Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys at Cad Company say that thier PCIII intake is a basically a ported Edelbrock 2115. What does "ported" mean. I know it may sound stupid but I don't know. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Ported means the port or passages in the intake manifold to the heads have been machined out for improved flow and increased capacity. Typically the inside surfaces are smoothed out and the size of the port at the head is matched with the opening of the head.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Edelbrock 2115 manifold or the PCIII manifold that the guys at Cad Company were refering to. I can only guess that the Edelbrock manifold might be a replacement for OEM and possibly Cad Co. took it and improved on it by porting it out? Just a guess.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
I think that when Cad Co. is saying that the PCIII is basically a ported Edelbrock 2115 is that it is not an Edelbrock 2115, but their own, which flows as good as a ported Edelbrock 2115

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sasquatch said:
I don't understand why a manufacturer like Edelbrock would not already have all these bases covered.
The big reason is that Eddy just casts the intakes. Castings don't come out perfectly every time. They also want to sell to alot of people, so they want low prices.
Porting takes a fair amount of time (even on just the intake manifold) and Eddy doesn't want to pay people to port each intake by hand, because then the price of the intakes would go up.

Also, when you say 'all their bases covered' they probably do. Where do you want to build power? Porting it probably removes some lowend torque in favor of midrange and higher end torque. The performer intakes are designed to be a stock replacement and make power from idle, so they don't want to hog out the runners too much. BUT, they are aluminum intakes, so they are very easy for those of us who want more power to port out to our tastes.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
The 2115 is far from a stock replacement manifold. It's no Bulldog, but it's not just there to look pretty and save weight. When was the last time you saw a stock 500 hitting 5500rpm? The 2115 is a good piece for the price but it has distribution problems. Some cyls get more air/fuel than others. CadCo starts off with a 2115 and tries to correct this and to correct any casting problems like flash around the edges. I dunno how well they correct the issues or if it's worth it, but there you go...

·
Registered
26 Posts
davesdeville said:
The 2115 is far from a stock replacement manifold. It's no Bulldog, but it's not just there to look pretty and save weight. When was the last time you saw a stock 500 hitting 5500rpm? The 2115 is a good piece for the price but it has distribution problems. Some cyls get more air/fuel than others. CadCo starts off with a 2115 and tries to correct this and to correct any casting problems like flash around the edges. I dunno how well they correct the issues or if it's worth it, but there you go...

:tisk: They also paint it black! :rofl:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is anybody running either a 2115 or a PCIII? How was the change out from the stock intake? Difficult? Time involved? Make a big difference in performance?

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
kjc said:
:tisk: They also paint it black! :rofl:
Oops I forgot about that. We all know black is faster than silver, it absorbs more heat and uhh the fuel vaporizes more completely. Yeah that's it. :cookoo: :rofl:

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Sasquatch said:
Is anybody running either a 2115 or a PCIII? How was the change out from the stock intake? Difficult? Time involved? Make a big difference in performance?
Switching out intakes isn't very hard or time consuming. it's just unbolting and re-bolting.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
I've never ran an aftermarket intake yet on a 500 but I've taken a stocker off and put it back on. It's a couple hour job tops, marking vac lines and pulling the carb, unbolting the manifold, replacing everything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the 2115 on my 472, and it's a pretty killer intake - however I installed it along with new heads, cam, exhaust, carb, and dist. So I can't give a before and after comparison. I may do some porting before it goes on the 500, I'll post it if I do. Porting makes me nervous... miss one little shaving cleaning up and :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
terrible one