes away if I am taking a slight curve to the right but sound remains in forward and left directions. I can turn up the radio over the sound, but all in all this is a cadillac and it shouldn't sound this way. I want to correct this issue before I put aftermarket wheels on.

·
Registered
2008 CTS(Pluto)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would, but don't really have much time or experience workin on cadillacs. I work more on electronics...

12,821 Posts
Pluto, I'm sorry to hear about your frustration! While I don't have access to much DIY information, I'm happy to double check your existing warranty information for you. Please feel free to email me anytime at [email protected] for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4
394 Posts
Ok.....I have an 08 RWD with 65K on it, the tires are not brand new but tread is still deep. When I get over 20MPH is when I notice my smooth silent ride turning into an off-road expedition. It seems like the noise is coming from only up front. No steering issues or shaking/vibrating steering wheel. While driving thenoise goes away if I am taking a slight curve to the right but sound remains in forward and left directions. I can turn up the radio over the sound, but all in all this is a cadillac and it shouldn't sound this way. I want to correct this issue before I put aftermarket wheels on.
I can't remember if curves affected my noise, but otherwise your description was consistent with the noise my car made. My tires only had 30k miles on them when I replaced them, there was plenty of life left in them.

If you are not hearing the noise at other corners, consider swapping tires to see if the noise follows the tire, or if it stays with the corner.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sedan RWD Radiant Silver|Ebony
231 Posts
Most but not all times raising a wheel off the ground and spinning the wheel while listening to the bearing will tell you if its bad. Remember to not confuse pad drag on rotor as trouble. I usually pull the wheel and abutment bracket and if necessary listen to bearing with stethoscope.

·
Registered
2008 CTS(Pluto)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try a wheel swap to see what happens.....since this was used vehicle I'm not sure if the bearings where changed out before. I really appreciate all the feedback, this forum has a lot of answers.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
If it's a bearing issue, moveing or changing wheels and tires will not affect it. A noisey bearing will usually cause significant wear and cause play in the bearings. Jack up each front corner. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 and rock it in and out at the top and bottom. If you can feel any movement (play), you have a problem. Now you just have to determine if it's bearings or a ball joint. If the movement is noticable you can usually tell if it feels centered around the wheel attachment point or if it's moving elsewhere. Once you've located the source of the movement, replace parts as needed.

If yours is RWD, this is a faily easy job. AWD is a little more difficult, but not much. I can't see front hubs on a RWD takign more than about 1 hour each to swap for the ameture or 1 hour total for a pro. Even if you have to go buy a few new tools and maybe a service manual, you'll still be money ahead doing it yourself.

·
Registered
2008 CTS(Pluto)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With all the feedback I'm getting it seems kind of mixed so I will try rotating the tires first and also checking for any play b4 I just jump into replacing the bearings.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,262 Posts
Always do the simple diagnostics first. As those go by the wayside then you have to delve deeper into the problem. Keep it as simple as you can!

·
Registered
2008 cts
4 Posts
I have a noise coming from my rear passenger side,a hum with a nasty vibration.
I'm thinking it could b the rear going or a bearing now please tell me what u think

·
Registered
231 Posts
As I posted earlier raise the wheel and spin it while listening. Shake it at 12 and 6 as well at 3 and 9 for play you will notice it if there is a problem.

Remember to chuck your wheels and use jack stands for safety.

I have a noise coming from my rear passenger side,a hum with a nasty vibration.
I'm thinking it could b the rear going or a bearing now please tell me what u think

C

·
0 Posts
Keep in my I am not talking about my CTS but with my last GM all 5 GM OEM bearings, One was replaced twice that went did not have any play in them they just started with the bearing noise roar..

Did the typical rotate tires to see if the noise follows the tire and the noise would still be at the same spot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is why I recommend spinning the wheel while its off the ground. Same here most if not all never had play it was always noise.

Keep in my I am not talking about my CTS but with my last GM all 5 GM OEM bearings, One was replaced twice that went did not have any play in them they just started with the bearing noise roar..

Did the typical rotate tires to see if the noise follows the tire and the noise would still be at the same spot.

C

·
0 Posts
Even spinning the wheel by hand with that car the bearings where quiet until the load of the car was on them and driving over 20 mph

Regardless all of it is free diagnosis if you have the means to do it your self anyways

1 - 20 of 23 Posts