Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've owned my CTS for almost a month now, on two different occasions I've had EVERYTHING on the car reset itself for no reason at all. All the DIC information such as fuel economy, odometer, etc have reset all to 0 out of the blue. Everytime this happens, the Cd changer in-dash will make a lot of noise for atleast 2-3 minutes. (it sounds like it's changing discs around non-stop.) Has anyone had this happen before? When it does happen, the DIC/radio will stop responding. It's just annoying to have everything reset when you're trying to keep track of mileage, etc. I only have one set of keys BTW, so it's not like it's changing personalization settings or anything. It almost acts as if the battery were disconnected and everything with all settings lost? :rant2:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
It used to be a common problem. It requires changing out the radio and CD changer. Take it to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty. If the warranty has expired it's going to cost you about $1000. There's a TSB about CD shuffling and odometer reset.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
This should solve your problem.

Subject: Trip/Odometer/Time/Fuel Used Displays Reset by Themselves, Six Disc CD Changer Randomly Shuffles/Reinitializes, Radio may Display Lines with No Alphanumeric Characters, XM/RSE Volume Lower than Intern #05-08-44-002 - (01/31/2005)

Models: 2004-2005 Cadillac CTS, SRX

with Level 1 and 1.5 Radios (RPOs U2R, U2S)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

• The Driver Information Center (DIC) trip odometer, timer or fuel used displays may intermittently reset to zero by themselves.

• The six disc CD changer may randomly shuffle or reinitialize by itself.

• The radio may display lines with no alphanumeric characters.

• The audio volume of external sources, XM Radio and Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE), is lower than the radio internal sources, AM/FM/CD.

Cause
This condition may be caused by software anomalies.

Correction

U.S. Dealers
Technicians are to replace the radio with an exchange unit to be obtained from Specmo Enterprises in Madison Heights, Michigan. Specmo's telephone numbers are (248) 307-2570 or (800) 545-7911. Specmo Enterprises is the only Authorized Electronic Service Center that stocks these exchange radios.

Canadian Dealers
Exchange unit to be obtained from an authorized ACDelco Radio Centre.

Refer to the Radio Replacement procedure in SI for radio replacement instructions for both vehicles (SI Document ID #702067). Be sure to perform the radio setup procedure that is a required part of the radio replacement procedure. Refer to the Radio Setup procedure in SI for more information (Document ID #1420146 for the CTS, Document ID #1470416 for the SRX).

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2005 with 63,400 miles. I have a warranty from the dealership, but it only covers the powertrain for 3,000 miles. Go Figure. Grr.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
A junker might give you another radio with the same software issue.

Cash money this will cost $$$ pretty big I think.
They send us exchange units with the new software flashed into them.
We cannot flash those radios in the field like we can on some.

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the problem with the radio itself, or the DIC? If the radio was removed and an aftermarket unit installed, would the problem still be there? In other words, I'm talking about doing the mod where you cut out the cd changer/radio, and leave the DIC with a double din slot under it. Would that solve the problem, or would the DIC still reset itself?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
The DIC would still reset itself. On mine the CD's would shuffle every once in a while and the DIC would have all the values go to zero once in a while. It looks to me like you can pick up a junkyard radio for a couple hundred bucks. You might get one of the guys here who have swapped for a NAV to make you a deal.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It is a software anomaly inside the radio itself.
The replacement units have updated software.
Changing to an aftermarket head would eliminate the issue, but it would eliminate the information center and the factory features that are built into it.
I don't know what the options are for CTS since this is such a big unit.
Some folks have had some interesting ideas but I am not sure what the outcome was. I am sure it cost some money too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts