Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, do the 2008 CTS 3.6 Direct Fuel Injection cars have any major known problems. Also what is the difference between the 3.6 and the 3.6 Direct Fuel Injection engines. Thanks!

·
Registered
NONE
7 Posts
I spoke to a GM mechanic about this earlier today. There have been some timing chain issues with both 3.6L engines. However, the people that seem to be having these issues are the people who don't know how to pop the hood on their cars, never mind check the oil. There have been plenty of people come in complaining the car has 'no power', and when you take the car out, the oil is off the dipstick. I believe that checking the oil periodically, and topping it off when necessary will avoid this problem for the most part. The fact that this issue seems to be unknown to enthusiasts speaks volumes to the fact that this is more of a maintenance issue then a design issue.

Other then that, the HFV6 engines have proven reliable.

The primary difference between the regular and DI V6 engine is the way the fuel is injected. In the regular incarnation, fuel is added to the intake air in front of the intake valve. In the DI engine, fuel is injected at high pressure directly into the combustion chamber on the intake stroke. The DI engines run higher compression, and pump out a bit more power.

There are other minor differences as well.

·
Registered
2008 CTS - 3.6 DI AWD - Black Raven
16 Posts
I spoke to a GM mechanic about this earlier today. There have been some timing chain issues with both 3.6L engines. However, the people that seem to be having these issues are the people who don't know how to pop the hood on their cars, never mind check the oil. There have been plenty of people come in complaining the car has 'no power', and when you take the car out, the oil is off the dipstick. I believe that checking the oil periodically, and topping it off when necessary will avoid this problem for the most part. The fact that this issue seems to be unknown to enthusiasts speaks volumes to the fact that this is more of a maintenance issue then a design issue.

You are dead wrong. I check my oil manually atleast every two weeks and always top it up when needed (which is very infrequently). Despite this, the timing chain on my 2008 went at 27,000km. Please look around this forum and see how many of us have had or timing chains replaced. And we're all enthusiasts posting on here. While affecting what I'm sure is a small number of total CTSs out there, the timing chain seems to be the biggest problem reported on here with the engine. Your theory on oil is irrelevant to this issue. It was an issue with the chain itself.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,540 Posts
I did check around, and you are right, seems to crop up everywhere under closer inspection.

Have they released a new chain that solves the problem?
Unfortunately only GM knows the answer.......my dealer has no idea if there is any difference between "old" and "new" timing chains. Very unsetling...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So does the chain break, or just start rattling, and does this apply to the 08 cars only? Are all the 08-09 CTS cars RWD and/or AWD? Also, what would the VIN# be for the non DI and the DI? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
does anyone know how much the timing chain replacement would be, or is it included in the warranty. also is there a way to tell if the timing chain is starting to go?
It is included in the warranty. Out of warranty my dealer gave me an estimate of $2,000.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
So does the chain break, or just start rattling, and does this apply to the 08 cars only? Are all the 08-09 CTS cars RWD and/or AWD? Also, what would the VIN# be for the non DI and the DI? Thanks!
No, it does not break. You will get CEL (check engine light). Expect code P008.

This is so common problem that dealer actually stock the timiing chains. My dealer is doing 2 to 3 cars a week! Some people reported dealers keep a fully dedicated mechanic to deal with this issue.

·
Registered
2017 MB E400 Cabriolet
374 Posts
does anyone know how much the timing chain replacement would be, or is it included in the warranty. also is there a way to tell if the timing chain is starting to go?
Here's a novel approach -try s.e.a.r.c.h. :helpless:

All these things have been beaten to death over the years. (Might as well try sunroof creaks, back deck rattles, hesitation, heated washer fluid and more while you're at it).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The new and improved chain was not introduced to production until middle of 2010 production. The design is different and should solve the problem.
Does it mean that the new timing chains dealers are installing now is the "new and improved" design?
I had new timing chains installed a moth or so ago. How would I know the problem is not going to pop up again? The dealer had no answer for me.

·
Registered
2006 XLR
467 Posts
Generally soon after the upgrade part is introduced to production they are available at SPO for service parts and warranty. My 2011 Enclave has the same exact engine and was built 6//14/10 and i too delivery 6/30/10 and have confirmed the new chain & sprockets are in the engine.
Your dealer can check the PN and tell you if its the latest design.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, as long as the chain is covered under warranty then I don't see it being that big of a deal. I tried using the forum's search feature for the proper VIN letter or number to distinguish between a DI or the non DI, however I haven't been successful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.