Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever going over bumps in the road, or speed bumps in a parking lot, or rr tracks, I get a noise coming from the car which sounds to be like struts or shocks maybe bottoming out, or just becoming old.

It's a `97 Seville STS with 78k miles on it, and the original struts. Does this sound about the time that these would be going out!? I know this vehicle uses "passive" struts, which I am not familiar with the way those work, so if someone could share some light on the subject for me, it would be appreciated!

Also, how hard are they to replace!?

--- Goobz!

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kewl! I will have a buddy help me that has a N* in his Fiero! :) Also, what's the difference with say normal McPherson's, and the McPherson's for the STS that are like 300% more in price!? Just curious!

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
The factory struts are bank. However, I have seen some of our fellow forum bro's find such at a discount...very rare oppurtunity. But most usually go with Arnott Ind. and the likes.

Another option is going with AC Delco FE1 struts....which is what I did on my 97 STS. More info can be found at:

http://maydog.dyndns.org/www/struts/97_passive_replace.html

Dude, just saw that you are from So Cal . Send me some comida from King Taco or Tommy's [email protected]! Man, I miss that stuff.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Goobz! said:
... I know this vehicle uses "passive" struts, which I am not familiar with the way those work, so if someone could share some light on the subject for me, it would be appreciated!

Also, how hard are they to replace!?

--- Goobz!

Ummm, if they are the original shocks and struts, then they are not passive; They are active. The 97 was the first year for the CVRSS system, so you will be able to trick the module using power resistors. Read Maydog's page that Closet Boy provided, it should be helpful.

After you do the fronts, make sure you get a front end alignment. Also make sure the air line clears the tire when you do the rear shocks; I had to put mine in backwards because they were touching the tires.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts