Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Possible Dummy Solution for TPMS.

3997 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  icejava
First, sorry for posting this here but I thought this solution would probably work for Caddys too. On my wife's Lincoln, as I wait for her new set of TPMS for her new wheels/tires I just mounted, I decided to experiment with the "pressure pipe" idea.

1) Removed the old TPMS from her old wheels.
2) Mounted the TPMS into a 3" PVC pike and capped it.
3) Pressurized the pipe to 35psi.
4) Mounted it under the car.

Solutions works for Lincoln. Anyone try this for Escalades? I might buy another set of Escalade TPMS to experiment. I heard rumors that the sensors have to be "in motion" for Caddys?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
OH, FYI. At first, I tried to make the pipe shorter and mounting the TPMS at opposite ends. (see pics). But this FAILS. My ATEQ VT10 was only able to trigger 2 of them. You cannot mount them this close to each other.
I think there must be some truth to the in-motion part, because I put new rims (without TPMS sensors) on my 07, and I put the old rims with TPMS in the rear of the Escalade. It wasn't immediate, but after a day, I got the "Service TPMS" warning on the dash.

Why wouldn't you want to put the TPMS sensors on your tires? I'd recommend sticking with that because it's a federally mandated safety standard now (and could save your life!)
Hey peter,
This was an experiment/intermitten fix. I'm waiting for my new set of TPMS for my new wheels.
GM sensors turn on at around 15 mph, or that used to be the case anyway. You can drive around without the sensors, you just need to hit the reset after starting the car and you can drive without any issues
well peter and hcvone, after driving sunday and driving to work (probably about 50 miles). The "Tire Pressure Fault" did come on. So looks like the sensors need rotation. Oh well, was a fun experiment. Now I have to deal with the "fault beep" every 10min for the next 2 weeks! annoying. So both GM and FORD have the same requirements.
icejava, thanks for posting your experiment. Every little bit more of knowledge benefits us all. I don't have a set of TPMS sensors in my wheels just yet, but I do like that the Escalade doesn't have a "fault beep". My 07 Tahoe did. My 07 Escalade just shows a message in the DIC "Service TPMS". No chime. Like hvc says... hit the button and it goes away.
well peter and hcvone, after driving sunday and driving to work (probably about 50 miles). The "Tire Pressure Fault" did come on. So looks like the sensors need rotation. Oh well, was a fun experiment. Now I have to deal with the "fault beep" every 10min for the next 2 weeks! annoying. So both GM and FORD have the same requirements.
No one had sensors in stock, or could not do better than 2 weeks?
No one had sensors in stock, or could not do better than 2 weeks?
Getting a deal on ebay. Should have them soon, but the tire stores have been quite busy because of the "no studs" is now in effect here. They said 3 hour wait to get my TPMS sensors installed. I'm very impatient person. They said wait a week and it will be 30min. Hate bringing my cars for service... the thought of people who don't give a crap working on my car annoys me. My wife says I have OCD.

I might just install them myself. I have a tire mount/unmounter, balancer and the ATEQ VT10 at home. But it'll take me 4 hours to do it.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.