Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had any problems out of my 1990 Sedan DeVille (aka Devil-Girl), until this past Friday night. I was out running some errands, and I pulled up and parked and went inside. When I came back out, I go to crank her up and voila, nothing! Battery is good, lights bright and shiney. I've never had any problems with her period, much less start up issues. At first, I thought maybe the starter died or disconnected, or the selenoid or something, but everything looks fine. Checked the fuses and relays and all looks good there too.

Next day I call AAA and have it towed to my shop where they deduct it might be the passkey system. They are going to get me a new key on Monday and see if that will work (I only have one key). My questions are:

1. What is the likelyhood of it being a problem with the passkey system itself as opposed to just the key (or the little bead on the key)? I know the keys are pricey, but damn what if it's the part that reads the chip in the key? How the hell much is that?! heh.

2. Let's face it, this caddy is almost 16 years old, she isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but I love her just the same. But is there an easy way to just rid myself of the whole passkey fiasco? I don't really think anyone wants her besides me. :)

Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Usually the lock cylinder goes before the key does. All the back and forth motion breaks the wire where it goes into the cylinder. I'd check that first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts