Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, Guys useing the ThrumbDrive for music...
Will a Portable Peripherals 4GB USB Hard Drive work the same as a ThumbDrive

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
217 Posts
It should work since it would be considered a "USB Mass Storage Drive"
but I dont find it feasible based on its size in comparison to thumb drives and its an actual hard disk drive lol
thumbdrives are quite cheap now and they are available in small form factors as well.
but yeah, it should work.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should work since it would be considered a "USB Mass Storage Drive"
but I dont find it feasible based on its size in comparison to thumb drives and its an actual hard disk drive lol
thumbdrives are quite cheap now and they are available in small form factors as well.
but yeah, it should work.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, including shipping the THREE Portable Peripherals 4GB USB Hard Drive cost me a a tad under 20 USD

figured that was a fair price... maybe not...

thanks

·
Registered
Formerly 09 CTS-V, Red; now 16 CTS-V, Red
304 Posts
My guess is that the Portable Peripherals 4GB USB Hard Drive pulls more power from the USB bus for its operation than a flash (thumb) drive. Still, it would be a low power requirement. Does anyone know the power spec for our USB port? At three/$20, it's worth trying it out.

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
The only worry you have it's a hard drive with movable parts.
I hooked up a 320Gig portable drive. It works for a bit, brake a little to hard and the drive stops and looses sync.
Stick with the thumb drives. I've got a 32Gig, like $60. It can't quite read all the folders. System recognizes around 3700 songs for me.
16 gig thumb drive is ideal. With 32gig, the OS gets pretty slow bringing up folder/album lists

If you have 4 gigs worth of music, burn in on a DVD. It's fits around 72 albums on one MP3-DVD.

Hans.

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
I am using a 16g thumbdrive. The first time you plug it in it takes awhile to sync all your stuff but after zero problems. I leave it in 24/7.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
I've had good luck with my 16gb thumb drive, too, but had to remove all the folders and files that were pre-installed on it before the system would accept the drive. Question for you computer jocks/audiophiles: Does the sound quality of the playback increase if the same files are burned on a DVD vs. a thumb drive?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sound quality is determined by the mp3 bit rate and quality of the encoder. 256kbps or 320kbps are virtually indistinguable from the raw CD.
You can copy the mp3s directly from a DVD to the internal HD as well. Just press the record button while playing songs from the CD/DVD.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
Sound quality is determined by the mp3 bit rate and quality of the encoder. 256kbps or 320kbps are virtually indistinguable from the raw CD.
Sorry, I'm not an audiophile so I need some clarification. Are you implying that the actual music files themselves determine the playback quality, regardless of the medium used to record them? Or does the system used (DVD vs. USB thumb drive) determine that?

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's all digital. The medium doesn't matter. You can play back regular CDs, which would be the best quality, since it's 16bit 44.1Khz raw.
( Not talking DVD Audio/SACD).
But you can compress them using your favorite mp3 compressor (lame mp3) to 1/10th of the size and very little loss of quality.
The whether you burn them on a CD or DVD or thumb drive, doesn't matter.

·
Registered
cts v
212 Posts
please pardon my complete ignorance, but i would love to know what you guys are talking about. are you putting music on thumbdrives and then plugging them in the port in the console? is this better than an ipod or just another way to play your personal digital music library?

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
217 Posts
surgin
It's just another way... I first bought an ipod thinking that music playback would decrease in functionality if I used a thumbdrive, for example shuffle, playlists, genres, etc. then I realized that a thumbdrive would do the same job exactly, I felt bad for buying an ipod (i'm anti-mac and they dont sell zunes around here lol). thumbdrives do exactly what the ipod does because its completely controlled through the car so it doesn't differ, so the ipod only acts as a storage, might as well get a thumbdrive since they're dirt cheap now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
please pardon my complete ignorance, but i would love to know what you guys are talking about. are you putting music on thumbdrives and then plugging them in the port in the console? is this better than an ipod or just another way to play your personal digital music library?
Exactly. There is a USB port in the armrest, where you can plug in a USB thumb drive or hard drive. It will scan the drive for folder that contain mp3 files and pickup the mp3 tag for each file. It will record artist name, album name and song name. On a big drive i can take several minutes to scan the whole drive the first time you plug it in. But after that, next time your start the car, it only takes a few seconds and you have your whole library of music at the tip of your fingers!

It recognizes mp3, wma and it might do ogg files as well (don't really use those).

The onboard music system is very flexible. There is a DVD drive when you can put in CDs, mp3 CDs, DVDs or MP3 DVDS. You can create 4gig mp3-dvds that hold around 70 albums. You can even create 8G dual layer DVDs with 140 albums. (4gig dvd= 25 cents, 8 gig dvd is a buck or two).

There is a 40 gig hard drive that contains the Nav maps and other stuff. But around 9-10 gigs is reserved for audio. It also has a database of all CD titles, so when you drop in a CD, it recognizes it and tells you the title of each song.

You can copy a regular CD that you insert into the drive, or you can copy the mp3s from a CD or DVD directly to the HD. Just hit the record button.

And last but not least, your can record an hour worth of radio or XM.
When your listening to the radio, you can rewind, pause and replay just like a tivo.
Before you shut of the car, hit the pause button, and it will record the current radio station for upto an hour while you are shopping. When you get back, start the car and you never missed a thing.

So, you have AM, FM, XM, CD/DVD/mp3-CD/mp3-DVD, internal Hard drive, thumb drive/portable HD, ipod or iphone / AUX input for any other mp3 player or audio device. Did i forget anything?

I convert *everything* to mp3. It's the most universal format for your music. Lame mp3 is a very good mp3 encoder. Razorlame is a GUI front end for lame.
I use 160-256 vbr. The USB port is limited to 16g-32G.

Hans.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hans pretty much said it all, except for one important tidbit:

-----------------------------------------------------------

or

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
thumbdrives do exactly what the ipod does because its completely controlled through the car so it doesn't differ, so the ipod only acts as a storage, might as well get a thumbdrive since they're dirt cheap now.
Not to muddy the waters a bit, but this isn't 100% true. The two devices are treated differently.

iPod: This is treated as: an iPod (big surprise). You control it through the stereo input, but the sound is coming from the iPod, through its headphone jack. The stereo is NOT playing the files that are on the iPod. It's telling the iPod: "Play track #204". The iPod responds by playing track #204 and the sound you hear is the iPod's interpretation of that file. When you connect your iPod to iTunes on your computer, it's treated as mass storage. But not when you connect it to your CTS-V.

The only real benefit of using the iPod is that you can play file types with it that the stereo can't support. Such as Apple's lossless codec (M4A files). The downside? iPods are expensive "storage".

Thumb drive: This is treated as a USB mass storage device. In other words, it's just another disk drive. The stereo must scan the entire drive and cache two things:
1. The index of the entire drive
2. The ID3 information from all of the MP3s.

(I assume it's caching all this information to the built-in hard disk).

This takes a while, and, the more files you have (and larger the drive you have) the longer it'll take. That means: the first time you plug the thumb drive in, you'll be without music for a certain number of minutes while the stereo does its caching.

The benefit: dirt cheap storage. 32G thumb drives can be had for $60. The downside: you're limited to the file types that the stereo can handle (MP3s, some OGGs). And, the aforementioned caching that happens first time.

I'd prefer to have my music stored in Apple's lossless codec, because they just sound better. But, 32G iPods are needlessly expensive, so I don't do that. I just stick with the thumbs and 320kbit MP3s.

jas

·
Registered
none...yet
370 Posts
A big benefit of thumbdrives is that they are purely electronic. Every file is stored on a memory chip, vs a HDD which is an electro-mechanical device.
'Nothing is perfect' is a given, but a thumbdrive is generally faster, and more reliable as there are no moving parts. It's just a memory chip.

FWIW, the latest rage in computer data storage (including running your OS) is Solid-state HDD's (ie a big memory chip).

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
239 Posts
A big benefit of thumbdrives is that they are purely electronic. Every file is stored on a memory chip, vs a HDD which is an electro-mechanical device.
Amen. The CD player in my 97 XK8 would skip every time I cross rail road tracks.

The USB in my CTS-V will never skip, no matter how aggressively I drive.

I have a 16 Gig USB device in my car, and I find the first time I plug it in that although it does take a long time to scan everything, I can still pretty quickly access the Folder view while the scan is going on, so I can get to my music as I wish even before the scan that allows Album/Artist sorting, is done.

The 1 downside I've experienced with MP3 versus CD media, is that I have each song on every CD ripped to separate MP3 files. However a lot of artists' songs actually blend from one song to the next. Meaning that when I listen to some "CDs" via USB, there's a momentary break in sound as one song ends and the next begins. I suppose if I ripped a CD as a single MP3 that would address the problem, but then create an "addressing" problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
1971 Eldorado Conv., 2009 CTS V
8 Posts
I have a question concerning the use of a thumb drive. I have taken the songs from itunes of the home computer that I wish to have in the car. I have loaded them onto the hard drive in the car to find that some of the older songs do not show up. They appear to have been transfered to the thumb drive but not from it to the car. I was able to overcome this by burning them to a CD and then loading them into the car using the record button but there are not titles for the songs just a generic name which I can not recall. This I suspect is because the songs are not recognized by the system included in the car. (I for get what the recognition system is called) Can someone explain what might be happening if the car does not accept certain songs from the thumb drive and too any errors I may have shared or performed? I am at best a novice with this system but my turntable will simply not fit in the car.

Jeff

·
Registered
Formerly 09 CTS-V, Red; now 16 CTS-V, Red
304 Posts
The songs might be newer than the version of the GraceNotes database loaded on your HDD. Just a possibility.

The GM Nav Disc Center sells updates for the GraceNotes database, as well as navigation disc updates.

·
Registered
413 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The gracenote database only contains a list of a complete original mastered CDs. It can't recognize individual songs burned on a CD.

Some Itune songs are protected by Digital Rights Management. Itunes doen't always allow those songs to be transferred.
You can burn the protected songs to a CD and then rip the CD to mp3. Of course that reduces the quality.
Best is to buy unprotected mp3s.

Hans.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts