Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 08
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only one whose plastic trim ring around the sunroof creaks and groans. I think I may have found the solution. I sprayed the retaining tabs on each side where they fit into the gap under the rails with DuPont Teflon Dry Lubricant (Lowe's, for about $4). The noises seem to have ceased. I'll report further soon.

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
I know I'm not the only one whose plastic trim ring around the sunroof creaks and groans. I think I may have found the solution. I sprayed the retaining tabs on each side where they fit into the gap under the rails with DuPont Teflon Dry Lubricant (Lowe's, for about $4). The noises seem to have ceased. I'll report further soon.
That would be awesome. Mine just started creaking last week. Wow, is that annoying. Is there any way to remove the trim? I think it would be much easier to fix if you could remove it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
84 Posts
There are 4 places on the sides of the hard plastic moulding that clip to the metal frame. I cut 4 pieces of card board from a coke carrier 1" X .25" and forced them between the clip and the frame. It seems to be much better.

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
There are 4 places on the sides of the hard plastic moulding that clip to the metal frame. I cut 4 pieces of card board from a coke carrier 1" X .25" and forced them between the clip and the frame. It seems to be much better.
I think I'll do that but use felt.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI RWD
27 Posts
Can you attach pix as to where you sprayed? Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
84 Posts
C6 I tried felt but it was too thick and not rigid enough. You do not see the thin cardboard once in place. So far it seems this has really helped solve the problem.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI
5 Posts
This is driving me nuts too! I've completely removed the plastic trim around the sunroof only to determine that its whats doing the creaking. When the sunroof is open, however, there is no creaking so the source of it must be related to the rails the sunroof rides on. I imagine when the sunroof is closed these empty rails have more freedom to move and thus cause the creaking.

More on this as I investigate, but if anyone has already figured it out a fix please speak up.

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Guys, I would love to see some pics, too!
I am not 100% sure where to put lubricant and/or felt...!
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI
5 Posts
Ditto on the pics, especially since the area that needs lubrication, as I understand it, is laying in my back seat and I'm still hearing a creaking sunroof.

·
Registered
CTS
28 Posts
I had my 09 to the dealer yesterday to fix a creaking sunroof. In my case, it was the rear (non-moving) glass piece. It was out of place and the adjustment fixed it - no sound at all:) The symptoms were a creek going over bumps with the sunroof closed on a hot day or with the car sitting in the sun. This is a new CTS with about 1300 miles.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI
5 Posts
I had my 09 to the dealer yesterday to fix a creaking sunroof. In my case, it was the rear (non-moving) glass piece. It was out of place and the adjustment fixed it - no sound at all:) The symptoms were a creek going over bumps with the sunroof closed on a hot day or with the car sitting in the sun. This is a new CTS with about 1300 miles.
That describes my symptoms to a tee. Any chance you have any details on what this "dealer adjustment" was?

·
Registered
2008 CTS Blackallac, FE3, Fully loaded
317 Posts
I had this adjustment done as well and the sunroof does sit noticeably lower in the back.

I still find the creaking very annoying as well, especially in the Arizona sun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts