Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

If it has wheels there will be something about it I like.

I'm pretty active in forums for cars I own.

But I haven't bought a GM product since '97 because of a string of poor products and worse dealers.

GMs I've owned (all bought new):

'74 Chevy 350 4x4 SB. Decent vehicle; eventually turned it into hard core off roader. Dealer sucked, ex: when a power steering hose blew the 3rd day I owned it, without tools to remove the PS belt, I cut it to keep from burning up the PS pump (separate belts in those days). Dealer fought for almost two weeks to avoid paying for the belt since I chose to cut it. GM initially agreed with dealer! but finally came around.

'77 Delta 88 Royale 403. Ordered with sport suspension (FE3?). Was delivered with base springs on left front and right rear. Those corners barely touched the ground. LoL Dealer called to tell me GM won't do anything unless the car tilts more than x amount because I should have noticed before I signed the papers! I told them it does tilt more than the stated amount. They said come down so they could show me it doesn't. I swear on a stack of Bibles they had the car in a vacant back lot with the FE3 springed corners in dips in the pavement. Naturally I won my case but why did I have to?

'78 Trans Am WS6/WS7. I still have this car but it took over 6 months from order to delivery. GM offered two types of T-tops, the little ones like in Smokey and the Bandit and some much larger ones made by Hurst. Seems like whenever they had the WS6 or Hurst parts, they were out of the other. I guess its a miracle they ever had both at the same time. Of course you may know GM scratched the WS7 option on all '78 orders because they couldn't get the parts. A few cam lobes in the engine wore down to nubs on a cross country trip at about 6 months. I was stuck in Oklahoma for a week and even then the dealer put the wrong camshaft in. The selling dealer once rerouted AC air to blow inside the dash after I mentioned the squeak they were trying to fix never happened in cold weather. Dealer went on to become Gov or Arizona.

'79 Toronado. Dealer cussed me out when my CU strong armed them into taking my pre-order for well under invoice when they were getting over sticker. Seemed they forgot to rescind a letter they sent the CU offering Toros for well under invoice the year ealrier. Then GM downsized the car and demand skyrocketed. Sales Manager actually threw the keys at me from several yards away when I showed up to take delivery. The car had FireMist paint (an early multi-step paint) and the driver door got beat up on the rail car. I actually worked near the train yard at the time and had been watching for my car and saw the damage before it got to the dealer. Anyway, they could never get the door to match the rest of the car. The car had a brake bias problem and ate the front (maybe the back - memory fades) pads in under 5k miles. My wife drove the car and the first I knew was when she said she could barely make the car stop! No pads available. Left at dealer for the week it took to get them. One of those days, my car passes me going the other way. I swung around and followed a dealer employee while he ran errands and apparently had a nooner, all with no brake pads on one end of the car. Did I mention the FIVE $250+ dollar wire wheel covers they had to replace under warranty before they installed locks? I drove the car on occasion and would do more spirited cornering than Olds anticipated. The steel wheels would flex and the (seemed like) 50 lb wheel covers would sail off due to centrifugal force. They didn't believe me at first until I showed them I could dislodge them at will in their parking lot. They wanted me to pay for locks. They replaced 4 or 5 covers before deciding to put the locks on with their own dime. Thinking back, its lucky some bystander didn't get Odd Job'ed by one of those flying caps.

'79 GMC SB stepside 4x4. Siamesed 400 CID small block had the fairly common major engine problems from the inadequate cooling.

That was enough GMs for me for a decade or so. I never had a bit of trouble with any of the foreign brands I owned in that span. However, I did buy an '88 CRX Si from a store in the same chain as the Pontiac dealer that tried to "steal" my engine. True to form, when a kid learning to drive with his parents in the car nudged the rear bumper cover on the Honda, pulling it loose, their body shop estimated $1200 for repairs including straightening the unibody. Mind you the impact was so slight I never even felt it. So I just popped the cover back on with a new 75 cent connector instead. You never saw a kid (or parents) so relieved).

After GM finished their 10 year sentence....

'91 GMC Syclone. Never ending problems. It was constantly in the shop for minor problems to major ones like ABS (I think this was one of GM's 1st) and front driveshafts.

Swore GM off again for awhile. Again mostly foreign cars with zero issues but a few Ford and Dodge products with relatively few issues.

'95 and '97 Firebird Formula. The '95 was plowed into by another driver and totaled. I Ordered an identical '97. Both were fun but were in the shop probably average of once a week. While the '97 was in for yet another little problem, dealer called to say they were going to replace my engine for a cracked block. I asked how they came to that conclusion and they said they saw drops of water in the oil pan when they removed it. Uhh, the car was in for a tail light short, why was the pan off? They didn't have an explanation. So I had the car towed to another dealer and it checked out fine. Service manager there said he thinks the manager at the 1st dealer was scamming GM warranty and selling good parts they took out of people's cars. If true, I guess a GM rep had to be involved because I can't imaging GM just paying for an engine without confirmation or wanting the old motor back to study. That dealer was later busted for doing unnecessary work on customers' cars and mailing out bogus recall notices to get people in the shop so they could "find" other problems needing work..

That was GMs third time at bat (although several cars per at bat). I gave them a life sentence as a 3 time loser.

Since then mix of Ford, Chrysler and some foreign. Several of the Fords and Chrysler vehicles never needed warranty work.

GM is up for parole now and I'm thinking seriously about an ATS 2.0 manual. Car seems like a home run.

·
Super Moderator
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do it! Do it!
Am hoping the dealers have improved as much as the cars. The Cadillac dealer seems to be good.

The dealer I bought the last Ford from was good. I wanted a pretty rare combo (white, with performance package and nothing else) and too late in the MY to order one. Nearest one was a few states away and I made arrangements to buy it and drive back.

But a snow storm hit the day before I was to pick it up and I wasn't going to drive the new car thru the mountains in snow. You couldn't even put chains on the stock wheel/tires plus it had summer only tires. So I called a local intenet sales manager and told him I wanted a white Performance package car with no other options. All I had found in the many local Ford dealers were two metallic school bus colored and one red one and all were loaded down with heavy options.

The guy called me back and said he found a blue one in town that wasn't in the inventories because one dealer had took it as a swap for another car and hadn't updated the files. I said I'd take it if it looks and drives okay and he swapped it for one of their cars based on nothing but that.

I was probably at the dealer less than an hour. I introduced myself to the sales manager, did a walk around and test drive and gave them a check. BUT another Ford local Ford dealer rep kept sending me emails and leaving phone messages about every car they had or could get; not one had any of the features I said were mandatory. And when I threatened to go to his boss, I received an email from said boss apologizing. The email headers showed it coming from the rep's private email; the clown was masquerading as his own boss. loL What a tool.

To bring it full circle, that tool of a Ford rep worked for the Ford store with the same name as the Cadillac store I'm talking to. How ironic.

C

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the site

I guess the pressure is on Gm to impress you with a first year model ATS without any problems.

·
Super Moderator
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the site

I guess the pressure is on GM to impress you with a first year model ATS without any problems.
I'm impressed by the ATS for sure. And I suspect GM quality has improved a lot just as Ford's and Chrysler's have. My 2004 Dodge Ram (110k miles) and 2011 Ford Mustang (24k miles) have never been to a dealer for warranty work. My Cadillac dealer probably has a good service department (haven't researched yet). But if the ATS is engineered and built as well as my Dodge and Ford, a disreputable or incompetent service department could be almost irrelevant.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,394 Posts
WOW! You have not had good luck. Seeing as you never have owned a Cadillac before, perhaps this is the one for GM to get it right? :lol: Either way, good luck and welcome!!

C

·
0 Posts
I'm impressed by the ATS for sure. And I suspect GM quality has improved a lot just as Ford's and Chrysler's have. My 2004 Dodge Ram (110k miles) and 2011 Ford Mustang (24k miles) have never been to a dealer for warranty work. My Cadillac dealer probably has a good service department (haven't researched yet). But if the ATS is engineered and built as well as my Dodge and Ford, a disreputable or incompetent service department could be almost irrelevant.
Like you I have had problems with every Gm I have ever owned I kinda learned to expect it but it does matter to me how it is handled and taken care of.
Most of my negative experience has been with the dealership service departments and staff.
It gets pretty bad when GM customer service can't do nothing but shuffle you to the next dealer service department hoping the problem gets resolved..
That was with Chevy & Pontiac, I know Cadillac is the best rated brand of GM with problems.
But I am still going in to it expecting a few problems, I wont mind it as long as they just take care of it..

So far Cadillac has been really good, the 2 problems I have had they just said We will take care of that for you and did they did..

·
Registered
STS 1SF Black V8 2006
456 Posts
Welcome to the site ! Im a hoosier myself. IU undergrad. And a cadillac driver from the breaking away days.. Good luck with the ats. However in that price range you have to check out audi a4 turbo, subaru turbo, and the bmw awd xi turbo. Lot of competition for your money.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Welcome! Myself and a few in my family have also had problems with GM cars as well but the latest products we bought have been trouble free. My mom put 50k apiece on a '05 Yukon XL and an '08 Yukon XL Denali with no issues at all. My dad has 130k on his '07 Sierra Classic Duramax and it has been great and my brother has an '03 Sierra SLT that's had minor issues but nothing crazy. On the other hand, I had a 2000 Seville STS that was in constant need of attention and my grandfather just traded in an '06 Impala SS with less than 50k miles because of an oil consumption problem along with a transmission that was beginning to slip. He bought an '13 LaCrosse to replace it and the first 1k have been flawless.

I have noticed a steady improvement in quality and reliability in GM's latest cars and I can personally say the ATS is one fine vehicle. If and when I replace my BMW, I will head to my Cadillac dealership and pick up an ATS 2.0. Good luck and hopefully you can enjoy the ATS!

12,778 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Hoosier Daddy! We're excited to see what decision you make regarding the ATS - let us know if we can help you locate a vehicle in your area. All we would need is your ZIP code and any must-heave features.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Welcome!

I won't say all the weak dealers are gone but this economy has provided motivation for most businesses to improve their focus on customers, just to survive. I've had very good support from two nearby dealers and this generation of Cadillacs is superior to those of the 80's & 90's.

·
Super Moderator
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I guess I'm no longer a prospective buyer. I will be buying an ATS Performance, 2.0 Turbo, Manual transmission.

Every market is different. My local dealers open with invoice prices but I haven't tried to negotiate further yet. And that may be a good deal but I've purchased close to 40 new vehicles and its not uncommon for dealers to dip into their incentives or hold backs, etc. to make a sale they wouldn't get otherwise.

My question is: are there Cadillac dealers with fleet/internet departments that cater to (the members of) large forums. I've owned more GM vehicles than any other brand but none since the 90's. I know when I bought a Ford product a few years back, there were a few large dealers that specialized in extremely aggressive pricing for forum members willing to travel long distances to make the purchase. I'm retired and love road trips so would definitely travel pretty much anywhere in the states and let their lower prices pay for part of my road trip.

I looked thru the various forums (including vendors, etc..) and didn't see anything like that and maybe they don't exist, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Since I want a Performance in a specific color with no options accept what's part of the Performance collection, Nav and manual trans, the car will probably have to be ordered. It will be a cash purchase if that makes any difference to any dealers who do this (special pricing for club/forum/etc members).

----------

:welcome: Love your screen name!:lol:
Thanks. I must have missed your post earlier. As you might expect, I'm from Indiana originally. My son used to race. He won a world championship in a minor class and many state and regional championships but ironically no national championship. Anyway, many people in that circle just knew me as xxxx's dad. Liking puns, I just slapped the two together for forum names. Its usually one word. Since I have a space between them here, it probably means there was already someone using the single word version when I tried to register here.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,394 Posts
You MIGHT give Rippy Cadillac a shot. I do know they give forum members great prices on prices for car parts. Now a whole automobile is a different story, but it never hurts to ask.

Glad you decided on a Cadillac. You'll love it :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome! Myself and a few in my family have also had problems with GM cars as well but the latest products we bought have been trouble free........

I have noticed a steady improvement in quality and reliability in GM's latest cars and I can personally say the ATS is one fine vehicle. If and when I replace my BMW, I will head to my Cadillac dealership and pick up an ATS 2.0. Good luck and hopefully you can enjoy the ATS!
That's really good to hear. As mentioned, I've been pleasantly surprised by the improvements at the other two big US automakers in the last decade and was hoping GM had done the same.

----------

Welcome to the forum, Hoosier Daddy! We're excited to see what decision you make regarding the ATS - let us know if we can help you locate a vehicle in your area. All we would need is your ZIP code and any must-heave features.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service
Hi Sarah and Katie and any other Customer service reps,

Car makers really help improve the quality of dealer service (and other) departments by your presence and actions. I've seen the good work your counterparts from other brands have done and suspect your efforts are as valuable to the Cadillac community.

----------

You MIGHT give Rippy Cadillac a shot. I do know they give forum members great prices on prices for car parts. Now a whole automobile is a different story, but it never hurts to ask.

Glad you decided on a Cadillac. You'll love it :thumbsup:
Thanks! I'm off to contact Rippy.

----------

Welcome to the site ! Im a hoosier myself. IU undergrad. And a cadillac driver from the breaking away days.. Good luck with the ats. However in that price range you have to check out audi a4 turbo, subaru turbo, and the bmw awd xi turbo. Lot of competition for your money.
Hi fellow Hoosier. You from around where they filmed the movie? I hope you consider me a true Hoosier. I'm from Evansville which means if you go ~50 miles, North, South, East or West you're in another state. The rest of the state is all North-East. LoL

This will be my 1st Cadillac. I would have had a '78 (or whatever year they downsized) El Dorado but a local Olds dealer made a HUGE pricing mistake on Toronados that I had the opportunity to be the sole beneficiary of.

I feel like Audi is kind of milking their older tech 2.0 turbo. It's rated and feels slower to me than the ATS or 3 series 2.0 turbos. And the Audi, just isn't as exiting looking (to me) as the ATS.

I much prefer a RWD for this car, so it was pretty much just 328i, C Class or ATS. The C Class didn't push my buttons. Same for the 3's interior but they forfeited anyway because NONE of the dealers in the state EVER order manual transmissions for inventory! I'm going to have to order my ATS but I had no trouble finding them to test drive. I wouldn't even consider buying a power train I never experienced and wasn't going to waste time trying to find a used 328i manual to drive.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Any special forum friendly dealers? No, not really. Years ago, Chesrown in Ohio had aggressive pricing on Vs. And Scott Pratt at Superior would whore himself something fierce for a sale. But he and that dealership are both gone.

Rippy and Lindsay Cadillac have a great presence here for Cadillac parts. Lindsay, in Alexandria, VA also has a great service dept that I can personally vouch for.

As for salesmen, Cadillac Tony is here on the forums and is the most stand up guy you'll find. He works for Plaza Cadillac in FL.

But if you're just looking for bargain basement pricing, there's nothing of note here...

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
^^^ I know that bit about being always called your son's dad! My son was a competitive equestrian and competed on both the "A" (first rank national/Western regional shows) and "B" ( local Southern California or lower level regional shows) circuit in Hunter/Jumpers being ranked 17th nationally back in the '90's. During that whole time I was always known and addressed as "Ian's Dad" or if otherwise as ".....'s Friend" from Dressage riders at their shows. If someone forgot my real name, I'd just tell them "call me Ian's check book!" I am msure thatere are many who may still rmember me but have no idea what first name is!

·
Super Moderator
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good call about Rippy. Thanks! They offered an incredible price to order the car. I was looking forward to a road trip to get it home from North Carolina. Then something happened that meant I might not be able to get away long enough to drive it back. So I ended up ordering from a dealer just a few hours away. Local dealers were stuck on invoice for some reason, but I guess every market and every dealer is different.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts